jb84

Dallas Pre-Game Discussion

Any chance here in Dallas? If the D is as effective as they were last week. I think they can win this one. Would be nice to steal one in Dallas!

It'll all depend on if the Week 1 Lions or the Week 3 Lions show up.

I'd like to think the offense we saw on Sunday is what we can normally expect, but without seeing it happen more than one game, I'm not going to assume that it will be the norm.  I do think that Stafford will play better than Week 1 and even Week 2 because he has played better in the past.  I know some of you aren't high on him, but even if you don't love Stafford you have to admit that he usually plays better than what we saw against the Jets.

But what I dunno is if the OL will be as good as they were against the Pats.  And I don't know if the running game will be as good.  

As for the defense, what I'd like to see is for them to concentrate on stopping the run and leave the secondary more on their own.  I think Elliot is the bigger danger there vs. Prescott.

Yup, always have to focus on Elliott. Plus, it's early in season. Not sure how good Dallas is. Definitely looking forward to this one!

47 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Hold Zeke in check, and the Lions win.

Yes. And that is easy to imagine given that Travis Frederick is out, and Dak Prescott doesn’t have any receivers. The Lions looked like they knew where to be on defense, finally, on Monday, but Zeke would probably have to break off two long touchdown runs to put up enough points to keep it interesting  

Dallas is better on D than NE at this point, but the Lions OL against the Patriots looked as good as the Cowboys OL of the last 3-4 years. And Sean Lee will be out. 

I see a win. 

If the Lions beat Dallas, they will be 2-2. I'm guessing a lot of people would have been comfortable at having them at 2-2 through the first 4. I'm guessing no one would have them winning the latter 2 of those 4 games. 

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Yes. And that is easy to imagine given that Travis Frederick is out, and Dak Prescott doesn’t have any receivers. The Lions looked like they knew where to be on defense, finally, on Monday, but Zeke would probably have to break off two long touchdown runs to put up enough points to keep it interesting  

Dallas is better on D than NE at this point, but the Lions OL against the Patriots looked as good as the Cowboys OL of the last 3-4 years. And Sean Lee will be out. 

I see a win. 

The Lions are #1 in pass defense in the NFL right now.  Doing terrible against the run.

3 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

The Lions are #1 in pass defense in the NFL right now.  Doing terrible against the run.

Well, if you could rush for 160 yards a game against a team, there wouldn’t be much need to throw. 

That said, even though Brady has no receivers, he is still the GOAT and they held him to one of his worst games. (I saw that Bill Simmons called it the second worst loss of the Pats dynasty.) 

6 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Well, if you could rush for 160 yards a game against a team, there wouldn’t be much need to throw. 

That said, even though Brady has no receivers, he is still the GOAT and they held him to one of his worst games. (I saw that Bill Simmons called it the second worst loss of the Pats dynasty.) 

never forget that bill simmons is an idiot.  history is littered with simmons' ridiculously stupid takes.

the cowboys are bad.  i was in dallas on monday and all they can talk about is how dak sucks and elliott is lazy.  their line isnt what it was and they have no receivers.  no dez and no witten.

I sure hope all that is true on Sunday. But, the Lions have a way of turning bad teams. Jets and 49ers come to mind.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I feel like the Lions will win the Super Bowl with a win on Sunday.

"Easy Papa Grande easy." Rod Allen

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

never forget that bill simmons is an idiot.  history is littered with simmons' ridiculously stupid takes.

Yes, and that is why I was pleased to see him get all hysterical. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Heard him and his buddy house talking about the game, apparently house thought patriots performance was like a bad Adam Sandler movie, but Bill really thought it was more like a bad Rob Schneider movie, all too intellectual for me so I just shouted LIIIOOOONNNNS in their faces until they ran off crying 

18 hours ago, jb84 said:

Any chance here in Dallas? If the D is as effective as they were last week. I think they can win this one. Would be nice to steal one in Dallas!

This is not even really a joke, but whatever I think they WILL do...the opposite will most likely happen.

I thought they should have won the first game...easily...they lost badly.  After that first game I thought they would get blown out in San Fran and they actually made it a respectable game.  I would have bet money they would have lost to NE...maybe make it close or get blown out, but they basically blew NE out.

I think this is a game they lose....so they will most likely win.  Honest to god...if I HAD to bet money on this game right now...I would put it on the Lions...my rational mind would be screaming at me for doing it, but that is what the franchise has done to me.

