Thank you for a great career. 

Thanks for the Stanley Cup in 2008

Thanks for being a great two-way player

Thanks for being a Warrior

Good luck. 

Who's the next Captain?   Dylan Larkin?  

3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Larkin, Kronwall, or Abdelkader.

Those are the 3 I would say are candidates.   I think they give it to Larkin.  They have a thing for having long-term Captains.  Kronwall would only be Captain for a year.    Maybe you could throw Danny DeKeyser in that mix too.    

35 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe you could throw Danny DeKeyser in that mix too. 

Infinite nos on that one.

It's a shame he won't hit 1000 points, but he certainly gave his all to the franchise.  Hopefully he can lead a normal life with his back.

If there's a captain this year, my guess is it is Kronwall.  I'm guessing this is his last year so it would be a bit of a bridge.  But I wouldn't be shocked if they went with 3 A's this season, and ended up handing it to Larkin.  I really hope Abdelkader isn't made captain, nothing he shows me on the ice in his play or demeanor makes me think he's right for it.  Originally I thought they would go 3 A's for the rest of Z's contract, but with them saying he's done forever instead of just this year I can't see them doing it more than one season.

Z is the last of the Old Guard. I hope he can live a normal life from here on out.

My guess for next captain is either Larkin or Abdelkader. Going with just 3 A's for this season wouldn't shock me, either.

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Zadina

I'm not sure Matt Ford will give up the C in Grand Rapids next season. 😞

19 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I was promised Zadina. 

you'll get luke glendenning and like it!

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

It will be an even bigger kick in the nads when they carry Jussi Jokinen over from his tryout contract to be the new David Booth while Zadina tears up the AHL!

31 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Can I have him instead of abdelkader?

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Can I have him instead of abdelkader?

Wow you act like players who put up 35 points while being paid $4.25 million per year just grow on trees.  Luckily they have him and Helm around.

Not sure how this guy has pieced together the last 8 or 9 years. The rumors were that 2009 is when his back really started to bother him. It's remarkable that he was able to go as long as he did. I think without question he should be in the hall of fame, but without 1000 points, it's going to be tough. Of course, there are plenty of marginal guys in the hockey hall...more so than the baseball hall for sure. There are some forwards in the hall that played in modern times with fewer than 1000 points. So I can't say he'll never get in, but unfortunately I think he has an uphill road. 

Just curious. What does this do to the Salary Cap for the team? Can we go sign a player for 20 million a year now that Zetterberg retired or does it not work that way?

There goes the last link to the Red Wings dynasty. He hung around, with a degenerating back, to try to lead the kids back to the promised land. He has more guts than we will ever know. Hats off. 

No “C” this year; after Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, nobody on the roster can even begin to measure up. Give Larkin the “A” until he or someone else earns the “C”. 

His 3rd period against the Blackhawks in Game 7 in 2013 was amazing and almost enough to get the Wings to the conference finals. Scored the tying goal early in the period and then dominated.  There was a sequence with a few minutes left in regulation where Zetterberg kept the puck for what seemed like 20 seconds and I thought sure it would end in a goal.

16 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious. What does this do to the Salary Cap for the team? Can we go sign a player for 20 million a year now that Zetterberg retired or does it not work that way?

Once the season starts they can put him on long term IR and his cap hit comes off the books for the rest of the season.  So they could theoretically use his $6.08 million cap hit (average of his total salary per year) to sign other players, but it gets tough especially with Franzen already needing to go on LTIR since the Wings can't be over the cap for the start of the first game, and I believe they can't LTIR either until the start of the first game.  So there is relief of his cap hit when he's on LTIR, but it isn't super straight forward.  The Wings have a ton of money coming off the books the next two seasons so they'll have some flexibility but hopefully they keep collecting talent and improving the roster before they spend in free agency.

They are going to name Jonathan Ericsson as Captain. 

7 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Once the season starts they can put him on long term IR and his cap hit comes off the books for the rest of the season.  So they could theoretically use his $6.08 million cap hit (average of his total salary per year) to sign other players, but it gets tough especially with Franzen already needing to go on LTIR since the Wings can't be over the cap for the start of the first game, and I believe they can't LTIR either until the start of the first game.  So there is relief of his cap hit when he's on LTIR, but it isn't super straight forward.  The Wings have a ton of money coming off the books the next two seasons so they'll have some flexibility but hopefully they keep collecting talent and improving the roster before they spend in free agency.

GM Steve Yzerman is going to LOOOVVE that.  

The Freep says we will be able to use about $4 million of his cap hit.  Which means nothing other than we're OK for this season.With Nyquist, Kronwall, Vanek and Howard coming off the books after this season, Hank's LITR becomes more meaningful....Karlsson becomes a possibility if San Jose doesn't extend him first...or you could go in another direction and load up for a run at Panarin.

There's some intriguing possibilities....

They had a tremendous draft (thanks to other teams crapping the bed) and they have some very exciting talent in the pipeline - add a good amount of cap space and what an attractive job that would be for any GM who wanted to live with their family in Detroit.   Now if only we could find someone like that. 

• Haha 1