John_Brian_K

Steve Yzerman Leaving Tampa

We have Holland for two more years because of the extension they gave him this offseason (I honestly thought he only had one though, his extension felt so long ago) so hopefully he would step aside or Yzerman wants a little break if it came down to it.  But if living in Michigan is important to Yzerman, and he wants to be a GM when his Tampa contract expires, that kind of leaves the choices thin for him.  I hope there is mutual interest and I REALLY hope Holland isn't too stubborn to jump to a President role. 

To be honest Holland laid a nice little foundation with the last few drafts, Zadina is the only star star potential but I'm high on a lot of them after watching them play in this past tournament or their play last year in minor leagues.  If they went top defenseman or somehow lucked into Hughes (or another Zadina type guy) next draft they could at least be set up for some success.  Hopefully that can redeem Holland's legacy a bit and he can hand it over to Yzerman to finish with many cups to come.

(We have discussed this a tiny bit in the offseason thread too, but I agree this deserves its own thread.  That thread had devolved into me talking to myself about prospects so I didn't know the interest level.)

I presume there's nothing preventing Chris Ilitch from buying out Holland's contract to clear the way for Yzerman.

Yeah I don't see Holland's contract being an issue.

I find it encouraging that Yzerman said he came to this decision in July then took a couple of months to work out the details. It's not sudden, it's not a health thing, he didn't say he's retiring from management like Gretzky did, it's probably not even really a family thing. The door is wide open for him to come back to the Wings. This gives the Illitches and Holland an elegant "out". If the Illitches and Holland were dead-set on Holland remaining in his current role long-term, they would have signed more than a 2-year contract.

Remember Holland talked recently about the front office talent leaving over the last 10 years, etc.  Jimmy D, Scotty, Jim Nill, Steve.... 

I'm sure they were all adults about it.  

23 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I presume there's nothing preventing Chris Ilitch from buying out Holland's contract to clear the way for Yzerman.

Apathy?  Saving money?  If they want to operate as a winning team and Yzerman is interested then it is a no brainer.  But I'm not sure ol Chris has it in him.

I also meant to mention in my Holland hand off scenario post, he actually said out loud during a prospect tournament intermission interview that the Wings are rebuilding.  So I think that's a positive as far as direction of the team, and maybe if he feels that he set the rebuild in its direction he wouldn't mind Yzerman taking over.  Also, maybe Holland does indeed want to work closer to his home, like Yzerman, and he wants to GM the Seattle expansion team...the going home switcheroo.

The Red Wings could be in a fun position for Yzerman next season. 

Cap space is gradually being freed up.

The 2018 draft was top of the league.

I could see the Wings' picks for the 2019 draft being, say, #5 overall and #35 overall. Say the 2nd rounder from NYI via Vegas is around #40 overall. Net #25 overall from trading Nyquist at the deadline. 

The Wings haven't hit bottom on the ice yet; that will probably come this season before starting a bounceback in 2019-20.

But I feel the Wings already hit their bottom as far as bleakness of the franchise, say last January, and are already trending up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The Red Wings could be in a fun position for Yzerman next season. 

Cap space is gradually being freed up.

The 2018 draft was top of the league.

I could see the Wings' picks for the 2019 draft being, say, #5 overall and #35 overall. Say the 2nd rounder from NYI via Vegas is around #40 overall. Net #25 overall from trading Nyquist at the deadline. 

The Wings haven't hit bottom on the ice yet; that will probably come this season before starting a bounceback in 2019-20.

But I feel the Wings already hit their bottom as far as bleakness of the franchise, say last January, and are already trending up.

I think they are going to start showing some life this year - IF (and its a big if) they just bring the kids up and let them skate and shoot.   Defense be damned.  They can learn that later - this team and town needs exciting hockey.  If you are going to lose - lose 6-4 instead of   2-0.     I think Bernier will get as much time in net as Howard and I think he might even get to meet Nelson Mandela. 

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Still cracks me up, even though Bernier is now wearing  Wings uniform.

If the Wings don't do a Nelson Mandela night honoring his fake athletic achievements their promo department has failed.

Let us remember that Yzerman could have been the GM all along had Kenny not refused to retire or just move upstairs.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Let us remember that Yzerman could have been the GM all along had Kenny not refused to retire or just move upstairs.

Yeah - abuse of Mike Ilitch's loyalty there.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You dont think Holland had earned that right? He was a couple of years removed from an SCF appearance and Yzerman was unproven at the time. As GM could have  turned out to be the next Gretz or Sakic or Draper for all we knew.