43 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

This is not even really a joke, but whatever I think they WILL do...the opposite will most likely happen.

Its curious that so much sports conventional wisdom is based on things that are in general unsound or false logic. The drumbeat about the Patriots never losing two in a row was an  example. Teams aren't really capable of doing special things because they lost the week before. Logically - if there were things coaches could do to insure a win, they would do those things all the time so they didn't lose in the first place. The Pats almost never lose two in a row because over a long stretch they haven't lost many games period - not because Belichek serves them some special sauce after a loss. That 'fact' about the Pats has pretty much zero true predictive value to accurately handicapping the next game despite its constant reference as betting guide in the week leading up to the game. The guys that looked at this game more in isolation - at the personnel available on both sides and the match-ups (i.e. Karch for instance, who noted the Pat's were banged up and Lions had played better than 0-2 in the SF game-things that actually were factors) did not see a Lions win as a particularly long shot despite the 169-0 (or whatever it was) 'analyst' poll on the game that had come out last week.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Its curious that so much sports conventional wisdom is based on things that are in general unsound or false logic. The drumbeat about the Patriots never losing two in a row was an  example. Teams aren't really capable of doing special things because they lost the week before. Logically - if there were things coaches could do to insure a win, they would do those things all the time so they didn't lose in the first place. The Pats almost never lose two in a row because over a long stretch they haven't lost many games period - not because Belichek serves them some special sauce after a loss. That 'fact' about the Pats has pretty much zero true predictive value to accurately handicapping the next game despite its constant reference in the week leading up to the game. The guys that looked at this game more in isolation - at the personnel available on both sides and the match-ups (i.e. Karch for instance) did not see a Lions win as a particularly long shot despite the 169-0 (or whatever it was) 'analyst' poll on the game that had come out last week.

For me it is not sports conventional really, just the way games seem to come out for the Lions specifically.

Good teams beat bad teams, bad teams beat good teams all the time in sports...in football specifically as well.

Trying to determine the winner of any one specific game and claiming you have the 'code' or whatever is fool hardy...especially in a game so physical where one major injury changes everything.  Which is why I take a broad view of the game...and I am starting to simply lean towards the opposite of what I expect to happen before the game starts.  It does not happen every time of course, but over the course of the last few years I would hazard a complete guess that when I expect a win or loss the opposite happens <greater than half the time.

And to test my theory I will honestly put what I expect to happen in a game and if it comes close then it did not work.  ie if I say they will get blown out and they make it close then I was wrong.

This game I expect them to lose by more than one score.

37 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Its curious that so much sports conventional wisdom is based on things that are in general unsound or false logic. The drumbeat about the Patriots never losing two in a row was an  example. Teams aren't really capable of doing special things because they lost the week before. Logically - if there were things coaches could do to insure a win, they would do those things all the time so they didn't lose in the first place. The Pats almost never lose two in a row because over a long stretch they haven't lost many games period - not because Belichek serves them some special sauce after a loss. That 'fact' about the Pats has pretty much zero true predictive value to accurately handicapping the next game despite its constant reference as betting guide in the week leading up to the game. The guys that looked at this game more in isolation - at the personnel available on both sides and the match-ups (i.e. Karch for instance, who noted the Pat's were banged up and Lions had played better than 0-2 in the SF game-things that actually were factors) did not see a Lions win as a particularly long shot despite the 169-0 (or whatever it was) 'analyst' poll on the game that had come out last week.

Very good point, and I agree completely.  There may be some minuscule extra motivation from a team that lost last week not wanting to lose again, and maybe these give an extra .5% effort... but that's it.  You very correctly explain why they haven't regularly lost two in a row... It's because they have been a good team and good teams don't lose as much.  

This ties into another of my pet peeve that a commonly thrown around stat: The team that runs the most usually wins.  Sure, it's true, but not just because one team ran more.  A team that's ahead, especially later in the game, will usually opt to run more.  A team behind will pass more.  A team shouldn't go out there to establish a running game because if you don't run more, you'll probably lose.  In fact, I'd argue that any team who has a primary goal of having more running yards than the opposition will probably lose.

42 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Its curious that so much sports conventional wisdom is based on things that are in general unsound or false logic.

I believe that is because much of conventional wisdom consist of narratives that attempt to explain the things we most recently saw.