Motor City Sonics

Game 3. New England Patriots vs. Detroit Lions. The Mentor vs. The Protègè

First co-worker I ran into this morning claims that this Lions team has him thinking Super Bowl.  I shouldn't be, but I'm stunned.  How are people this stupid? How are Lions fans this stupid? 

If the Lions win 10 games this year I'll be surprised, but not shocked.  If they lose the rest of their games and finish with a 1 win season, I'll be surprised, but not shocked.  This is what happens when you build an inconsistent product. 

One game does not change things as much as people seem to wish that it would. 

Da' Shawn Hand looks like a fantastic  value pick

You're wrong, that late hit penalty last week fired up the Lions and changed the entire course of the franchise.  14 quick points against the Niners and a dominant win last night. Stafford's wife was right.

Here's some serious posting: Golladay and Johnson are really good and Davis looked like not a huge bust for a week. Also impressed with ragnow mauling a crappy dline. #positivity 

It was always going to be a work in progress on the defensive side due to the massive scheme and personnel change. It was hard to imagine the defense would look so abysmal to start the season, but they looked solid against a one-dimensional offense last night. Even without what’s-his-name who gets paid $17 million at DE. 

Getting defensive stops on 3rd down let them ride the running game more than this franchise ever has. It was a thing of beauty to see Lions RBs find gaping holes and get five yards upfield before getting touched. 

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

At some point the run is coming to an end.  Is really good Tom Brady close to great Tom Brady?   Is there too much disharmony in Foxboro for it to continue. 

Belichick will walk away when he thinks the run is over - hand the team to Josh McDaniel, and when McDaniel doesn't have Tom Brady the folks in Boston will hate him.    What we've been waiting for is a team, ANY team in the AFC East to be good enough to compete and that hasn't happened yet. 

This is what I think will happen, which will be sort sad... I've kinda wondered if Belichick would look this good without Brady, or if Brady would look this good without Belichick, but I doubt we ever find out.  I suspect they will both hang it up at about the same time.

13 hours ago, NYLion said:

A 1,000 yard back that is a big threat to catch passes as well.  I loved the pick when it happened and love it even more now.

FTR, I didn't like the pick.  I mean, I thought KJ looked like a good player, but I wasn't a fan of trading up to get him.  He's starting to prove me wrong, which I'm perfectly fine with!

Nobody would look as good without Brady.

In general, players make coaches, not the other way around. 

If a coach 'makes' a player or players, what it very likely means is the previous coach mis-used the player(s) in question.  Especially in this day and age of highly, highly developed players entering the league.

In the specific case of Brady, Belichick realized what he had and built around him.  But it was Brady that created that opportunity. 

The Lions are alive? Still breathing?

Whew! After the 1st two games I was thinking "could care less" about the W-L record this year.

Now, maybe keep an eye on Patricia and see if he can get this team into the playoffs... maybe. They're alive so, we'll see what happens...

In my mind, I keep seeing Dr. Frankenstein yell: "IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!".

"THEY'RE ALIVE!!!"

41 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

This is what I think will happen, which will be sort sad... I've kinda wondered if Belichick would look this good without Brady, or if Brady would look this good without Belichick, but I doubt we ever find out.  I suspect they will both hang it up at about the same time.

I think Brady makes Belichick look a lot better than he is.  He's a really good coach.  Not sure he's as elite as everyone thinks..  We'll never know.  He's smart enough to walk away

And regarding Gronk retiring if he's traded.  He is not living off any of his football money.   That's all going into the bank.  He doesn't need to play at all. 

What if I could trade Stafford for Brady and gronk but also you had to take Josh McDaniels, not as a coach, just as your personal best friend and you could never stop being his friend 

2 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

The Lions are alive? Still breathing?

Whew! After the 1st two games I was thinking "could care less" about the W-L record this year.

Now, maybe keep an eye on Patricia and see if he can get this team into the playoffs... maybe. They're alive so, we'll see what happens...

In my mind, I keep seeing Dr. Frankenstein yell: "IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!".

"THEY'RE ALIVE!!!"

sopranos.jpg

Listening to Valenti right now and they are talking about the roughing the QB plague that is going on in the NFL,. Personally I haven't watched much NFL this year outside of the Lions so I don't know exactly how bad it is but going by what I heard it sounds like it's pretty severe and alot of penalties being called so with that said does this benefit the Lions more than just about any team?  I'm not looking to break down if the rule is stupid or not, I  think that argument deserves its own thread I'm just looking at how it can possibly benefit the Lions.

Think about it, arguably our two biggest flaws are pass rushing and protecting Stafford and I think these issues help mitigate both problems.    From the pass rush perspective, we obviously aren't going to get as many sacks as other teams but since we're getting less pressure we're likely not going to get as many penalties as other teams.  

From the protecting Stafford standpoint, if teams become more and more aware of these penalties they may become timid and dance around trying to get a penalty which means that our pass blocking may not need to be as good as it would other wise have to be.  Or maybe they just don't care about the rule and play like they would normally, well then that will probably lead to some extra roughing the passer penalties in our favor which could help offset any sacks we give up. 

After it's all said and done the benefit if any may be very minimal but when you're in the Lions position any little bit of help could go a long way from making the playoffs or not.

I would say it benefits us in that if Matt Cassell was the qb I wouldn't expect the lions to win another game. 

Anything that protects Stafford is a big win