Motor City Sonics

Game 4. Detroit Lions @ Dallas Cowboys. Will The Real Big D Please Stand Up!

Here's the difference between WCF and Martha. WCF was loyal to a fault. He stuck with Russ Thomas for over 20 years who had 3 playoff appearances in over 20 years. He didn't even fire Thomas. Thomas retired. He extended Millen after it was clear he was in over his head. It took an 0-16 season and convincing by the family to fire him and he just hired the next man up. Meanwhile, Martha came in and fired Mayhew only one year removed from an 11-5 season. She consulted with experts, interviewed qualified candidates from successful organizations, and hired a well regarded candidate. She let him clean house and stood out of his way. There's not much you can ask from an owner. If this Quinn thing fails, I don't blame Martha. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Here's the difference between WCF and Martha. WCF was loyal to a fault. He stuck with Russ Thomas for over 20 years who had 3 playoff appearances in over 20 years. He didn't even fire Thomas. Thomas retired. He extended Millen after it was clear he was in over his head. It took an 0-16 season and convincing by the family to fire him and he just hired the next man up. Meanwhile, Martha came in and fired Mayhew only one year removed from an 11-5 season. She consulted with experts, interviewed qualified candidates from successful organizations, and hired a well regarded candidate. She let him clean house and stood out of his way. There's not much you can ask from an owner. If this Quinn thing fails, I don't blame Martha. 

its really too early to blame martha.  the old man was the worst owner in sports for all the reasons you cited.  martha needs a little time.

its not off to a great start, but its still a little early.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

But nonetheless, those decisions are hers. And she 's responsible. 

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

good post. You can't really ask anymore of an Octogenarian socialite than Martha has done. Quinn may be the wrong man bu t Martha did more due diligence than WC ever did.

18 minutes ago, Buddha said:

its really too early to blame martha.  the old man was the worst owner in sports for all the reasons you cited.  martha needs a little time.

As an owner, all you can do is hire qualified GM's and get out of their way. Ilitch gets a lot of praise as an owner but we seem to forget how bad the Tigers were in the 90's and early 2000's. It was Ilitch's GM who he hired that put together that 119 loss team. It wasn't until after 14 years that the Tigers made the playoffs. Turnarounds happen faster in football than baseball, but there's only so much you can do. Martha is being vilified because she has the Ford last name. 

25 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

This season, statistically speaking, was over when we started out 0-2. Oh well...next year.

A billionaire considers only making $50 million over 5 or 7 years as losing money. They figure they could have made much more money at something else. They don't think the same way we do.

They sure don't, bro. There are 12 games left. See what happens when they play the division.

23 minutes ago, Buddha said:

agree, give quinn 5 drafts. then we will see

other than the jets game, the lions were expected to lose.  being 1-3 was about what you think from this team given that defense.

1 minute ago, jb84 said:

agree, give quinn 5 drafts. then we will see

definitely too early to judge.  but when you fire a guy after 9-7 saying that's not good enough, it puts a lot of pressure on you.

i dont really see them going 10-6 this year.  so what does he say when they go 6-10?  

and i thought it was a good move to fire caldwell.  they werent going anywhere with him.  my problem with quinn is only his lack of attention to the front seven.  well, that and jarad davis over reuben foster.  ;)

oh, and teez being a miss is really killing them.

The good news is that there should be alot of d line talent in the draft this year.  If we get a top 5 pick who do you take between Bosa, Gary and Oliver?

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

definitely too early to judge.  but when you fire a guy after 9-7 saying that's not good enough, it puts a lot of pressure on you.

i dont really see them going 10-6 this year.  so what does he say when they go 6-10?  

and i thought it was a good move to fire caldwell.  they werent going anywhere with him.  my problem with quinn is only his lack of attention to the front seven.  well, that and jarad davis over reuben foster.  ;)

I don't mind that his rebuild put DLine near the end of the list as I think from a developmental standpoint that makes sense, but franchising Ansah was probably a bad move. It looks like we are going to get basically NADA from Ziggy and Quinn could have at least done some short term backfilling with the money.

52 minutes ago, Buddha said:

you mean like that perfect throw to the end zone where slay reached out his hand and ripped the ball from the receiver?

not only would slay have done it, he did it in front of you 20 minutes earlier in this very game!

