Sydney_Fife

2018 Pistons Training Camp/Preseason

45 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I've heard that a lot but it generates more questions than it answers. If his mechanics are bad, why don't they change them? If they want him to change them and he won't, why is still here or at least why do they still let him shoot? 

I'd guess as it is simple as it is really hard for any professional to fix his or her mechanics after thousands of hours practicing and playing.

i think stanley has a place in the nba as a physically strong defender who can guard multiple positions.  thats nothing to shake a stick at.

but he's never going to be a good shooter.  or a great athletic player.  he's a bull in a china shop who can play bully ball.  

play to his strengths and he can still be a plus nba role player.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think stanley has a place in the nba as a physically strong defender who can guard multiple positions.  thats nothing to shake a stick at.

but he's never going to be a good shooter.  or a great athletic player.  he's a bull in a china shop who can play bully ball.  

Agreed. I like the idea of him playing some small ball 4. He is strong enough to bang in the post with guys. 

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Agreed. I like the idea of him playing some small ball 4. He is strong enough to bang in the post with guys. 

I get the idea of playing Stanley at the 4 (and agree with it to some extent) in order to mitigate the issue of his shooting. The problem is you're asking him to punch above his weight - which he's capable of due to his strength - but he won't be playing bully ball at that spot, so you've taken away his greatest weapon.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd guess as it is simple as it is really hard for any professional to fix his or her mechanics after thousands of hours practicing and playing.

true, yet they seem content to let him keep shooting - or maybe (probably) that is just Casey wanting to see what he has and it will change.

Or I suppose another take would be that a new coach looking at this roster might say - 'we are toast no matter what we do if the young guys we want on the floor to defend don't become better shooters (i.e. Drummond and Stanley) so you just send them out there to work at it in the knowledge if it doesn't work, you weren't winning anything anyway. :dead:

39 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I get the idea of playing Stanley at the 4 (and agree with it to some extent) in order to mitigate the issue of his shooting. The problem is you're asking him to punch above his weight - which he's capable of due to his strength - but he won't be playing bully ball at that spot, so you've taken away his greatest weapon.

Depending on the matchup there are small ball 4s off the bench that Stanley can bully. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

true, yet they seem content to let him keep shooting - or maybe (probably) that is just Casey wanting to see what he has and it will change.

Why would him working on changing his mechanics and him shooting in a game be mutually exclusive?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Why would him working on changing his mechanics and him shooting in a game be mutually exclusive?

It wouldn't be, but no-one is reporting that Stanley is doing anything different mechanics wise. I'm no observer of shot mechanics but I assume one of our watchers here would have noticed if he were doing something new.

I don't know whether Stanley is or isn't working on his mechanics.

I merely answered the rhetorical question of why he hasn't appeared to improve in that regard.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't know whether Stanley is or isn't working on his mechanics.

I merely answered the rhetorical question of why he hasn't appeared to improve in that regard.

I guess I have to tend back to the idea that a new coach wants to see the limit of what everyone can do so they are basically all 'turned loose' for now.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Its preseason

yes, I was actually going to type 'since it's preseason' in the post, but apparently looking back it got left on the 'senior editing room floor'  🙄

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

Taller Tony Allen

I see the Spurs are coming down with injuries left and right.  Shades of 1997.   I'm sure they'll be giving Derozan a bunch of "rest".