Jump to content

UCFKNIGHT92

Mike Emrick

Recommended Posts

The Tigers should hire Mike Emrick away from NBC to broadcast Tigers TV games. Mike Emrick has a Ph.D. so making the transition from hockey broadcast to baseball broadcast shouldn’t be difficult for him. Gary Thorne, who one called New Jersey Devils games, now does a great job calling Baltimore Orioles games. I’m sure Mike Emrick has met the Illitch family at some point and time during his career. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2018 at 8:13 PM, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

The Tigers should hire Mike Emrick away from NBC to broadcast Tigers TV games. Mike Emrick has a Ph.D. so making the transition from hockey broadcast to baseball broadcast shouldn’t be difficult for him. Gary Thorne, who one called New Jersey Devils games, now does a great job calling Baltimore Orioles games. I’m sure Mike Emrick has met the Illitch family at some point and time during his career. 

Hi Mike! Good to have you aboard!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would he abandon his current gig?  He's so great at hockey.  Doc & Gary Thorne are the greatest.     Have they said Mario & Rod have been fired?   I have a feeling both will be back and will work together again.  Boys is Boys sometimes.  Usually when a couple of guys boil over and get physical, it ends up finalizing the building issue.   

I have seen this up close.   Night guy gave out Overnight guy's personal cellphone number on the air at WDRQ and Overnight guy bodyslammed Night guy to the ground - HARD.   They both got a week off and were totally fine with each other after that, they got along great.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why would he abandon his current gig?  He's so great at hockey.  Doc & Gary Thorne are the greatest.     Have they said Mario & Rod have been fired?   I have a feeling both will be back and will work together again.  Boys is Boys sometimes.  Usually when a couple of guys boil over and get physical, it ends up finalizing the building issue.   

I have seen this up close.   Night guy gave out Overnight guy's personal cellphone number on the air at WDRQ and Overnight guy bodyslammed Night guy to the ground - HARD.   They both got a week off and were totally fine with each other after that, they got along great.   

IDK, isn't that the kind of thing that more often happens relatively earlier in a relationship than 17 yrs in?

Just another speculation, but I sort of wonder if with both of their contracts up for renewal, one or both them were conniving to get rid of the other and that may have been what raised the tension in the relationship enough to spark the confrontation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah.... I think Rod is just a hot head and went after Mario.  He finally snapped.  

I'd say it's 90% Rod is gone.... and 50/50 on Mario.  

The Tigers gig would be a step down for Doc.  He's the voice of the NHL in the US now for NBC.  It'd be like Dick Vitale leaving ESPN in 1993 to do games for Kansas St.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Mike Emrick could maybe suit basketball, but would be terrible for baseball. Ken Daniels on the other hand ...

I would think shifting gears from Hockey to Baseball would be a big leap. The delivery requirements are so different. I've always thought the perfect Hockey PBP was continuous sing/song - sort of like an auctioneer - most good hockey guys work like that. Bruce Martin of course was great at it - Bruce just keep reciting every second the puck was moving and it  matched the nature of a Hockey game exactly. He would match the tension in his voice to the speed of the play. Baseball is almost the opposite. It's mostly pausing. You want to set the scene and then wait for the pitch, just like the fan in the stands does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I think a professional knows that and can adjust.  Ken Kal has done some Tiger games on the radio.

Plus I think hockey's the hardest to do... so if a guy can do that he can do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I heard Ken on the radio doing a game with Jim about a week ago, and while he wasn't top shelf, he wasn't terrible either.

Give him a month's worth of games and he'd be solidly good.

Alternately, Ken was better than Jim was the first half of Jim's career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oblong said:

But I think a professional knows that and can adjust.  Ken Kal has done some Tiger games on the radio.

Plus I think hockey's the hardest to do... so if a guy can do that he can do anything.

Don’t forget the PhD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,482
    • Total Posts
      2,882,711
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...