Keepleyland2

9/10 @6:10 Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers

Lest anyone think I was serious in my previous posts, I am still extremely bitter that the Tigers found themselves in the position of desiring to trade Justin.

me too

as far as Verlander.   no one's harassed me.   

I keep walking by her desk but still....

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Lest anyone think I was serious in my previous posts, I am still extremely bitter that the Tigers found themselves in the position of desiring to trade Justin.

There's no shame in taking that bitterness to one's grave.  It is quite disgusting that they backed themselves into that corner.

10 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I'm not sure that even if she stays home, miles away from the park, they won't suddenly be expecting twins.

Here's something that not everybody knows but when Jim was in the 11th grade, when he was 18, his Latin teacher who was 61 at the time suddenly needed to take a few months off, and later on it was rumoured that her leave of absence was necessary in order for her to bear a child.  Was Jim ever with her in that intimate sense?  Of course not, don't be silly, he was too busy knocking up every girl in the entire school and there were 1,200 of them.  But it seemed as though, in the case of his Latin teacher, even the close proximity to Jim at that age was enough for that,  for her, the outcome was to bear his progeny. 

There have been similar stories down in Lakeland.  

Can someone briefly summarize Stewart's path to the majors, explain a bit why we're excited, skeptical?  I don't really pay attention to the minors enough to have a reason right now to be intrigued, but I'd like to be.

Is he really someone who will be a reason why this team is competitive in the (hopefully) near future?

1 minute ago, thefunk said:

Can someone briefly summarize Stewart's path to the majors, explain a bit why we're excited, skeptical?  I don't really pay attention to the minors enough to have a reason right now to be intrigued, but I'd like to be.

Is he really someone who will be a reason why this team is competitive in the (hopefully) near future?

He could provide a power component to our lineup.

23 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Reasons to be excited: Good power and draws walks

Reasons to be skeptical: Poor fielder, doesn't make enough contact.  Making a little better contact this year, fielding rumored to be improved but still weak.  

He has chance to be a productive hitter, but he needs to be really good because he is a liability on defense.  He is kind of in the same boat as Castellanos (not the same skillset, but same offense/defense breakdown).   

I thought that someone here (Microline?) suggested that his bat speed wasn't great and could get exposed in MLB.  

It will be interesting to see if Victor Martinez faces Ver tonight. He did not face him in Houston earlier this year.. I anticipate Victor taking the day off tonight as well. This dates back to their run in during the brawl with the Yankees last year. 

Don't be a coward, Victor.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am not a fan, FWIW.

I am not either, but he has enough upside where I am interested to see what he can do.   

I'm not too optimistic based on what has been said, but might as well see what he has to offer.

33 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

It will be interesting to see if Victor Martinez faces Ver tonight. He did not face him in Houston earlier this year.. I anticipate Victor taking the day off tonight as well. This dates back to their run in during the brawl with the Yankees last year. 

Don't be a coward, Victor.

I don’t think Victor would make that choice and I expect to see him in the lineup, along with everyone else who bats lefty

I care more about this one than the Lions game.

26 minutes ago, kdog said:

I care more about this one than the Lions game.

Same.

Beck:

Matt Hall and Spencer Turnbull are here, but Tigers won’t call them up until tomorrow. One will slot into six-man rotation. The other will work in bullpen.

13 hours ago, Walewander said:

When Liriano had that great start to his career, I was sure that the Twins had another perennial Cy Young threat to pair with Johan and I was so angry. 

I was active on the ESPN boards at the time and there were constant battles between Tigers and Twins fans about who was going to be better between Verlander and Liriano, looks like the Tigers won that argument.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was active on the ESPN boards at the time and there were constant battles between Tigers and Twins fans about who was going to be better between Verlander and Liriano, looks like the Tigers won that argument.  

We won the argument, but ended up with the wrong one.  

7 hours ago, Oblong said:

Will he have trouble in the first inning?

I always thought that was a Jeremy Bonderman thing - throw 40 pitches in the first inning and give up back to back homers and before settling in and looking unhittable for the next five innings and eventually getting tired from striking everybody out. 

51 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Prior to the injury, I could see that being a legitimate question. For a guy who threw 100+ MPH and had a lights-out curve ball, Verlander had an awful lot of trouble putting people away in his rookie year. Liriano just mowed guys down. 

I remember reading a fangraphs article on the lack of Ks for Verlander his rookie season, and the author concluded his stuff was too good not to get more Ks and that one should expect a rise in his strikeout rate as he gained experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I remember reading a fangraphs article on the lack of Ks for Verlander his rookie season, and the author concluded his stuff was too good not to get more Ks and that one should expect a rise in his strikeout rate as he gained experience.

Might ..maybe ..be similar for Fulmer ..that he may increase his KO totals as his pitching ability matures.

It's packed down here, but it's all Lions fans. Some lots want $50 to park. I'm the only Tigers fan at Harbor House, they usually they do $2 domestic drafts before Tigers games but apparently not when the Lions play, but for me there going to give me the $2 price since I've been here 40 plus times this year for Tigers games.

• Like 1