Jump to content

Keepleyland2

9/10 @6:10 Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

People everywhere, rental scooters zipping around and being left all hours of the day and night without being stolen, tables and chairs and various things left around and not stolen, beautiful store fronts that are not marred by security bars and gates and such, and seem unmolested. 

It' s amazing what you can do with a few hundred cheap video cameras.

I remember Downtown in the early 60's, it was still something but you could feel the momentum had already shifted in the wrong direction. It has definitely crossed over to looking better than it did even then. Still nothing like the bustle that a city population of 2 million produced and still so much work to do outside the civic center, but it's on the right track now. The business district is where the tax base gets regenerated, and solvency is the first step to everything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kdog said:

Damn who knew the Tigers would have a more competitive night than their counterparts across the street. 

You can stay in a lot of ball games when you get decent starting pitching. Even the BP hasn't been too bad - other than our 'closer'. Wait - isn't that backwards? 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Also, I walked back to my parking space at City Hall (where I work)....I had the most awesome walk!  I was last in Detroit 12 years ago, and I am completely gob-smacked, amazed, blown away, thrilled, confounded by how incredibly awesome everything is downtown now.  People everywhere, rental scooters zipping around and being left all hours of the day and night without being stolen, tables and chairs and various things left around and not stolen, beautiful store fronts that are not marred by security bars and gates and such, and seem unmolested.  I'm overjoyed!  I was practically floating by the time I got back to my car.  Downtown Detroit has really been transformed! 

I am super-excited to be working for the City to help with this great revitalization.  I was CFO for the City of Kalamazoo and now am a mid-level Treasury official with Detroit, but actually got a boost in compensation -- they are really working to recruit talent.  Got to meet Mayor Duggan at our Employee Orientation today, quite a leader, and he was really exciting to listen to.  He asked us to talk a little about ourselves and asked us personal questions.  Really pumped!

That's awesome Sabre! Congratulations!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy for Detroit and Verlander. Too bad more Lions fans didn't come to Comerica for the first few innings to fill the stadium for Verlander. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was interesting that Verlander addressed the Martinez issue during his post game comments.  He didn't get into specifics, but acknowledged that there was an issue and it was tough to walk away from each other on that note, and was touched to see Martinez cap tip him in the first plate appearance last night.

Verlander also mentioned looking over into the Detroit dugout and noticing a lot of unfamiliar faces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Casimir said:

I thought it was interesting that Verlander addressed the Martinez issue during his post game comments.  He didn't get into specifics, but acknowledged that there was an issue and it was tough to walk away from each other on that note, and was touched to see Martinez cap tip him in the first plate appearance last night.

I agree ..and will also say that I felt it JV was very humble throughout that entire interview.  I hope he decides to return to the Tigers via FA after 2019 ..provided Chris Ilitch offers him a reasonable contract (not outrageous.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Happy for Detroit and Verlander. Too bad more Lions fans didn't come to Comerica for the first few innings to fill the stadium for Verlander. 

After 55 years of Ford-family ownership ..it is a wonder to me that some Lion fans remain overly optimistic year after year.

In my opinion ..they will always be the Same Old Lions until they actually prove otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Shelton said:

How many times in the past has there been an overlapping tigers and lions game?

I remember the 2014 home playoff game against Baltimore had a Lions game next door.  That game ended before the Tigers and was on a last second play.  watchig the Lions fans depart and walk along Adams from our seats was deflating.  Seeing thousands of people go by in silence was weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Also, I walked back to my parking space at City Hall (where I work)....I had the most awesome walk!  I was last in Detroit 12 years ago, and I am completely gob-smacked, amazed, blown away, thrilled, confounded by how incredibly awesome everything is downtown now.  People everywhere, rental scooters zipping around and being left all hours of the day and night without being stolen, tables and chairs and various things left around and not stolen, beautiful store fronts that are not marred by security bars and gates and such, and seem unmolested.  I'm overjoyed!  I was practically floating by the time I got back to my car.  Downtown Detroit has really been transformed! 

I am super-excited to be working for the City to help with this great revitalization.  I was CFO for the City of Kalamazoo and now am a mid-level Treasury official with Detroit, but actually got a boost in compensation -- they are really working to recruit talent.  Got to meet Mayor Duggan at our Employee Orientation today, quite a leader, and he was really exciting to listen to.  He asked us to talk a little about ourselves and asked us personal questions.  Really pumped!

Wish I had known you were there.  My wife and I were strolling around all night as my section was completely empty.  Usually I stay in my seats because we talk to the people we sit by. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

After 55 years of Ford-family ownership ..it is a wonder to me that some Lion fans remain overly optimistic year after year.

In my opinion ..they will always be the Same Old Lions until they actually prove otherwise.

Finally!  Someone voices what others must be thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Wish I had known you were there.  My wife and I were strolling around all night as my section was completely empty.  Usually I stay in my seats because we talk to the people we sit by.

Yeah...I was kinda hoping someone from MTS was watching the GT 'cause I was posting pictures from my seat next to the 'stros dugout.  Next time I'm going I'll post beforehand and ask who is going to be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It' s amazing what you can do with a few hundred cheap video cameras.

I remember Downtown in the early 60's, it was still something but you could feel the momentum had already shifted in the wrong direction. It has definitely crossed over to looking better than it did even then. Still nothing like the bustle that a city population of 2 million produced and still so much work to do outside the civic center, but it's on the right track now. The business district is where the tax base gets regenerated, and solvency is the first step to everything else. 

Yessir....and business-talent recruitment nowadays depends on having a good/safe environment...Detroit has crossed that threshold in ways I could not have imagined 12 years ago.  The Brush Park/LCA area, WSU campus, Woodward corridor, New Center and Eastern Market have also experienced major improvements, though I haven't been on foot in those areas as much yet.  I can only hope that the neighborhoods start to feel the upswing too at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Yessir....and business-talent recruitment nowadays depends on having a good/safe environment...Detroit has crossed that threshold in ways I could not have imagined 12 years ago.  The Brush Park/LCA area, WSU campus, Woodward corridor, New Center and Eastern Market have also experienced major improvements, though I haven't been on foot in those areas as much yet.  I can only hope that the neighborhoods start to feel the upswing too at some point.

West Village is my favorite area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

West Village is my favorite area.

Yes, it seems that some places along the Jefferson corridor have improved...Indian Village was always a little bit of an oasis of sorts...Palmer Park on the northeast side...Old Redford on the northwest side.  Seems that some of the border n'hoods where the cops and firefighters used to live when residency was required have been better, though I don't know their present conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×