Keepleyland2

9/14 @7:10 Detroit Tigers vs Cleveland Indians

Considering Verhagen's stuff seems to go from unhittable in Toledo to being a beach ball in the big leagues, I wonder if his girl looks like a 10 in Toledo but slowly gets worse the further she makes her way up 75N?

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Considering Verhagen's stuff seems to go from unhittable in Toledo to being a beach ball in the big leagues, I wonder if his girl looks like a 10 in Toledo but slowly gets worse the further she makes her way up 75N?

That's all in the past my friend, he's now figured out MLB hitters.

Post All-Star 2.39 2 0 0 0 19 0 0 26.1

29 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

That's all in the past my friend, he's now figured out MLB hitters.

Post All-Star 2.39 2 0 0 0 19 0 0 26.1

Indeed. He's a key component of the BP looking forward. No idea why Gard pulled him after three (3) pitches and 2 outs.

Didn't watch the game but it's nice to see Shane Greene pitch an inning and match the hits and runs total of the pitchers from the first 8 innings.

12 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Didn't watch the game but it's nice to see Shane Greene pitch an inning and match the hits and runs total of the pitchers from the first 8 innings.

Those are key metrics to hit if you want to be a closer for the Detroit Tigers.

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Greene is yet another Tigers pitcher who's stuff has just seemed to disappear out of nowhere within the past year or so.

The Shane Greene of 2017  may be the pitcher whose stuff disappeared out of nowhere ..as he was actually quite effective most of the entire season.

This year it appears the real Shane Greene has returned.

11 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

Shane Greene needs all three runs of the three run lead.  Tigers win.  Perhaps certain elements of Toledo will be out tonight in Cleveland in search of the Deuce.

He got the save!

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm surprised we didn't trade Greene at the deadline. Team control and no good enough offers?

Not sure .. Maybe no offers?  

Shane Greene is a career 4.86 ERA / 4.08 FIP / 1.387 WHIP / 88 ERA+ type of pitcher.

This year Shane Greene is 5.01 ERA / 4.30 FIP / 1.365 WHIP / 86 ERA+.

Not sure how many teams would be willing to trade for that level of excellence.

52 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Not sure .. Maybe no offers?  

Shane Greene is a career 4.86 ERA / 4.08 FIP / 1.387 WHIP / 88 ERA+ type of pitcher.

This year Shane Greene is 5.01 ERA / 4.30 FIP / 1.365 WHIP / 86 ERA+.

Not sure how many teams would be willing to trade for that level of excellence.

He shows flashes but there seems to be no sense in paying him millions next year when we have many options at $550K to replace him.   If it were a choice of him or Iggy @$6M I'd easily take Iggy.

2 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Indeed. He's a key component of the BP looking forward. No idea why Gard pulled him after three (3) pitches and 2 outs.

In the post he said it was because the game situation had set-up to  where he wanted to use Turnbull in his debut - the bottom of the order. I imagine if Gomes or Kipnis had gotten on, he might not have pitched to Lindor with men on the bases.

45 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

He shows flashes but there seems to be no sense in paying him millions next year when we have many options at $550K to replace him.   If it were a choice of him or Iggy @$6M I'd easily take Iggy.

Just looking over his fangraphs page, he is throwing more cutters and sliders this season, fewer sinkers. He hasn't thrown many 4 seamers the last two seasons.  He's has a high number of IF hits against him - to the point his xFIP is actually a little better than last season. Watching him, it seems obvious he doesn't throw enough strikes, but he is actually throwing slightly more 1st pitch strikes and the same or better total strike % as last season. I guess the conclusion is that he he doesn't throw enough strikes after strike one. Maybe spends too much time trying to get guys to chase or throw perfect pitches to the corner and lets guys back into the AB? I also wonder in today's game with the high fastball being an effective pitch, if the fact that he is throws so few 4 seamers is the best strategy for any pitcher - esp one that can throw 95mph.

I'm sure at this point they are crying in their beer over the waiver claim his since his trade value can only have dropped since then.  I would be anyway!

46 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Yeah - I think Rodriguez and Goodrum have played themselves out of consideration as MLB SSs and you still can't bank on Alcantara being able to hit a lick at MLB level so I don't know who they think is playing short coming out of ST next season if they don't want to talk to Iglesias, but it sure sounds like they don't.

31 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - I think Rodriguez and Goodrum have played themselves out of consideration as MLB SSs and you still can't bank on Alcantara being able to hit a lick at MLB level so I don't know who they think is playing short coming out of ST next season if they don't want to talk to Iglesias, but it sure sounds like they don't.

And as Woodbury noted on MLive this morning they seemed to have completely moved on from Machado as evidenced by bringing Kozma up rather than him.

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

And as Woodbury noted on MLive this morning they seemed to have completely moved on from Machado as evidenced by bringing Kozma up rather than him.

I imagine what will happen is that they will take a pass at Iglesias but only if he hasn't signed by late winter/ST and they can get him at low cost. Otherwise they are going to subject us to seeing a lot of guys struggle there in 2019. Or else they think Paredes can stay at SS and will ready by mid-season or so next year. I suppose stranger things have happened - Peralta never looked the part of a SS physically either but did well enough with the glove to stay there for 15 yrs

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I imagine what will happen is that they will take a pass at Iglesias but only if he hasn't signed by late winter/ST and they can get him at low cost. Otherwise they are going to subject us to seeing a lot of guys struggle there in 2019. Or else they think Paredes can stay at SS and will ready by mid-season or so next year. I suppose stranger things have happened - Peralta never looked the part of a SS physically either but did well enough with the glove to stay there for 15 yrs

I see it possible that Castro might be ready next season?  Seems doubtful.

I’d entertain Goodrum/Rodriguez for SS next season as a bridge, assuming they don’t acquire a SS.  It’d be nice to retain Iglesias, but I suspect that isn’t in the cards.

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

I see it possible that Castro might be ready next season?  Seems doubtful.

I’d entertain Goodrum/Rodriguez for SS next season as a bridge, assuming they don’t acquire a SS.  It’d be nice to retain Iglesias, but I suspect that isn’t in the cards.

I'd go into ST with a veteran placeholder signed and hope one of the kids takes the bull by the horns.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I'd go into ST with a veteran placeholder signed and hope one of the kids takes the bull by the horns.

Kozma.

Aw, ****, let Duece handle the middle of the infield.  I’m sure he’s had some experience there even though he is left handed.

11 hours ago, Casimir said:

Kozma.

Aw, ****, let Duece handle the middle of the infield.  I’m sure he’s had some experience there even though he is left handed.

Well, I believe that Deuce is always thinking past second base.

• Haha 1