Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Game 2. Detroit Lions at San Francisco 49ers. The season's in the balance!

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Caldwell excelled in managing his staff and players.

He did not excel in game strategy.

Patricia is Caldwell without the ability to get players to buy into his method of management.  He's Marty Mornhinweg 2.0.

3 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Patricia is Caldwell without the ability to get players to buy into his method of management.  He's Marty Mornhinweg 2.0.

He hasn't had a colossal in-game coaching blunder (unless you believe his players specifically quit on him against the Jets) like Marty did taking the wind over the football in a sudden-death overtime . . . yet!

On 9/16/2018 at 10:18 PM, Jason_R said:

Last year they were 11th in opponent starting field position. The year before they were 7th. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2017

Try using data next time. 

that's not all on special teams.  Could be defensive stops, interceptions, .... The eye test shows the special teams has been weak for a while

17 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

I've already checked out of caring about wins and losses this year so I was just glad someone on the team showed any sort of passion, so that could be why I'm missing it...

I checked out on wins and losses about 25 years ago.  Have been a Lion fan for 50 years ..so 50% isn't all that bad.

Whenever I exclaim "SOL" ..it is typically in reference to the manner in which they often keep scores close ..in which they inevitably do just enough to lose.  Year after year ..decade after decade .. SOL.

11 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

that's not all on special teams.  Could be defensive stops, interceptions, .... The eye test shows the special teams has been weak for a while

The “eye test.” Again, try using data next time. 

Anyway, my point is that they are clearly worse on special teams so far this year than they have been the past few years. If you are arguing against that, I don’t trust your “eye test”. 

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

I checked out on wins and losses about 25 years ago.  Have been a Lion fan for 50 years ..so 50% isn't all that bad.

If that was a batting average you'd be a HOFer :D

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, Euphdude said:

Have you met my friend chicken little?

lions resign deshawn shead.  which should tell us something.

1) no one else picked him up after the lions cut him.  that should tell us what everyone else not named bob quinn think about his talent.

2) slay is probably out for sunday night.  hopefully not longer.

3) teez tabor is bad.  

4) the patriots might put up 500 passing yards.

Sounds like the Patriots are having some issues but I'm sure they will clean all that up by game time to stomp a mudhole in us.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:32 PM, Kamakzie said:

Sounds like the Patriots are having some issues but I'm sure they will clean all that up by game time to stomp a mudhole in us.

They're playing us all.   They are the animal that pretends to cower in the corner and then slices your face off.   

On 9/17/2018 at 11:07 AM, Shelton said:

The rule isn’t that bad. You maybe lose a couple more seconds, but you also get the benefit of getting everyone lined up and with plenty of time to regroup and call a play with everyone on the same page. 

The lions had a couple receptions in the middle of the field during the hurry up offense at the end right? How many seconds ran off then?

having the free timeout isn’t nothing. If that was meaningless you’d never see a team spike the ball. 

The fact that they were better off with an incompletion says more about the decision making on that play call that it does about the rule that eats time. The play itself was going to eat time. 

I don't want to rehash the entire conversation that happened at the time, but in general I agree and disagree with you re: the Rule.

I CAN see a purpose for the rule, BUT I also think the rule a written can (and did) penalize a team unfairly.

Let's say the team is at the 50 yard line, throws up a hail Mary and it ends just like the Lions actual play.  The receiver catches it, it gets initially called a TD, but then overruled.  It isn't reasonable to think that a team lined up at the 50 can get down there in 8 seconds, get lined up, and get a play off.  But let's say the team is at the 10 yard line.  Now it's entirely possible that the team can get to the line and get a play off.

Now I think this plays into your comment about decision making on the play call as well.  Given the distant, it's reasonable to think that a team can get set and get another play off in 8 seconds if the current play gets stopped short of the EZ.  It's not desirable of course, but it is possible.  Given that, to me it makes more sense to try for the TD with a pass to Tate right outside the EZ rather than throw away the pass.

The chance of Tate getting into the EZ on a reception is GREATER than the chance of him making a reception, getting tackled short of the EZ AND the Lions not being able to get lined up for another attempt.

4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't want to rehash the entire conversation that happened at the time, but in general I agree and disagree with you re: the Rule.

I CAN see a purpose for the rule, BUT I also think the rule a written can (and did) penalize a team unfairly.

Let's say the team is at the 50 yard line, throws up a hail Mary and it ends just like the Lions actual play.  The receiver catches it, it gets initially called a TD, but then overruled.  It isn't reasonable to think that a team lined up at the 50 can get down there in 8 seconds, get lined up, and get a play off.  But let's say the team is at the 10 yard line.  Now it's entirely possible that the team can get to the line and get a play off.

Now I think this plays into your comment about decision making on the play call as well.  Given the distant, it's reasonable to think that a team can get set and get another play off in 8 seconds if the current play gets stopped short of the EZ.  It's not desirable of course, but it is possible.  Given that, to me it makes more sense to try for the TD with a pass to Tate right outside the EZ rather than throw away the pass.

The chance of Tate getting into the EZ on a reception is GREATER than the chance of him making a reception, getting tackled short of the EZ AND the Lions not being able to get lined up for another attempt.

Are you taking about the Atlanta game again? I thought we were all taking about the SF game and the play at midfield during the 1 minute drill at the end. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Are you taking about the Atlanta game again? I thought we were all taking about the SF game and the play at midfield during the 1 minute drill at the end. 

I was talking about the Atlanta game decision making.  If you were talking about the SanFran game re: decision making, I with draw my comments about that.