Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Game 2. Detroit Lions at San Francisco 49ers. The season's in the balance!

Sunday,  September 15, 2018,  4:00pm

DETROIT LIONS (0-1)

Image result for DETROIT LIONS HELMET 340 X 340

VS. 

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers  (0-1)

Image result for 49ERS HELMET 340 X 340

From Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, CA

Image result for Levi's stadium

DETROIT INJURY REPORT (AS OF FRIDAY 9-14)

ANDREW DONNAL, T    -  OUT   (KNEE)
T.J. LANG, T  -  OUT   (BACK)
LaGARRETTE BLOUNT, RB -  PROBABLE  (SPIRIT)
EZEKIEL ANSAH, DE  -  QUESTIONABLE (a.k.a. NORMAL)  (EXISTENCE)

SAN FRANCISCO INJURY REPORT (AS OF FRIDAY 9-14)

JOSHUA GARNETT, G - OUT   (TOE)
MARQUISE GOODWIN, WR - OUT   (QUAD)
ERIK MAGNUSON, C - OUT  (HAMMY)
ADRIAN COLBERT, S - QUESTIONABLE  (HAMMY)
MICHAEL PERSON, G - QUESTIONABLE  (FOOT)
MALCOLM SMITH, LB - QUESTIONABLE  (HAMMY)

The Matt Patricia era started with a mighty thud on national TV as the Lions were embarrassed 48-17 by the rebuilding New York Jets and the youngest quarterback to start a game since the AFL/NFL merger in 1970.  The Lions started both halves of the game on high notes with a first half interception return for a touchdown (on the first play) and an opening drive touchdown from Matthew Stafford to Golden Tate in the second half.   But the Jets exploded for 31 points in the third quarter, with each unit contributing a score on an interception return, punt return, field goal and both a rushing (62 yds) and passing (21 yds) touchdown.   The Jets closed out the game kneeling inside the Lions 10 yard line and could have easily scored over 50 points.     Matthew Stafford played what could have been the worst game of his career with 4 interceptions and nearly a 5th in the back of the endzone.   The home crowd at Detroit's Ford Field quickly turned on their hometown heroes, lustily booing the team throughout the 3rd quarter. By the time the game ended, the only fans that could be heard were the Jets fans with their familiar "J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets" chant.   Rumors of unrest in the Lions locker room and a reluctance to adapt to hard-driving ways of Patricia,  also known as "The Patriot Way", made their way to national television, radio and print media in the following days.     The 49ers lost their opener on the road to the Minnesota Vikings 24-16, as highly-touted QB Jimmy "G.Q." Garoppolo threw 3 interceptions to one of the highest-rated defenses in the NFL.    Both teams are in desperate need of a win this Sunday, as teams that start the season 0-2 have less than a 10% chance to reach the playoffs.   

DO THE LIONS HAVE A PRAYER? 

Image result for Monte Clark

For the love of all that is good in this life, get your crap sorted out Lions

37 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Not encouraged.

i dont think ive ever seen you this down on the lions.

i have no idea what to expect from this game.  hopefully stafford gets his shiz together and that whoever is playing for lang can block.

o/u on snaps where ansah is on the field?  20?

I would like to see Kerryon Johnson get about eight carries behind the left side of the line. 

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i dont think ive ever seen you this down on the lions.

Week 1 ripped the optimism from me body and threw it in a volcano. 

I read Ragnow may play RG so I may want to see him run right. When Blount was signed, I was expecting him to be the short yardage back and not feature back. I was envisioning more of a combination like Reggie Bush and Joique Bell. 

If they look like they did on Monday night and get lambasted and have to come home to play New England on a national Sunday night game, this thing is going to fall apart quickly.   Bill Belichick may love Matt Patricia, but he will eviscerate him in front of the world because he is a sociopath.   And I will say it now - if they start 0-5 and look terrible doing so -  Patricia and Quinn have to go.    Yeah, I know that's quick, and I am getting ahead of myself badly here, but Matt took over a 9-7 team that was probably a stupid NFL 10-second runoff rule away from being a playoff team.   They didn't need rebuilding, they needed tweaking.    The Patriot Way works a **** of a lot better when you have Tom Brady.   

Oh, and as far as this rebuilding goes, despite his worst career game last week, Matthew Stafford is the best QB we've ever seen here in this era of football.   He's 30 and he's got another 3 or 4 peak years if he doesn't get torn to pieces.   If you sit here as Bob Quinn and say it was a rebuild all along, that's a fireable offense.       They were close to being really good the last couple of years.   The big problem was a coach who was brilliant and preparing his team for games and keeping them mentally in games but horrible at game management.  They needed help in the defensive front 7 and didn't seriously address it in the offseason because, well, I don't know why.......perhaps they think  the pure genius of Matt Patricia can overcome that pesky thing called talent.

But now, as we have seen throughout our history as Lions fans,  their Kryptonite -  The 2nd round of the NFL Draft -  continues. Teez Tabor played 2 plays,   A'Shawn Robinson sat out.  Ameer Abdula sat out,  Kyle Van Noy was useless here, good elsewhere and they barely used this year's human sacrifice Kerryon Johnson.   Keep going down the list of 2nd rounders: Ryan Broyles, Titus Young, Mikel Leshoure, Jordon Dizon and it's evident that Darius Slay and Louis Delmas were unicorns. 

