Keepleyland2

9/11 @6:40 Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers

At worst JaCoby's defense has bought him more time because he can be slotted as the 4th OF if he continues to struggle to hit.  And in the end, that probably is what he is.  A 4th OF on a good team, a starter on a rebuilding team.

He has 80 hits, 38 of them for extra bases, so it isn't like he doesn't hit for power.  His issue is his K rate.  He strikes out 30% of the time he comes to plate.  If he cut that, my sense of it is he would be a solid regular.

That is unlikely to happen, but the Tigers are in a position to be able to wait and see if it does.  Stranger things have happened.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I regret nothing.

Did you get a brain freeze?

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

At worst JaCoby's defense has bought him more time because he can be slotted as the 4th OF if he continues to struggle to hit.  And in the end, that probably is what he is.  A 4th OF on a good team, a starter on a rebuilding team.

He has 80 hits, 38 of them for extra bases, so it isn't like he doesn't hit for power.  His issue is his K rate.  He strikes out 30% of the time he comes to plate.  If he cut that, my sense of it is he would be a solid regular.

That is unlikely to happen, but the Tigers are in a position to be able to wait and see if it does.  Stranger things have happened.

I wonder if his percentage of barrels has increased over the course of this season?  It doesn't appear that his SO/PA have improved over time.

I suspect he is nothing more than 4th OF, but as you said, there is some time allowed to improve.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I lost the over/under on the amount of time it would take Oblong to comment on this picture.

I missed this.... was this recently?

And really... did you lose a bet?  And I see the sunglases perched on the hat, don't try and crop it.  All that's left is the hemp necklace.

It was last night. And I did crop it because the original was too big to upload. 

I can attest that Shelton exists (contrary to speculation otherwise).  Biggs, however, is clearly a robot.

What did Biggs do with the free panties they give out when ordering the drink?

Just now, Oblong said:

What did Biggs do with the free panties they give out when ordering the drink?

I think Dan kept those for himself. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I will say this.  That drink was a lot stronger than I expected it to be.

Saving this info for when the wife goes with me next time.

I wonder if they would put it in one of those slushy cups so I can pretend it's something else?

Dan told them to put a little extra in, so bear that in mind, but it just tasted like tequila.  With a hint of generic red flavor.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I missed this.... was this recently?

And really... did you lose a bet?  And I see the sunglases perched on the hat, don't try and crop it.  All that's left is the hemp necklace.

We were planning to see if you were at the game but I somehow lost your contact in my phone so we had no way to reach you.

7 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

I can attest that Shelton exists (contrary to speculation otherwise).  Biggs, however, is clearly a robot.

And Shelton looks just like Dmitri Young.  

21 hours ago, Casimir said:

I wonder if his percentage of barrels has increased over the course of this season?  It doesn't appear that his SO/PA have improved over time.

I suspect he is nothing more than 4th OF, but as you said, there is some time allowed to improve.

Looking at his statcast numbers his xwOBA is .301(compared to actual .275).  That takes into account quality of contact so it looks like Jacoby has been a bit unlucky this year.   League average wOBA is .315, so with the right amount of luck he is right around that.  Playing great defense at a premium position while holding down league average offense is quite valuable.   Hopefully that happens next year.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Looking at his statcast numbers his xwOBA is .301(compared to actual .275).  That takes into account quality of contact so it looks like Jacoby has been a bit unlucky this year.   League average wOBA is .315, so with the right amount of luck he is right around that.  Playing great defense at a premium position while holding down league average offense is quite valuable.   Hopefully that happens next year.  

Here's how we know the season is officially not good.  Jones is 4th in WAR for the Tigers.

Quite the opposite, I feel.

I had no expectations for JaCoby having value prior to this season and now I have reason to believe he could be a good bench piece with a chance to being a solid starter.

If the Tigers weren't tanking, he wouldn't have gotten nearly as much a chance.

I don't know.  It seems to me to have more to do with failure of other players than it does success for Jones.  I'll have to drink about that one for a little bit.

So you claim it was an above average drink.  Is that because you would give it more than 81 points on a 162 point scale, or are there other factors to consider?  Does the strength/shape/color of the vessel factor in?