Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

23 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Having delivered pizzas myself, I too have interesting stories. The most memorable being the woman who explained that she was allowed to decorate her house however she wanted because she did face time with her husband daily. This was before Apple mobile devices.

For the record, this conversation occurred right after she pulled me into her bathroom to show off the decorating job she did in there after I had complimented the color of her foyer.

Recessed lighting?  Hardwood or carpeting?

KL, why are you so deadset against the numbers that Mario would make $500,000 a year? Honestly, that's not surprising at all, there's only so many MLB teams. Especially with the tv viewership and region of the Tigers.

Joe Buck and Al Michaels make $6,000,000 - $7,000,000 a year. That's the all star team of payscales. 1/2 million for a daily gig for a tenured MLB broadcaster is expected. 

On 10/10/2018 at 4:35 PM, ROMAD1 said:

Its not necessary for him to crazed to make it a good broadcast.  I just feel like its sad to hear that from the less informed. 

Granted, but the monotone drone does make it harder to enjoy him.  He does still have good insights to the game that help a viewer understand better, but the monotone is.... hard to listen too at times.

It also seems like there are more times when he seems to get stuck on what he wants to say.  Granted, it's not often, but it does happen and at least seems to happen more now than it used to.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am picturing the husband huffing nitrous oxide and mumbling the word 'Mother' over and over.

I am amused at the direction this thread has taken. 

4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Unsubstantiated rumor has it that Lary Sorenson is being considered for the TV booth.

The Rebuilding Tigers would not be good for his recovery. From WIKI

On February 2, 2008, he was found by police unconscious in his car in a ditch off 23 Mile Road in Chesterfield, Michigan. He had a .48 BAC and alcohol poisoning. One expert said that half of the population would die with a BAC that high.[

Lary is doing well now.  He's remarried and has turned his life around.  He's in a good relationship with his ex wife and kids.  I follow him on twitter.

It would be quite a turnaround story for sure.

Is it more stressful to announce for a poor team vs. a good team?

I suppose a good team is more fun to broadcast.  I would think the broadcast partner is a much bigger factor, though.

It's kinda funny that we are talking about this cause I was at my dentist today and I found out that he lives next door to Ken Daniels.  Been going to him for twenty years and this is the first time I he told me that.  I should've told him to ask him how much he makes.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's kinda funny that we are talking about this cause I was at my dentist today and I found out that he lives next door to Ken Daniels.  Been going to him for twenty years and this is the first time I he told me that.  I should've told him to ask him how much he makes.  

Since he lives in the same neighborhood, could just find out how much your dentist makes. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Since he lives in the same neighborhood, could just find out how much your dentist makes. 

Considering what he bills my insurance that 500K number may be a little low.:)

As long as Dan and Jim are doing radio and MLB.TV provides for audio overlay, I couldn't give less of a **** who they replace Mario and Rod with. I assume it's going to be Matt Shepard and maybe Gibby, maybe Monroe, maybe somebody else on the cheap who's already in-house at FSD.

I do know this: if somehow Dan moves over to TV full-time, I will be very unhappy. Dan is a baseball wonk who prepares exhaustively for every game, and I love how he describes everything that happens during the game to the nearest inch on radio. I also enjoy how he stealthily slips topline analysis based on deep dives into analytics and Statcast. If he moves to TV, he will by necessity have to dial those way back, but not only that, he'll also have amp up his excitement to do live reads and network cross-promotion, and he does not like reading promo on air, which is why he rushes through it when he has to fulfill that obligation on radio.

If I watched the tigers on mlb tv with audio overlay I would also prefer that the superior announcer remain on the radio. 

Foe the vast majority of fans that watch the tigers on FSD or use mlb tv without audio overlay, the superior announcer on tv would be great. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

A lot of people would. Me, I'm rooting against it.

I am too because it's better to have the best broadcaster on the radio.