Sydney_Fife

2018 Pistons Training Camp/Preseason

Sarcasm is necessary while following some of these teams lately.  Its right after sanity in the dictionary for sports fans.

Starters tonight were Jackson, Bullock, Johnson, Griffin, Drummond

Bench unit was Ish, Galloway, Kennard, Robinson, Leuer 

Zaza and Calderon extras just in case. Ellenson can ride the bench. 

Down 9 at half. Reggie with some extended run. First time we’ve seen Leuer in almost a year. 

Drummond with back to back turnovers trying to ball handle and each results in a Wizards triple. 

I feel like I am going to have to become a Drummond apologist this year because I really think that Griffin trade screwed him.  I thought he looked lost after the trade after showing some improvements coming off a bad season.  And this is not an indictment against just him as Griffin did not exactly light the world on fire either. Both guys shooting percentage dropped, Griffin's significantly.  It's sad really.  I want to get excited about this season but it is really hard watching those two struggle so much to find chemistry.  

Literally every single time the Pistons have taken the lead the past two games, they’ve immediately given it up. It’s literally happened every time. I’d say it’s been 9-10 times now where they’ve battled all the way back and they immediately fall right back behind. 

Carbon copy of Monday night. Pistons couldn’t make shots early, rallied, but came up short. 10 times in the last 2 preseason games they’ve taken a lead or tied the game, only to immediately give it right back. 10. Times. 

Stanley Johnson was 1-13 tonight. Can we please just have him not shoot?

Pistons 1-3 in the preseason. One more on Friday night. Then 4 days off before the real stuff starts. 

Will be interesting to see how Jackson and Leuer are handled coming off their injuries. I would play Reggie 28 minutes a night and Leuer 16. 

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

pre season means nothing...

Especially with how much Casey has experimented with lineups. I am not sure how much weight you can put into the team blowing leads when you are seeing permutations of lineups you may not even see in the regular season. 

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

that being said...

stanley still cant shoot.

All the more reason to bring him off the bench. Let him be a defensive pest and occasionally play bully ball. Forcing him to be a spot up shooter is a mistake. 

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

Absolutely nothing.  My favorite hockey team, the Edmonton Oilers, went 7-1 in preseason then proceeded to get dominated in every aspect of the game on opening night.  I believe the Lions went 4-0 in preseason the year they went winless.  Preseason is a glorified scrimmage designed to shake off rust and for bubble players looking to make the final roster.

With that said, thanks to Sydney for the rundowns.

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Bull****.  It gives us a chance to get into complaint mode for the regular season.

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

that being said...

stanley still cant shoot.

Stanley seems like a head case shooter. He *can* shoot apparently, just not with any consistency from game to game - which is probably why his coaches keep telling to shot, hoping somehow it clicks. Doesn't seem to be working.....

stanley's mechanics suck on his shot.

which is probably why they want him to practice it rather than play in the drew league every year...

Watching good defensive basketball is a treat...which is why it is a hard watch these days for me.  

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

stanley's mechanics suck on his shot.

I've heard that a lot but it generates more questions than it answers. If his mechanics are bad, why don't they change them? If they want him to change them and he won't, why is still here or at least why do they still let him shoot? 

They need to turn Stanley into a Tony Allen type player as a shutdown defender off the bench.  For some reason, they keep trying mold him into a scorer which has never been his game even in college.

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They need to turn Stanley into a Tony Allen type player as a shutdown defender off the bench.  For some reason, they keep trying mold him into a scorer which has never been his game even in college.

This may very well be the move Casey makes. We don't know where he is at with Stanley. I am open to lineups right now, but would like to see the starting lineup be: 

• Jackson / Bullock / GR3 / Blake / Andre

Let Blake initiate the plays, let Bullock & GR3 move without the ball and find open looks to shoot, let Andre run the P&R with Blake and let Reggie be a spot up shooter who occasionally penetrates. 

Off the bench, have Kennard handle the rock. Play Stanley at the 4 for stretches of time, and play Galloway at the 2 for scoring.