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was saying Slay wouldn't have defending that more: "Slay won't have been the defender put on him."

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's really not mostly his players. Stafford, Tate, Quinn, Slay aren't his players so I guess the good ones aren't his players. Who was more qualified that was available than Quinn? What should Martha have done differently? 

I don't know, that's not my job,  What I do know is that the team is regressing in Quinn's 3rd season.  I'll ask the question again, what makes the Lions better now than they were when Quinn took over?  Where are the improvements?  Where's the progress? 

Not saying this is Martha's fault btw.  I just don't see what makes her regime any different than the WCF years.  I get that Patricia needs more than 4 games for proper evaluation and Quinn more than 2+ years but in the here and now, I'm seeing a team that still can't get out of its own way.

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't know, that's not my job,  What I do know is that the team is regressing in Quinn's 3rd season.  I'll ask the question again, what makes the Lions better now than they were when Quinn took over?  Where are the improvements?  Where's the progress? 

Looks like they have a run game now and some depth at WR. It's hard to justify firing someone after back to back 9 win seasons. This isn't Matt Millen who inherited a 9 win team that was a last second FG away from winning 10 games and going to the and then winning two and three games the next two seasons. Do we fire every GM if the team regresses in a season? 

35 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I liked Foster a lot. But, his personal issues and injury scared off teams

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Looks like they have a run game now and some depth at WR. It's hard to justify firing someone after back to back 9 win seasons. This isn't Matt Millen who inherited a 9 win team that was a last second FG away from winning 10 games and going to the and then winning two and three games the next two seasons. Do we fire every GM if the team regresses in a season? 

A running game that they don't utilize.  I love the Kerryon and think he'll be great but if you're only giving him 5-10 touches a game, what's the point?

I didn't say at any point that Quinn should be fired, I'm just saying that right now where we stand today, it looks like same old same old to me.  I'm not seeing any progression.  Of course that's subject to change but I can't predict the future, I can only discuss what I see right now which is a team in Quinn's 3rd season that's 1-3 after one playoff appearance in the previous 2 seasons and getting blown out in that one playoff game which is pretty much in line with every regime of the past 60 years.  Right now, I don't see a new and improved Lions organization.

2 hours ago, motown blues said:

Why do you keep supporting this team? One year everyone complains about how the offense sucks. Then the next year how the defense sucks. Then the OC sucks, then the DC sucks. And then the GM sucks. Then the coaching sucks. What sucks is the ownership. 60 years of futility is a good barometer to measure from.

It’s none of your business who I support. 

You are the one who doesn’t support the team but continues to post about them on message boards. 

15 minutes ago, NYLion said:

A running game that they don't utilize.  I love the Kerryon and think he'll be great but if you're only giving him 5-10 touches a game, what's the point?

Patricia should make JBC wear a Hello Kitty dunce cap on the sidelines every time he runs Blount on 1st down instead of Johnson. Or runs Blount on 2nd and long instead of Johnson

What I would like to know is this:

When Quinn told Rod Wood and Mrs. Ford that he wanted to fire Jim Caldwell, did he tell them that the team was just a coach away from being a playoff team, or did he tell them it was going to require a totally new defensive scheme and a new front seven?

I know what he told the press: “The roster is better than 9-7.” Translation: We are just a coach away  

Well then he brought in his crony. The two of them must have known that Patricia was going to bring in his system; and Quinn must have known that would require ripping apart the roster... that he had already said was better than 9-7. It seems a bit like he sold Mrs. Ford a bill of goods. 

Patricia may well turn out to be a good coach. But this season is all but lost at this point. After Quinn all but promised a playoff berth.

Instead, Quinn and Patricia’s team got lit up in prime time in week one against the rookie-est QB that ever rookied, on the way to a 1-3 start. But Mike Vrabel’s Titans got a win against the defending Super Bowl champions on the way to a 3-1 start. 

Rod Wood should not have let Quinn hire his crony. 

Stafford threw 5 interceptions, that's why they lost against the Jets.   The Lions need Stafford to be at his best for them to win, when he throws 5 picks they have absolutely no chance, even if they were playing the 08 Lions. 

28 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

It’s none of your business who I support. 

You are the one who doesn’t support the team but continues to post about them on message boards. 

Not  a personal question, rehtorical in nature. And iv'e already explained that i don't continue to post every game.