Keepleyland2

9/11 @6:40 Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Gay is not the preferred nomenclature, but, yes.

Really?   I thought it still was, I've slipped further behind the times.

I just typed Gay into the Baseball Reference search and it listed Christin Stewart....

It turns out his name is Christin Gaylin Harris Stewart.  

16 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I hope he does.  I love the idea of having OF that can cover ground in Comerica Park.

But I don't see breaking camp with him unless it is clear he can hit.

Has this ever happened?  It's been two decades and I'm not sure it has.  And I don't mean just quick guys like Roger Cedeno.  I mean real live actual outfield type defenders that can cover some good amount of territory.

Just to add to the outfield coverage discussion, I click onto bbref, and this is one of the featured player photos at the top left:

eb240336_sabr_mil.jpg

This fella, at 6'2" and 210 (1970s and 1980s dimensions, not today dimensions), covered CF for 8,146 and 1/3 innings of his 9,523 inning defensive career.  I suppose 15 of those pounds was hair.

Now I can't remember why I clicked on bbref.  Seeing Gorman Thomas just confounded me.

44 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Has this ever happened?  It's been two decades and I'm not sure it has.  And I don't mean just quick guys like Roger Cedeno.  I mean real live actual outfield type defenders that can cover some good amount of territory.

Austin Jackson for two seasons before he hurt his hamstring. He was never the same fielder afterward, but even without diving he was a great CF for 300 games. JaCoby has a better arm than Austin ever did though.

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Austin Jackson for two seasons before he hurt his hamstring. He was never the same fielder afterward, but even without diving he was a great CF for 300 games. JaCoby has a better arm than Austin ever did though.

I guess I was going with the thought that the Tigers employ multiple rangey OFs on a daily basis.

I do like Jones' defense in CF.  If he isn't expected to be a focal point on offense and can supply something at the plate (occasional power and a bit of chaos on the bases for the opposition when he does get on), I can see him as an every day player.  The problem right now is that the offense is abysmal, so his lack of a bat sticks out.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Just to add to the outfield coverage discussion, I click onto bbref, and this is one of the featured player photos at the top left:

eb240336_sabr_mil.jpg

This fella, at 6'2" and 210 (1970s and 1980s dimensions, not today dimensions), covered CF for 8,146 and 1/3 innings of his 9,523 inning defensive career.  I suppose 15 of those pounds was hair.

Now I can't remember why I clicked on bbref.  Seeing Gorman Thomas just confounded me.

If I were to randomly stumble across that dude's picture on the internet and he wasn't sporting the baseball cap and somebody were to ask me what I thought his profession was,  Major League centerfielder would probably be near the bottom of the list.  

56 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I can’t believe Granderson is 37 years old. His first couple years seemed pretty good defensively. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I can’t believe Granderson is 37 years old. His first couple years seemed pretty good defensively. 

I can't believe he's 37 either.  Nor can I can't believe he has 332 HRs.

I forget who mentioned it, but if you're looking for a team to root for in the playoffs, its Milwaukee so that Granderson can get a ring.  Or do wait for him to be a bench component on the 2020 Tiger team that brings back Verlander to win the World Series?

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I can't believe he's 37 either.  Nor can I can't believe he has 332 HRs.

I forget who mentioned it, but if you're looking for a team to root for in the playoffs, its Milwaukee so that Granderson can get a ring.  Or do wait for him to be a bench component on the 2020 Tiger team that brings back Verlander to win the World Series?

I’m still bummed we never found a way to bring granderson back. 

• Thanks 1

Curtis Granderson has more career HR's than doubles (332 to 328.)

He is 19th all-time in batter KO's with 1812.  

1 more will tie him with Manny Ramirez for 18th, and 4 more will tie him with Dave Kingman at 16th.

Incidentally, Mike Cameron (Daz's father) is 9th all-time at 1901 KO's.