Sydney_Fife

2018 Pistons Training Camp/Preseason

I believe Media Day is tomorrow and camp opens this week. Figured we could keep everything in one thread until the season starts.

sell the future for one year of butler?  imagine the iso ball possibilities of reggie jackson blake griffin and jimmy butler on the same team.  

stanley, luke, and various #1 picks?  

no thanks.  

Does it allow us to move either Drummond, Griffin, or Jackson's contract? If so, I'd consider it.

It's never gonna happen but I'd be fine with it if it does, the way I see it is that we're going to be in purgatory for the foreseeable future anyway so might as well put together atleast one season where could potentially win a playoff series or two.  

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Does it allow us to move either Drummond, Griffin, or Jackson's contract? If so, I'd consider it.

Yeah, I assumed one of those would have to go.  But who would it be?  Jackson would be driven into the ground.  Griffin's contract might be the least attractive of the three.  Drummond probably doesn't fit on that team.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Yeah, I assumed one of those would have to go.  But who would it be?  Jackson would be driven into the ground.  Griffin's contract might be the least attractive of the three.  Drummond probably doesn't fit on that team.

Definitely wouldn't be Drummond in a 2 team deal because of KAT. Griffin would be a tough fit as well. You'd need to bring in a 3rd team to make that work. Jackson could work in a 2 team deal, but we'd also have to toss in picks, Kennard, and who knows what else to make it more appealing.

Drummond said he has been given the green light to shoot 3s.  I'm pretty sure FT% correlates very highly with 3PT% so I'm not expecting much but maybe he can knock down a few wide open ones and help spread the floor a little bit.

no harm in letting him try - all he can do is miss and they eventually change their mind - or he won't miss and we can start calling Andre the 9th wonder of the world.

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Definitely wouldn't be Drummond in a 2 team deal because of KAT. Griffin would be a tough fit as well. You'd need to bring in a 3rd team to make that work. Jackson could work in a 2 team deal, but we'd also have to toss in picks, Kennard, and who knows what else to make it more appealing.

Well, ok, get KAT, get a 3rd team (and a 4th and 5th if needed), offer up Griffin and Jackson as well, shake things up a bit.  Toss in Hooper and Blaha for all I care.

you wouldnt have to trade drummond, griffin, or jackson to fit him in THIS season.  but you would if you wanted to sign butler to the extension he will demand.

which is why it wont work.  unless you want all in on a one year rental.

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

you wouldnt have to trade drummond, griffin, or jackson to fit him in THIS season.  but you would if you wanted to sign butler to the extension he will demand.

which is why it wont work.  unless you want all in on a one year rental.

I think the idea is that Minnesota gets a good player(s) on contract and we get cap relief + chance to re-sign Butler. If you don't move Dre, Griffin, or Jackson there's no point.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

no harm in letting him try - all he can do is miss and they eventually change their mind - or he won't miss and we can start calling Andre the 9th wonder of the world.

No harm in trying...after all, we haven't traded away our lottery pick this year.

16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Drummond said he has been given the green light to shoot 3s.  I'm pretty sure FT% correlates very highly with 3PT% so I'm not expecting much but maybe he can knock down a few wide open ones and help spread the floor a little bit.

I think the "green light" phrase can be misleading. Andre isn't going to be averaging 3-4 attempts a game. I don't think he will even average 2/game. I think he idea is to see if he can shoot a wide open look once a game. 

An inefficient player from point blank range and a barely passable free throw shooter is going to try to spread the court from the 3...pretty sure defenses are salivating at the prospect. I can just hear the gameplan now:

Opposing Assistant: "OK Coach, how do you want to defend their primary play? Reggie is going to get a Blake screen at the elbow. Bullock will be spotting up in the strong side corner, Kennard at the top, and Drummond in the weak side corner to spread the-

Opposing Coach: "Wait! What? Drummond in the weak side corner and he'll shoot the three if we bait him by bringing his man over to help cover the screen?"

Opposing Assistant: "Yep, that's what the scouting report says. If he's wide open, he's been given the green light to shoot it from there."

Opposing Coach: "Well, that's the coverage. Seriously, does anyone cover this team any other way? Just do that every time...I swear, sometimes this job is just too easy."

Why would the Pistons even bother being in on Butler? 

1)They don't have the cap space to accommodate his salary unless they move out one of the big contracts.

2) Nobody is going to take on one of the big contracts outside of Drummond and why would they deal Drummond just to bring Butler in?

3) There's no way he re-signs in Detroit so this is a pure rental.

4) In the one in a million chance that he does want to re-sign, do you really want to give a super-max contract to a 30-35 year old player?

Is SVG back in charge?  This seems like an SVG type move, not that it has a chance of happening.

while i am very skeptical of andre drummond shooting threes, i am open to actually seeing him attempt them in games before i completely write it off.

let's see if he can do it.

4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I think the idea is that Minnesota gets a good player(s) on contract and we get cap relief + chance to re-sign Butler. If you don't move Dre, Griffin, or Jackson there's no point.

Yes, I think that is the idea as well.

And even if Butler bolts, there is the cap relief and much clearer direction for the franchise to go into.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

while i am very skeptical of andre drummond shooting threes, i am open to actually seeing him attempt them in games before i completely write it off.

let's see if he can do it.

I don't have a problem with trying it out.  I am also skeptical, but, whatever.  They need to try to do something to open up the inside.  Whether it is Griffin or Drummond moving out to the arc, they need to do something.

7 hours ago, Betrayer said:

An inefficient player from point blank range and a barely passable free throw shooter is going to try to spread the court from the 3...pretty sure defenses are salivating at the prospect. I can just hear the gameplan now:

Opposing Assistant: "OK Coach, how do you want to defend their primary play? Reggie is going to get a Blake screen at the elbow. Bullock will be spotting up in the strong side corner, Kennard at the top, and Drummond in the weak side corner to spread the-

Opposing Coach: "Wait! What? Drummond in the weak side corner and he'll shoot the three if we bait him by bringing his man over to help cover the screen?"

Opposing Assistant: "Yep, that's what the scouting report says. If he's wide open, he's been given the green light to shoot it from there."

Opposing Coach: "Well, that's the coverage. Seriously, does anyone cover this team any other way? Just do that every time...I swear, sometimes this job is just too easy."

Alternatively:

Pistons Fans: Drummond sucks! He can't shoot free throws and that alone makes him unplayable at the end of games! He will never shoot more than 40%!

Drummond: Shoots 60% from the line.

Pistons Fans: Okay, but he still sucks. The league isn't what it used to be. He can't shoot and spread the floor. Still unplayable. 

Drummond: Okay, I'll work on that by shooting a 1,000 shots a day over the summer so I can take 1 or 2 a game to see if I can improve.

Pistons Fans: OMG why is he even trying??? He can't shoot! Just stay in the post (even though you suck because you can't leave the post). 

Minnesota has no leverage. They're in a terrible spot. They aren't going to get that much for Jimmy. Pistons could have a big 3 of Butler, Griffin, and Drummond for a year. Johnson has been a bust and Jackson cannot stay healthy.