Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

If I watched the tigers on mlb tv with audio overlay I would also prefer that the superior announcer remain on the radio. 

Foe the vast majority of fans that watch the tigers on FSD or use mlb tv without audio overlay, the superior announcer on tv would be great. 

I agree, but I am selfish about entertainment  

Even if FSN offered Dan the job could he take it?  I'm sure he's locked into a contract with 97.1, maybe there is an out clause if he gets offered a TV job or something. 

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Even if FSN offered Dan the job could he take it?  I'm sure he's locked into a contract with 97.1, maybe there is an out clause if he gets offered a TV job or something. 

FSN could probably purchase his current contract. I'm sure FSN and 97.1 have a good relationship or else they wouldn't have allowed Dickerson to fill in on tv.  

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

If I watched the tigers on mlb tv with audio overlay I would also prefer that the superior announcer remain on the radio. 

Foe the vast majority of fans that watch the tigers on FSD or use mlb tv without audio overlay, the superior announcer on tv would be great. 

He wouldn't be the same announcer on TV that he is on the radio. You can't be. He'd still be better than Mario, but Dan on TV wouldn't be the same as Dan on the Radio, just because the TV PBP guy has a different set of tasks to do than the radio BPB guy does.

I have yet to hear a female commentator that I would like to hear for 163 games. I’m sure there’s one out there somewhere, but the small sample size we have today of women in PBP roles has not provided me with any positive listening experiences. 

I like Katrina Hancock, though not sure how she’d be at PBP.  I like Mendoza on ESPN, too, but wouldn’t want her getting the gig.

I think the set-up will not change. It will  be a PBP person and an ex-tiger. That has been the scheme for 60 yrs, and in most other cities as well.  Since Gibson seems to be very popular, there will be a big effort to provide diversity balance at the PBP mic. The Networks tend to scarf those guys up, but I could see them making a full court press to get a guy with local connections like Mike Tirico to join the team - just not sure why he would take it.

Especially if it only pays $55K a year. 

If it’s not Mario I hope it’s a solid pro with baseball experience. Someone we don’t know yet 

Count me in on DD staying in radio.  The things I like about him would be wasted on TV.  

5 hours ago, thefunk said:

I have yet to hear a female commentator that I would like to hear for 163 games. I’m sure there’s one out there somewhere, but the small sample size we have today of women in PBP roles has not provided me with any positive listening experiences. 

I agree.  Mendoza is good at commentary, but I wouldn't want to hear her do PBP all year.  To be fair, there aren't too many men on TV that I want to hear all year either.  

50 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I agree.  Mendoza is good at commentary, but I wouldn't want to hear her do PBP all year.  To be fair, there aren't too many men on TV that I want to hear all year either.  

You sexist 

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think the set-up will not change. It will  be a PBP person and an ex-tiger. That has been the scheme for 60 yrs, and in most other cities as well.  Since Gibson seems to be very popular, there will be a big effort to provide diversity balance at the PBP mic. The Networks tend to scarf those guys up, but I could see them making a full court press to get a guy with local connections like Mike Tirico to join the team - just not sure why he would take it.

Mike Tirico has zero baseball on his resume, so he’s a hard “no” for me.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Why the **** is anyone talking about mike tirico?

I would assume because he checks some boxes.   Experienced PBP announcer, based in MI so has local ties and adds some diversity to the team.   I like him as an announcer, but who knows how he'd do at baseball?

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You sexist 

When it comes to broadcasting pro sports, I may be a bit sexist.  There are probably some that have the voice for it, but not too many that I have heard.   Like most things, it's probably something that I would get used to over time though.  

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

When it comes to broadcasting pro sports, I may be a bit sexist.  There are probably some that have the voice for it, but not too many that I have heard.   Like most things, it's probably something that I would get used to over time though.  

I think a lot of the resistance is not sexist in the sense of any feelings towards women.  I think it’s just being unfamiliar in hearing a female voice in that context so naturally you just assume you don’t like it.   Men and women’s voices to have different pitches to it and I think there a subconscious reaction to it.   That’s not to excuse the blatant sexism we have seen in reaction to some female announcers.  Simply pointing out that some can have this reaction without being jerks about it 

The Tiger TV gig is a really good gig, no doubt, but I think Tirico would see it as a big step backwards. It’s working practically every day for 26 weeks plus pre- and possibly post-season, it’s strictly regional, and it would be at least a 75% cut in pay for him. I’m sure no one at Fox even thought of him when writing up their long list, and Tirico would be a hard pass if they even approached him on it.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

C'mon, even Suzyn Waldman?

https://youtu.be/glANwBN6k08

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Doris Burke has grown on me, can't think of any other female pbp/analyst i like.  I respect her because she's put in the time and earned her spot with hard work and knowledge.  

On 10/13/2018 at 11:17 AM, Tenacious D said:

I like Katrina Hancock, though not sure how she’d be at PBP.  I like Mendoza on ESPN, too, but wouldn’t want her getting the gig.

Mendoza is fabulous IMO.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/lynn-henning/2018/10/17/henning-sadness-mario-impemba-and-rod-allen-fracas-haunts-all-parties-detroit-tigers/1673225002/

The flashpoint came postgame, with hot words about a rearranged interview with Jim Adduci. That seemed to be the night's capstone. It led, moments later, to a skirmish outside the booth, broken up by three freelance staffers.

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/lynn-henning/2018/10/17/henning-sadness-mario-impemba-and-rod-allen-fracas-haunts-all-parties-detroit-tigers/1673225002/

The flashpoint came postgame, with hot words about a rearranged interview with Jim Adduci. That seemed to be the night's capstone. It led, moments later, to a skirmish outside the booth, broken up by three freelance staffers.

Lynn all but admits what I have contended all along: Rod Allen was hired as a buffer to MLB's manager-minority-candidate policy because of the Phil Garner hiring. They did not interview any minorities prior to hiring Garner and Selig was on the warpath.  Then later, Rod's employment, despite the poor quality and the tension in the booth, continued because they needed their token.