Motor City Sonics

Thanks Victor

Hey, last game today for Victor Martinez.   Thanks for some great years.  Been rough the last couple but if someone offered me 4 years, I'd take it too.    Miggy is all that's left now of the regulars from the last World Series team.  

• Like 1

He actually wound up playing about as much for the Tigers as he did for Boston and Cleveland combined.

I cannot help but sigh and think of the road not taken. If Victor had taken 4/$64M from the Mariners in 2014 or if Ilitch and DD had not countered with 4/$68M, how much different would the last four years have gone?

The TIgers would have probably had to settle for Nelson Cruz, for less years and less money, and more production and more line up flexibility. Of course I don't blame Victor at all, and no one move got us to this point, and all moves are inter-related. But - except for letting Max go, trading Saurez, and trading Ray - hard to see any worse decision than signing a DH only guy to a 4 year deal through his age 39 season. Oh well, one cannot really say how it would have turned out.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Hey, last game today for Victor Martinez.   Thanks for some great years.  Been rough the last couple but if someone offered me 4 years, I'd take it too.    Miggy is all that's left now of the regulars from the last World Series team.  

Cabrera isn’t dead. 

33 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

He actually wound up playing about as much for the Tigers as he did for Boston and Cleveland combined.

Which hat will he wear when he is inducted?

22 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Which hat will he wear when he is inducted?

SLIM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Time for a Debbie Downer post but in Victor's 8 years as Tiger he made 118 million dollars while posting a total WAR of 3.8.  Not a good ROI. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Time for a Debbie Downer post but in Victor's 8 years as Tiger he made 118 million dollars while posting a total WAR of 3.8.  Not a good ROI. 

But he was part of the good times.   The olden times.   

39 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Where do you get total WAR of 3.8?

7 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Where do you get total WAR of 3.8?

Fangraphs, I just checked BR and his WAR is slightly more on there though, I think it was almost 6. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But he was part of the good times.   The olden times.   

Before the empire. 

• Like 1

So will Victor remain on the 40-man roster to the end-of-the-season ..or will he be removed from the 40-man roster tomorrow and a prospect take his place?

Just curious ..as it does not really matter either way.

4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

747F62E8-6A2A-4246-BB88-1DDA90467558.thumb.jpeg.299d61c71954af854ad3607660adb545.jpeg

I don't know if the F/X designer from TDTEST won an Oscar or not (did they even have a category for that kind of thing?), but he should have just for GORT, and for the way that saucer opened. The bare simplicity of the effect coupled to the impression of an extravagance of overwhelming power spent just to open a door was genius.

Victor was signed to protect Cabrera in the batting order.   I would say that he did that very well.  It's too bad in the prime of his time in Detroit, he could not play in 2012.  His injury was a devastating blow to the Tigers.  It led to the signing of Fielder, which led to the trade for Kinsler.  You just have to wonder what would've happened had Victor not gotten hurt. 

His 2014 season was truly amazing.  over 630 plate appearances and ONLY 42 strikeouts.  We will never see that again.

You don't pay someone 100MM to "protect" a hitter because that is a myth used by bad sports writers. He was paid to produce on offense. 

Geez—he was a good player who by most accounts played hard and was respected by his teammates, save for the JV incident last season.   It’s not his fault that he was not very productive during the last two years of his contract.  Blame the front office for that, not the player who accepted it.

He is easily a top-10 Tiger offensively over the last 40 seasons.  Even a Hall-of-Famer like Alan Trammell broke down at the end of his career, physically and offensively.  

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

He is easily a top-10 Tiger offensively over the last 40 seasons.  Even a Hall-of-Famer like Alan Trammell broke down at the end of his career, physically and offensively.  

V-Mart is 21st in wRC+ over the last 40 years for the Tigers. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=1979&ind=0&team=6&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d&page=1_30

That was illuminating—I forgot how many good offensive players we had in the 80’s and early 90’s.  I have a problem putting John Wockenfuss above him, though.

On 9/22/2018 at 11:29 AM, RatkoVarda said:

I cannot help but sigh and think of the road not taken. If Victor had taken 4/$64M from the Mariners in 2014 or if Ilitch and DD had not countered with 4/$68M, how much different would the last four years have gone?

The TIgers would have probably had to settle for Nelson Cruz, for less years and less money, and more production and more line up flexibility. Of course I don't blame Victor at all, and no one move got us to this point, and all moves are inter-related. But - except for letting Max go, trading Saurez, and trading Ray - hard to see any worse decision than signing a DH only guy to a 4 year deal through his age 39 season. Oh well, one cannot really say how it would have turned out.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 

I'm not sure we get that much more production from Cruz, at least in the years that matter. 

We certaintly wouldn't have gotten more lineup flexibility. 

On 9/22/2018 at 10:27 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Thanks for some great years.  Been rough the last couple but if someone offered me 4 years, I'd take it too.  

His coming to the Tigers in 2011 was a  big part of how this team started to win. I recall feeling very positive about our potential when first learning we had signed him.   His contributions in '11, '13, and '14  were definitely +++.

Overall, his currently expiring contract with us doesn't bother me near as  much as the last contract we gave  Brandon Inge.

Best wishes Victor!!