Keepleyland2

9/8 @6:10 St. Louis Cardinals vs Detroit Tigers

Thank you game thread warriors.  I'm just getting here, and I always read the game thread before I go to MLB for the box score.  Nice win, and the best thing about it was Boyd.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Something I noticed is Boyd got 4 or 5 borderline calls the Cardinals did not get.

Not sure if that is credit to Griener framing pitches or home field advantage.

I would guess that in general borderline calls tend to favor the guys who throw harder and/or have the better stuff, and Boyd  had both of those tonight. But just looking at Brooks, it looks like it was more of right left pitcher thing with the ump. The Tigers got 4 'big zone' calls against LHH, while the Cards got 3 against RHH. As I read the charts, and assuming most of the pitches were by the starters, then the ump was giving both pitchers a little extra on the side their breaking ball ran to when it was outside to the batter (batter same hand as pitcher)

This sounds very "Porcelloish" but if you remove Boyd's two disastrous starts back to back at Cleveland and Cincy(let's face it pitching in Ohio sucks) then he would have like a 3.60 ERA and a WHIP around 1.   

15 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

On a serious note, I am right in the path of Florence. Yeah me! and I don't really get to evacuate, yeah work!

So you know what that means for game threads the rest of the year. Will I have internet, who know? I already let bert know. I will probably go create a folder on some image hosting site for the pics (i'll name them with the days I planned to use them, the year its from, etc) and share in one of the game threads. If you don't see the game thread by 10 a.m. on the gameday someone just go ahead and create one. 

Stay safe.

14 hours ago, chasfh said:

Anyone know why the Tigers are wearing roads at home while the Cards wear the homes? Are they trying to replicate the look of Game 7 from 1968?

I like them.  Plain and simple.  But the stirrups suck.  Too much sanitary showing.

11 hours ago, kdog said:

Toledo eliminated...time for the callups.

Crap.  I'm watching the recording of it now.  I should have known better.

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Having Deuce bunt there was disrespectful...

The Gates Brown hot dog double story that was mentioned during the broadcast was great.

One of these games, Deuce is going to be exposed taking draws off of his Luck Strike while in the field.  Heck, if the cameras time it just right, they might catch him offering the runner at first a smoke.

25 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I bought arm floaties yesterday. I'll be fine

7607c009ccd5412dd770becbe1f3d6fe.jpg

13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Having Deuce bunt there was disrespectful...

Without that bunt, the winning run may OR may not have been on third base.   Thank God there is someone on this team that can bunt.

What a nice job by the Tigers to honor the surviving guys.  There was a moment of silence to honor those teammates that have passed. It's too bad that there weren't more people there in the stands.image.thumb.png.340e6c9fbe2e43485a78904fa088ffb4.png

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I would guess that in general borderline calls tend to favor the guys who throw harder and/or have the better stuff, and Boyd  had both of those tonight. But just looking at Brooks, it looks like it was more of right left pitcher thing with the ump. The Tigers got 4 'big zone' calls against LHH, while the Cards got 3 against RHH. As I read the charts, and assuming most of the pitches were by the starters, then the ump was giving both pitchers a little extra on the side their breaking ball ran to when it was outside to the batter (batter same hand as pitcher)

Doing some research for a thing earlier this year, I found that according to pitch location reported by Statcast, umpires were far more likely to call a strike down and away against a LHH than against a RHH. But also, curiously, they were more likely to call a strike up and away on a RHH than on a LHH. It probably looks like umps are biased against LHHs because pitchers are way more likely to work down and away on a hitter than up and away.