Motor City Sonics

Red Wings Preseason

Still, it looks like AA is breaking out?

I mean... let's see if that carries into the regular season but, he's looking pretty good so far in preseason.

31 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Still, it looks like AA is breaking out?

I mean... let's see if that carries into the regular season but, he's looking pretty good so far in preseason.

I've been pleasantly surprised by his center play on defense and on faceoffs.

I did not see last night, but if he is defensibly responsible, that goes a long ways towards alleviating my concerns about him as a player.

Zadina will be sent down to GR to start the season. And he will likely stay down there most of the season barring some kind of breakout. They can add a year of control if he plays fewer than 10 games

Fortunately, Zadina is a rare case of a 19-year old who doesn’t have to be reassigned to his junior club if he’s not with the NHL team. Although there were questions about this earlier in the summer, the NHL is confident that based on his contract status with his European team, Zadina will be eligible to be assigned to the AHL this season where he can continue his growth in a league that should offer an opportunity to make those adjustments.

Additionally, thanks to the way the CBA is worded on this assignment, unless Zadina plays more than 9 games with the Red Wings this season, his contract won’t count against the 50-contract limit for Detroit and will automatically slide by one year while he plays for the Griffins.

While this course of action prevents a lot of Red Wings fans from being able to see Zadina play against NHL competition, it positions the team effectively to extend an extra year of contractal control over a kid who still has a bit to learn which can be taught at the AHL level. Zadina should quickly become a leader playing heavy minutes for the Griffins rather than fighting for limited space and minutes on Jeff Blashill’s roster. This also affords extended looks for guys like Michael Rasmussen and Evgeny Svechnikov, who are older and a bit more-developed than Zadina.

Zadina

I really don't know how Dennis Cholowski doesn't make this team.    I know he's young but they haven't had a guy that can pass it out of the zone since Nick Lidstrom & Brian Rafalski retired.  They've really missed that.   If it means a veteran gets dealt or cut - then do it.     I know he lacks defensively at times, but that will get better with experience.

They still need a net clogger too.  I know it's unfair to bring up Tomas Holmstrom because he was one of the best the game has ever seen.  We really don't have anyone.  I know Johan Franzen could do it decently, but look what it cost him.   They REALLY need that.    Are any of the new/young guys capable of being decent at that.   The Great Distractor?   

Roster might be...................

Justin Abdelkader
Andreas Athanasiou
Tyler Bertuzzi
Luke Glendening
Darren Helm
Dylan Larkin
Anthony Mantha
Franz Nielsen
Gustav Nyquist
Michael Rasmussen
Evgeny Svechnikov
Thomas Vanek
Luke Witkowski

Dennis Cholowski
Trevor Daley
Danny DeKeyser
Joe Hicketts
Filip Hronek
Nick Jensen
Nicklas Kronwall

Jonathan Bernier
Jimmy Howard

Mike Green & Jonathan Ericsson are injured.  

I haven't listened or watched enough pre-season to realize before tonight that Sulak is pronounced "Shoe-lack", at least if Sportsnet announcers are correct.

Among other moves...witkowski on waivers; zadina to GR. Jokinen mercifully released from his professional tryout. Dodged another Ken Holland bullet there. 

20 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Roster might be...................

Justin Abdelkader
Andreas Athanasiou
Tyler Bertuzzi
Luke Glendening
Darren Helm
Dylan Larkin
Anthony Mantha
Franz Nielsen
Gustav Nyquist
Michael Rasmussen
Evgeny Svechnikov
Thomas Vanek
Luke Witkowski

Dennis Cholowski
Trevor Daley
Danny DeKeyser
Joe Hicketts
Filip Hronek
Nick Jensen
Nicklas Kronwall

Jonathan Bernier
Jimmy Howard

Mike Green & Jonathan Ericsson are injured.  

bottom 3 roster...worst 3 teams in the league are Det, Mtl, and Ottawa.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

bottom 3 roster...worst 3 teams in the league are Det, Mtl, and Ottawa.

That's why I say open it up.  Play a faster game.  Take more risks.  The defensive part of the game can be learned later.   Remember those 90s Wings team were free wheeling but when it came time to learn and play defense they adjusted.    Make it exciting.  

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's why I say open it up.  Play a faster game.  Take more risks.  The defensive part of the game can be learned later.   Remember those 90s Wings team were free wheeling but when it came time to learn and play defense they adjusted.    Make it exciting.  

The thing in the NHL is that giving up odd man rushes to talented offensive teams leads to pretty lopsided scores pretty fast. The question becomes how much of that you can stand.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The early 90s teams didn't advance in the playoffs and got Bryan Murray fired.  Then Scotty remade most of the roster and brought in guys who took their defensive responsibilities seriously.  As an example, I count only 5 skaters on the '93 team that were on the '97 team.

They were Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Konstantinov and Kozlov.

Yzerman learned to play D later in his career.  He is the bulk (if not the entirety) of your argument. 

Fedorov always was good to great defensively.  Same with Lidstrom and Konstantinov.  Kozlov was never thought of as a defensive player before or after.

The last thing I want to see are young player rewarded with playing time for not taking their defensive zone coverage seriously and cheating at center ice.  Or simply not learning how to break the ****ing puck out consistently because they are too busy trying to get up ice in advance of the play.  If I wanted to see young skilled players **** up the break-out unnecessarily, I'd watch the GD Maple Leafs.

thats a terrible thing to say about jimmy carson.

Fun fact:  Jimmy Carson came to my buddy's wedding.

Jimmy was with the Vipers at the time and my friend was one of the equipment managers.

21 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Injuries are piling up, I guess Svechnikov, Kronwall, and Daley are all hurt too...

Kronwall should have retired -- his body can't handle NHL hockey anymore.

This season is about the bad contracts getting another year knocked off and not ruining and young players...hopefully Yzerman will be in place before the draft.

26 minutes ago, kdog said:

This season is about the bad contracts getting another year knocked off and not ruining and young players...hopefully Yzerman will be in place before the draft.

Yep.  Give the kids a mix of NHL/AHL/OHL as appropriate. Age out the deadwood. Get 4 picks in the top 40 of the 2019 draft (already have 3 almost certainly), including one in the top 5.  Bring the Captain home. Do that and by next summer we can start focusing on wins and playoff pushes and the like.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Fun fact:  Jimmy Carson came to my buddy's wedding.

Jimmy was with the Vipers at the time and my friend was one of the equipment managers.

I fail to see any fun in your factoid.