Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Game 2. Detroit Lions at San Francisco 49ers. The season's in the balance!

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I was talking about the Atlanta game decision making.  If you were talking about the SanFran game re: decision making, I with draw my comments about that.

Ok. Yeah, I don’t have a big problem with the play call in the Atlanta game. It was right at the goal line and no one was really thinking about the possibility of a run off. They likely would have been able to get another play off. 

That said, with the result of that play and that rule fresh in people’s minds, I wouldn’t be surprised if they would call it differently. With fewer than 10 seconds remaining, you really can’t risk a play result that could become a running clock after official review. 

As for the rule itself, you have to have something in place. Maybe 6 seconds should be the baseline, with an extra second for every 10 yards between the previous line of scrimmage and the resulting line of scrimmage, with a maximum of 12 seconds. I think I just fixed it. I will await my check from Goodell. 

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

As for the rule itself, you have to have something in place. Maybe 6 seconds should be the baseline, with an extra second for every 10 yards between the previous line of scrimmage and the resulting line of scrimmage, with a maximum of 12 seconds. I think I just fixed it. I will await my check from Goodell. 

I don't mind that.  I generally tend to like things that are simpler which requires less thinking and calculating myself.  I'd advocate for 5 second run off if the end of the play is 15 yards or less from the original line of scrimmage.  10 seconds for anything greater than 15 yards.  But I'd certainly be much more in favor of your suggestion than the current rule.