DumberAndLeaner

Now who'll be our slow dog?

With Victor Martinez no longer clogging up our base paths, which current Tiger will inherit the distinction of "slowest Tiger  runner"?  I know for some of you it is really important to lament how those who are not particularly fleet footed impact our offensive fortunes, so which player next will be your  new whipping boy?

Uhhhhh....Miguel?

also, kind of hard to care about speed on the base paths when this team has made everyone so apathetic as to whether or not a run crosses the plate.

3 hours ago, thefunk said:

Uhhhhh....Miguel?

Miguel doesn't run hard to 1st very often, but unless he really decides to back off to save the ankle, etc., we might not have a horrible base runner on the team next year. Hard to remember the last time that was true. You have to back through Victor, Avila, Prince, Magglio, Dmitri, Casey - gets you at least back to 2002.

40 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Miguel doesn't run hard to 1st very often, but unless he really decides to back off to save the ankle, etc., we might not have a horrible base runner on the team next year. Hard to remember the last time that was true. You have to back through Victor, Avila, Prince, Magglio, Dmitri, Casey - gets you at least back to 2002.

They might sign Thome.

12 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Liston isn't known for his speed.

Liston is too savvy to clog up the base paths.  Perhaps he has lost a step in the 40, but he can rely on his experience to make up for it. 

cruzer is certainly a suspect.  Clinging to Moya for way too long like he did has me worried a bit.

12 hours ago, thefunk said:

Uhhhhh....Miguel?

also, kind of hard to care about speed on the base paths when this team has made everyone so apathetic as to whether or not a run crosses the plate.

I have a feeling we'll never see Miguel play for the Tigers again.   

It'll be whatever band-aid aging first basemen they sign to be Miggy's replacement.  

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

Liston is too savvy to clog up the base paths.  Perhaps he has lost a step in the 40, but he can rely on his experience to make up for it. 

cruzer is certainly a suspect.  Clinging to Moya for way too long like he did has me worried a bit.

We know no middle infielder would dare get in Liston's way as he barrels into second base.  

Well, I personally always suspected that much of the criticism some fans had for Victor's speed, was more of a convenient channel for them to vent their more underlying ambition to give the DH slot to Cabrera . Any excuse to get Victor out of the way..

If this team truly valued speed, I doubt that Rajai and Maybin would have been among the first to go.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:38 PM, Keepleyland2 said:

Hey look, another victor thread

Thanks!  Hey I have another idea too. How about the managerial future of V-Mart? Do you think that   merits it's own thread, or should we cover it here?

On 9/25/2018 at 10:26 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

, but unless he really decides to back off to save the ankle, etc., we might not have a horrible base runner on the team next year.

I expect that as long as   Miguel hits, we  won't hear much from fans about his speed. But if he  becomes just an average hitter, or worse, I think some fans will not overlook any aspect of his game to criticize, including speed. It's like the elephant  sitting on the 800 lb gorilla in the room

On 9/26/2018 at 7:59 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

I have a feeling we'll never see Miguel play for the Tigers again.   

Please elaborate on that.  I've started to wonder if Miguel might be less than thrilled with the environment in Detroit, for a couple different reasons. I wonder if he could demand a trade, and then make payroll concessions personally to make it happen. At the core of this, would the MLBPA allow the player to exchange money for "other valuable  considerations" to make a desired outcome workable?

4 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Please elaborate on that.  I've started to wonder if Miguel might be less than thrilled with the environment in Detroit, for a couple different reasons. I wonder if he could demand a trade, and then make payroll concessions personally to make it happen. At the core of this, would the MLBPA allow the player to exchange money for "other valuable  considerations" to make a desired outcome workable?

Actually I don't think they would. I think Miguel, or any other player, would be hammered by other players if they gave back any money. 

4 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Wouldn't it be funny if Cabrera doesn't want to DH? What then....LOL

this is definitely a concern. In general Miguel has not hit well from the DH spot when they played him there and if that same small sample trend seemed to be holding if they play him there more, I imagine he would argue that he needs to play in the field to hit. If he then did hit, he'd have a pretty strong argument. If he didn't hit....well if he doesn't hit well again in the future there will be bad feelings all around no matter what.

19 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Actually I don't think they would. I think Miguel, or any other player, would be hammered by other players if they gave back any money. 

Not sure, but my curiosity comes qualified under the assumption that the move is something the player wants to do, not that the team is forcing it upon him.

Perhaps they would have to get creative, maybe with Cabrera doing an A-Rod type  retirement, but intentionally overlooking a planted loophole allowing Miguel to come out of retirement with zero recourse by the Tigers? Just a thought.

Cabrera is washed up.  I doubt if he gets 100 more hits in his career.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He will get 100 hits next season.  Book it.

He'll have 100 hits in spring training.

Wasn't it Douglas MacArthur who said: "Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind"?

Someone with sufficient motivation should be able to devise a ruse around the MLBPA,