Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

On Ernie Harwell's Audio Scrapbook, Ernie goes into the story of how he and Leo Durocher got into a fight on a team train trip.

image.png.43486a939fbcc2e24f56b6d04c325395.png

• Like 1

You know the Tigers have to love/hate this story. They have to hate the embarrassment. On the other hand, how many more are gonna tune in tomorrow, then you got the 1968 celebration and JV pitching in Detroit on Monday. TV ratings bonanza! 

Now we're hearing that Mario took Rod's special chair, a chair that Rod needed for his ailing back. This doesn't look good for Mario. Not good at all.

You don't mess with the handicapped.

2 hours ago, Stanley68 said:

Play by play guys just need to be good at calling the game and just a dash of personality. Impemba can call a decent game but can't even reach the low standard of "dash" for personality.

And color guys need personality and baseball knowledge. Rod Allen actually has both and for stretches can be good, but then the cornyness comes out and ruins everything.

Very well said. Excellent.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Rod breaks his silence. 

That reads like an "I done messed up" statement.

3 hours ago, Stanley68 said:

Play by play guys just need to be good at calling the game and just a dash of personality. Impemba can call a decent game but can't even reach the low standard of "dash" for personality.

And color guys need personality and baseball knowledge. Rod Allen actually has both and for stretches can be good, but then the cornyness comes out and ruins everything.

That is exactly it. Very good. 

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Rod breaks his silence. 

A personal matter, or a personnel matter?  Also, "Because this is a personnel matter." is not a sentence.  That's a sentence fragment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clark1mt said:

That reads like an "I done messed up" statement.

I'm kind of surprised either party addressed this publicly.

9 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Now we're hearing that Mario took Rod's special chair, a chair that Rod needed for his ailing back. This doesn't look good for Mario. Not good at all.

You don't mess with the handicapped.

Don't mess with the handicapped when that person already has a temper.

All said, I wasn't there so I don't know. Has Mario reached a point of frustration where he is needling to try to get Rod to react poorly? Is FSD glad because their hope was that the recent demotion would frustrate Rod enough to seek employment elsewhere and now they have their excuse to be done with him forever?

I'd be surprised if Mario is let go and I suspect that any punishment he receives is done with a wink.

How the **** did FSD or the Tigers keep these guys together this long if there was significant bad blood between them?

I always took the "Mario and Rod don't get along" talk to mean they didn't hang out and their personalities clashed... not that they hate each other.  

Rod Allen and Jim Price are the two guys I've wanted out of the broadcasting booth for years.  It looks like one half of my wish might come true.

12 hours ago, stanpapi said:

My initial reaction to this, beyond the chuckle...was that I wanted to ask Mario if Rod was 'country strong'?

Seriously,  this has been one of the worst announcing teams for quite a while. It's stunning they've let them continue this long. There are plenty of professional people FSD could hire, so they should just get on with it. I think, no matter who was at fault, whether there was a chokehold or not, they should use this as a fine excuse to just let both of them walk. It's time for someone new.

This whole incident reminded me of something Paul Carey said about Ernie Harwell after he died. Carey smoked for 17 years. He always had a cigarette going in the booth, and he said he felt bad, because Ernie didn't smoke, and those booths were so tight with no ventilation. In 1989, Carey and his wife both quit smoking. He called Ernie and said "Ernie, I want to let you know that I've quit smoking". Ernie told him that was the nicest Christmas gift anyone could have ever given him. But Ernie never said a word about his smoking or complained one time about it for all 17 years.

Those two were the gold standard, both as announcers and men. They don't make them like that anymore. 

That is a great story and a show of 2 real men IMO.  He was bothered by it, never said a word, Carey knew he was bothered by it and decided to quit so it would no longer bother a respected friend.

That is great.

With regard to Price... he doesn't bother me.  He has an autistic son.  He was raising money for that for a very long time.  I can't imagine the difficulties he and his wife face at their age.  If having a gig like this helps support not only them but any other fundraising they do for Jack's place I'm ok with it. 

Special Needs parents have a bond.

• Like 1

Jim objectively has gotten much, much better as well.  I mean, compared to 15 years, it is night and day.

Plus he and Dan work really well together.

I think it will be hard to replace Jim and not have a fall off for a few years at least.

Regarding that Ernie Harwell story, I think a lot of it had to do with the times.  Smoking in a public place was socially acceptable during the vast majority of the time frame they worked together.  My dad used to smoke in his office up until the late 80's as an example.

I wouldn't have thought any less of Ernie if he asked Paul to step outside of the press box to smoke given it was a confined area, nor do I think  more of him for not having said anything.

42 minutes ago, Oblong said:

How the **** did FSD or the Tigers keep these guys together this long if there was significant bad blood between them?

I guess I don't understand that either.  Its not like they were a great team together on the broadcast.

I'm often surprised when I read when people say they love Rod Allen's broadcasting. I chalk it up to these are the fans who came on around 2006 and don't know any better because that is what they have "always had". Those two guys, no matter how poor or good they perform, are the representation of those fans' enjoyment of Tigers baseball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Oblong said:

With regard to Price... he doesn't bother me.  He has an autistic son.  He was raising money for that for a very long time.  I can't imagine the difficulties he and his wife face at their age.  If having a gig like this helps support not only them but any other fundraising they do for Jack's place I'm ok with it. 

Special Needs parents have a bond.

You and I have both shared stories of our encounters with Jim Price. He is honestly the nicest man I have ever met in my life. Bar none.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

You and I have both shared stories of our encounters with Jim Price. He is honestly the nicest man I have ever met in my life. Bar none.

tru dat

Brooks Robinson was also extremely nice.  I tagged along at an autograph event with a friend.  When he saw me and reached for something to sign I told him I didn't get a ticket and didn't have anything.  He shook my hand and thanked me for coming anyway.  That was better than an autograph.