Jump to content

Keepleyland2

9/18 @7:10 Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

Recommended Posts

Michael Fulmer will visit Dr. James Andrews tomorrow to get second opinion on right knee. Initial diagnosis is meniscus tear. If confirmed, he’ll undergo surgery on Thursday with Dr. Andrews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Michael Fulmer will visit Dr. James Andrews tomorrow to get second opinion on right knee. Initial diagnosis is meniscus tear. If confirmed, he’ll undergo surgery on Thursday with Dr. Andrews.

Fulmer is officially fragile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What I like about that representation of the data is that it is very clear Jones can not cover for Castellanos, let alone Castellanos and Stewart.

I swear I replied   ^^^   before I read this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

MLBPA >>>> NFLPA

As much as many others hated him every MLB player from about 1975 forward should thank god for Marvin Miller in their nightly prayers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He needs to be in the Hall of Fame.  He changed the game more than anyone.  

It would be hard to name anyone that impacted the game as he did over the last 50 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of Detroit and St. Louis, I would bet most baseball fans under 60 know nothing of Curt Flood except that he was the first free agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Oblong said:

Is that a counting stat or a rate stat?  Is it safe to assume with more playing time Jones would have more?

Nick's instincts are so bad.... I have a good view of the RF and he constantly steps back right on everything.  It's so bad that by the time I take my eye off the ball to see what the fielder is doing, he's still not got a good read on it.  Usually by the time I do that the player's already adjusted.

Magglio, to his credit, wouldn't move until he knew for sure where to go.  I can think of 3 times personally I've seen Nick burned by balls in front of him because he took too many steps back initially.  Maggs would have made sliding catches on those.

 

this is a great observation. I agree about Maggs - not a good outfield, but a careful one. In an odd way - lack of gracefulness maybe -  Castellanos reminds me mainly of Kirk Gibson but without the blinding speed Kirk had to partially cover his mistakes and misreads (at least early in his career). 

And I've noted it before, but I think for good outfielders that first step that separates good OFs from the rest is completely instinct. The ball leaves the bat and you able too start moving in the right direction on pure reaction. That's the part I don't think there is much hope to teach or practice, and while children are able to develop it when their brains are young, I think it's nearly impossible for an adult to. No-one who has to be conscious of 'watching' the ball before they know where it's going will ever be plus a OF.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

It would be hard to name anyone that impacted the game as he did over the last 50 years.

Fernando Vina.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this is a great observation. I agree about Maggs - not a good outfield, but a careful one. In an odd way - lack of gracefulness maybe -  Castellanos reminds me mainly of Kirk Gibson but without the blinding speed Kirk had to partially cover his mistakes and misreads (at least early in his career). 

And I've noted it before, but I think for good outfielders that first step that separates good OFs from the rest is completely instinct. The ball leaves the bat and you able too start moving in the right direction on pure reaction. That's the part I don't think there is much hope to teach or practice, and while children are able to develop it when their brains are young, I think it's nearly impossible for an adult to. Anyone who has to be conscious of 'watching' the ball before they know where it's going will ever be plus a OF.   

I agree with the first step thing and instinct thing. But I don’t think I agree with the young minds thing. There are plenty of guys that probably played infield exclusively coming up as younger players that end up moving to the outfield and don’t struggle reacting to the ball off the bat. I think some players just have it and some don’t. I don’t think the difference is how much outfield or shagging flies experience they had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a very boring game thus far.

I actually liked the interview with the analytics guy on the FSD broadcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kdog said:

Henning is falling is love with Mr. Norris

 

That can't happen - players improve after they leave, not while they're here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

This has been a very boring game thus far.

I actually liked the interview with the analytics guy on the FSD broadcast.

I was unimprsssed with it. The questions were largely either about Jay Sartori the person, about the shift in particular, or were rooted in fear of too many numbers. They had no idea how to ask him questions about how the function works, how information flows through the organization, how it affects on-field decisions, what are the next frontiers in analytics, etc. Sartori also offered up the same party line everyone in the Tiger org does when it comes to analytics: numbers aren’t everything, we have to balance it against other (read scouting) inputs, in an almost apologetic manner. True as that may be, when you’re talking on the record about analytics as the head of analytics, you need to stand up for it proudly and be ready to evangelize for it.  OTOH, he may also have been playing to his interviewer audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...