Motor City Sonics

Red Wings Preseason

jimmy carson is fun.  not joe murphy fun, but still a pleasure to be around.

as long as you dont mind a distinct lack of back checking.

Speaking of Oilers & Wings from that era, Steve Smith - he of the playoff bank shot blunder fame - was the best man at my cousin's wedding, a journeyman NHLer who had stints in the '80s with the Wings, Blues and Habs among others.

Here's the Roster

Forwards                  
Justin Abdelkader  (A)
Andreas Athanasiou
Tyler Bertuzzi
Christoffer Ehn
Martin Frk
Luke Glendening
Darren Helm
Dylan Larkin
Anthony Mantha 
Frans Nielsen 
Gustav Nyquist
Michael Rasmussen
Thomas Vanek

Defencemen           
Dennis Cholowski
Trevor Daley
Danny DeKeyser
Jonathan Ericsson 
Nick Jensen
Niklas Kronwall  (A)
Libor Sulak

Goalies                    
Johnathan Bernier
Jimmy Howard

Injured Reserve     
Mike Green

It would be nice if Sulak got playing time over Jensen. Sulak being the 7th D in the press box doesn't do much for me.

I really have little interest as to who is the captain. I only care if it's springtime and it looks like the Wings might win the Cup and I imagine the first person who will be hoisting it. But will note anyways that the Wings will go with four As, with Larkin (for home games) and Nielsen (for road games) joining Kronwall and Abdelkader as assistant captains.

19 hours ago, lordstanley said:

It would be nice if Sulak got playing time over Jensen. Sulak being the 7th D in the press box doesn't do much for me.

Actually it looks like Kronwall will be the 7th defenseman for now.   He's hurt.   Ziggy Ansah Disease.  

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Actually it looks like Kronwall will be the 7th defenseman for now.   He's hurt.   Ziggy Ansah Disease.  

In all fairness to Kronwall, he wasn’t nearly as injury prone in his prime as Ansah and Reggie Jackson are. 

1 minute ago, Euphdude said:

In all fairness to Kronwall, he wasn’t nearly as injury prone in his prime as Ansah and Reggie Jackson are. 

I kind of disagree with that, Holmes.   When you look at the stat sheet Ziggy hasn't missed that many games and the same goes for Kronner.  Sure, he plays in games, but he's always less than 100%.   Look,  I am not bagging him.  He sacrificed his body for the team for a long time and now he's paying for it - like Holmstrom did.    He's been pretty bad the last couple of years.   Hey, I don't slam a guy for taking money that was offered to him, but it's pretty obvious it's over.   

I just wanted to call someone Holmes.    I had a roommate who had a cat named Holmes.  Holmes would lunge at your privates while you watched TV so you had to watch with a pillow on your lap.   Other than that he was actually a pretty cool cat,  as cats go.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I just wanted to call someone Holmes.    I had a roommate who had a cat named Holmes.  Holmes would lunge at your privates while you watched TV so you had to watch with a pillow on your lap.   Other than that he was actually a pretty cool cat,  as cats go.  

Trinidad Silva used to call Daniel Travanti 'Holmes' in Hill Street Blues IIRC. That was pretty novel at the time I think.

i think their defense will be better with the young players than it would have been with the older players.

still wont be good, but defintely wont be that much worse.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Trinidad Silva used to call Daniel Travanti 'Holmes' in Hill Street Blues IIRC. That was pretty novel at the time I think.

They scared me too, Frankie...............