Also heard rumblings that not only were they beaten down verbally and physically in the preseason, but they are now running play and entire schemes they really didn't use AT ALL in the preseason and it's confusing the **** out of these players and it was fairly obvious Monday night.  These guys didn't know what they were doing.   It's all such and indictment of the whole thing.   Plus, I am going to sound like Valenti here, but you can't have a guy who looks like that running the show.  Looks like a cross between The Dude and the guy on the box of a pack of Zig Zag papers.    It's cute when you are in the background, but you're the guy now, the field boss of a billion dollar company - Dress the part, at least a little bit.    

I'm getting myself angry now.   

Time to go cut the grass.  

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh, and as far as this rebuilding goes, despite his worst career game last week, Matthew Stafford is the best QB we've ever seen here in this era of football.   He's 30 and he's got another 3 or 4 peak years if he doesn't get torn to pieces.   If you sit here as Bob Quinn and say it was a rebuild all along, that's a fireable offense.       They were close to being really good the last couple of years.   The big problem was a coach who was brilliant and preparing his team for games and keeping them mentally in games but horrible at game management.  They needed help in the defensive front 7 and didn't seriously address it in the offseason because, well, I don't know why.......perhaps they think  the pure genius of Matt Patricia can overcome that pesky thing called talent.

But now, as we have seen throughout our history as Lions fans,  their Kryptonite -  The 2nd round of the NFL Draft -  continues. Teez Tabor played 2 plays,   A'Shawn Robinson sat out.  Ameer Abdula sat out,  Kyle Van Noy was useless here, good elsewhere and they barely used this year's human sacrifice Kerryon Johnson.   Keep going down the list of 2nd rounders: Ryan Broyles, Titus Young, Mikel Leshoure, Jordon Dizon and it's evident that Darius Slay and Louis Delmas were unicorns. 

Also heard rumblings that not only were they beaten down verbally and physically in the preseason, but they are now running play and entire schemes they really didn't use AT ALL in the preseason and it's confusing the **** out of these players and it was fairly obvious Monday night.  These guys didn't know what they were doing.   It's all such and indictment of the whole thing.   Plus, I am going to sound like Valenti here, but you can't have a guy who looks like that running the show.  Looks like a cross between The Dude and the guy on the box of a pack of Zig Zag papers.    It's cute when you are in the background, but you're the guy now, the field boss of a billion dollar company - Dress the part, at least a little bit.    

I'm getting myself angry now.   

Time to go cut the grass.  

I had to get myself a snack while reading this post. 🙂

But I agree with pretty much all of it. Except the part about cutting the grass. 

31 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I had to get myself a snack while reading this post. 🙂

But I agree with pretty much all of it. Except the part about cutting the grass. 

Wrong.  Optimum time to cut the grass........the dew has burned off in the sun for the most part and we haven't hit the apex of temperature yet.   It wasn't early enough to wake up any neighbors (well, reasonably).      It was the perfect time to cut it.  About 17 days growth.   Now it's cut.  The weeds got whacked too.  Spray some grass killer around the new A/C (I have A/C now!) and the back driveway has been swept of any stray clippings.   I need to get some work done upstairs, but now, I shall lunch.   

Speaking of the upstairs,  

I have a sheet of 8' by 4'  1/2" thick drywall that you can have.   Had a lot of work done in the house and it was left over.  Don't need it.  Don't want it.  It gets in the way and it's either going to one of you fine people or the dudes that drive in ny 'hood picking up other people's garbage.    

What's it gonna be -  you ?   or Otto the Garbage man?   

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I read Ragnow may play RG so I may want to see him run right. When Blount was signed, I was expecting him to be the short yardage back and not feature back. I was envisioning more of a combination like Reggie Bush and Joique Bell. 

i dont understand why johnson isnt the feature back, riddick the 3rd down back, and blount the short yardage guy.  it makes so much sense.  

Yeah, like a bunch of fans are smarter than a LITERAL rocket scientist. 

Small diatribe warning. 

I know rocket science is one of those things that has a high degree of association with genius, but it's a pretty big misnomer in my opinion.  Rocket science hasn't changed since the 60's, and a moderate understanding of solving differential equations and the effects of drag and a junior level physics or math student can get pretty dang good at rocket science.  One of Newton's main tenants is conservation of momentum; apply a free-box diagram and go to work.  The key to rocket science is understanding that the mass of the rocket changes as it expels fuel and is propelled through the atmosphere. 

Yes, it's impressive enough to learn the math and physics behind rocket science, but as far as physics and math goes, it's pretty straight forward application.   For petes sake, they launched two satellites in the 70's that have left the solar system. 

/enddiatribe 

Locker room bulletin board material:  The announcer on the CBS broadcast of Colts Redskins just now talking about Magnum PI remake said that Magnum is rocking a Lions hat (with the Old English D)  DISRESPEKT!!!!

1 minute ago, ROMAD1 said:

Locker room bulletin board material:  The announcer on the CBS broadcast of Colts Redskins just now talking about Magnum PI remake said that Magnum is rocking a Lions hat (with the Old English D)  DISRESPEKT!!!!

None of our Major 4 deserve it right now. 

1 minute ago, Tigrrfan said:

Not sure about Respekt ..but Respect is earned.

Of course kidding fellas.   

The basic sports illiteracy for a sports media person is kinda shocking though.