Motor City Sonics

Red Wings Preseason

Preseason starts tonight.   For the first time in years I may watch some preseason hockey when it's available.   I am excited to see these young players because we all know that they'll be in Grand Rapids for the next 5 years once the season starts. 

I really hope they just abandon this defensive style of hockey and let the kids loose.   They can learn the defense later.   Let's make it fun !

I"m not a fan of Blashill but am content to wait for a new coach until next offseason.

And my concern this year is players being rushed rather than waiting too long on them. If Cholo and Zadina hit it out of the park in the pre-season then consider them for the opening day roster. But I'd be just fine with them starting outside of the NHL if necessary, as Rasmussen and Bertuzzi and possibly Hronek is plenty of new blood.

I believe Rasmussen is in tonight, Zadina plays tomorrow night if you all are planning out your viewing.  It looks like the Penguins aren't fielding any of their stars tonight.

Here's the rumored Wings' roster tonight, very interested to see how Veleno looks...honestly I'm starting to wonder if he could play in the NHL right now.

J. Howard
H. Sateri

J. Hicketts
N. Jensen
D. Cholowski
V. Saarijarvi
T. Hamilton
D. DeKeyser
M. Crawford

J. Abdelkader
C. Terry
C. Campbell
J. Jokinen
W. Megan
M. Rasmussen
L. Witkowski
A. Mantha
T. Bertuzzi
C. Ehn
D. Larkin
M. Ford
J. Veleno

Across the pond in Finland, last draft's seventh round pick Kivenmäki has been solid in the top Finnish Liiga.  He has one point in two games, but he has been playing decent minutes including on the power play, and he's apparently playing center on Ässät's second line which is super interesting, especially with his size.  He's probably going to be my favorite prospect to follow until he flops/makes it: seventh round pick, TINY, skilled and Finnish! 

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I"m not a fan of Blashill but am content to wait for a new coach until next offseason.

I really don't have much of an opinion.  I think he has gone through some growing pains, but they also simply didn't have the talent to be more competitive than they were.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What is mind bending to me is my 16 year old who is *rail* thin is heavier than he is.

Allegedly the 130ish pounds he was listed at when drafted was wrong and he's around 155 now... but I don't believe it haha.

Let us know how the game(s) are!

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

And my concern this year is players being rushed rather than waiting too long on them. If Cholo and Zadina hit it out of the park in the pre-season then consider them for the opening day roster. But I'd be just fine with them starting outside of the NHL if necessary, as Rasmussen and Bertuzzi and possibly Hronek is plenty of new blood.

One more year of Holland and Blashill, then Yzerman will come in and finish this rebuild with his own coach.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am planning on going tonight, may also go tomorrow.

The Canucks' arena is a 15-minute walk from my home and they have games tonight (Calgary) and tomorrow (LA Kings) with StubHub tickets not much more than the price of a beer. I would like to check out Elias Pettersson, who the Canucks picked #5 overall in 2017 and may turn out to be the best player from that draft. Leading points scorer - both regular season and playoffs - in Sweden's top league as a 19 year old.

If the LCA video crew don't put this vid on the Jumbotron everytime Rasmussen scores so we can chant Rah-Rah-Rasmussen it will be a missed opportunity. Don't tell me the 45 seconds mark onwards wouldn't have the joint jumping.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

how does hicketts not make the team?

I would imagine one of Cholowski or Hronek would have to take it from him...and I could see Cholo doing it at this point.

Was picking up an order of hot wings at the local (TX) wing place, and they had the Wings game on live, which was an unexpected treat. Got to see the entire OT while waiting for my order.

11 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

I would imagine one of Cholowski or Hronek would have to take it from him...and I could see Cholo doing it at this point.

Hicketts played better than Cholo last night and I could see Cholo not making the team out of camp if they feel there are things to work on his game further. A few things I saw that could be improved is one on one play along the boards, decisiveness with the puck in general, and tightening up some positioning elements.

Veleno had a solid game.  Nothing jaw dropping or super remarkable, but he won a bunch of draws, he had some nice possessions and passes in the offensive zone and made good decisions overall.  Looks like a smart player.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Hicketts played better than Cholo last night and I could see Cholo not making the team out of camp if they feel there are things to work on his game further. A few things I saw that could be improved is one on one play along the boards, decisiveness with the puck in general, and tightening up some positioning elements.

Valeno had a solid game.  Nothing jaw dropping or super remarkable, but he won a bunch of draws, he had some nice possessions and passes in the offensive zone and made good decisions overall.  Looks like a smart player.

i thought rasmussen played really well.

hicketts puts the puck on the net more than any other player who was playing yesterday.  just one man's uneducated opinion.

I'd say Hicketts was the best d-man yesterday.  He looked half a step faster than anyone else.

Cholo looked solid.

OTOH, I thought Jansen looked pretty good as well and he is regular season filler.  So take it for what it is worth.

DDK was DDK.  He looked worse than the 3 guys above.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

OTOH, I thought Jansen looked pretty good as well and he is regular season filler.  So take it for what it is worth.

I think he knows he's fighting for a job, and there's a real chance he's the press box guy for a young guy like Big Joe to come in and actually play.  Honestly if I were the Wings I would try to flip him somewhere since he's on such a cheap contract I can't imagine nobody would give up a late round pick for a 5th/6th d man making $800k.  You aren't unloading the other veteran dead weight so might as well try something?