Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

Mario and Rod both hit the jackpot. Mario is a total mediocrity who would be fine broadcasting Oakland U games but he's simply not MLB caliber. Rod had his moments, but agree he grew tired long ago. He lasted longer here than he would have in many other cities, especially bc his ties to Detroit are so thin. 

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I'd be shocked if either was anything close to that

Impemba had been the Tigers telecasts’ play-by-play voice and was earning at least $500,000, it is estimated by market analysts familiar with Detroit’s size and baseball pay structure. Allen is believed to have been earning about $350,000. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/10/10/candidates-replace-rod-allen-mario-impemba-detroit-tigers-fox-sports-detroit/1594496002/

Tigers are one of the biggest market's. 1/2 mill a year for a full time gig as regional broadcaster is good money if tenured that long.

For the op that posted the link for sportscaster announcer salaries, you do realize that was an average of everything from independent ball, a ball, on up to AAA, and MLB, right? That average of all of them combined, including MLB is $55k a year. 

59 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I never suggested anyone need to feel pain for him.  When a person makes more money than you apparently it is common to have no empathy for that person.

who said anything about him making money than they did.....

?

I liked Rod Allen. I enjoyed the perspective from a career minor leaguer whose biggest success was simply making a major league roster. He wasn't polished but he seemed like a true fan of the team. My favorite Rod moment was the Galarraga perfect game. First the excitement on the Jackson catch. Sure it was a nice catch but the fact he went nuts on a decent catch when Mario was trying to keep down the fact a perfect game was in progress. Then the complete 180 and disappointment in his voice. It felt very genuine and liked someone murdered his dog. I felt like I was watching the game with a fan or buddy. I enjoyed his anecdotes. Considering the Tigers had one of the highest TV ratings in all of baseball during their run, a lot of other people did too. Allen had an appeal to the basic fan. We discuss advanced stats on this forum that a lot of people who watch the games don't. I'll miss Allen but you can't choke your co-workers. 

49 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll miss Allen but you can't choke your co-workers. 

I take it you've never watched professional wrestling?

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I liked Rod Allen. I enjoyed the perspective from a career minor leaguer whose biggest success was simply making a major league roster. He wasn't polished but he seemed like a true fan of the team. My favorite Rod moment was the Galarraga perfect game. First the excitement on the Jackson catch. Sure it was a nice catch but the fact he went nuts on a decent catch when Mario was trying to keep down the fact a perfect game was in progress. Then the complete 180 and disappointment in his voice. It felt very genuine and liked someone murdered his dog. I felt like I was watching the game with a fan or buddy. I enjoyed his anecdotes. Considering the Tigers had one of the highest TV ratings in all of baseball during their run, a lot of other people did too. Allen had an appeal to the basic fan. We discuss advanced stats on this forum that a lot of people who watch the games don't. I'll miss Allen but you can't choke your co-workers. 

This is one of the worst arguments ever. How long until people realize that no one is gonna turn off the tv in a playoff chase just because the announcers suck?  Can’t tell you how many games I watch muted with Dan on the radio synced up to my dvr. 

THE MOST ILLUMINATING THING in this whole saga is that FSD is amateur hour and multiple people in big time behind-the-scenes jobs over there have no idea what they’re doing. 

4 minutes ago, thefunk said:

This is one of the worst arguments ever. How long until people realize that no one is gonna turn off the tv in a playoff chase just because the announcers suck?  Can’t tell you how many games I watch muted with Dan on the radio synced up to my dvr. 

THE MOST ILLUMINATING THING in this whole saga is that FSD is amateur hour and multiple people in big time behind-the-scenes jobs over there have no idea what they’re doing. 

the consequences of that bad management could not be less important

5 hours ago, CapitalTigers said:

For the op that posted the link for sportscaster announcer salaries, you do realize that was an average of everything from independent ball, a ball, on up to AAA, and MLB, right? That average of all of them combined, including MLB is $55k a year. 

Yes. And do you realize there is a top level listed among that average, which is probably what the MLB guys make. I don't believe that 500K number given to French is accurate. 

You guys are so focused on that average number instead of the range, for some odd reason

9 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yes. And do you realize there is a top level listed among that average, which is probably what the MLB guys make. I don't believe that 500K number given to French is accurate. 

You guys are so focused on that average number instead of the range, for some odd reason

Umm- the same article also said this:

Entry level baseball announcers usually earn relatively small salaries. Top pro baseball and sports announcer salaries, though, may reach grand slam compensation levels in the millions of dollars annually.

The gig in Detroit is arguably one of the top 15 in the country. I don't know what motivation the Det News would have for running numbers they hadn't been able to verify from a reliable source.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Umm- the same article also said this:

The gig in Detroit is arguably one of the top 15 in the country.

That's refering to guys like Joe Buck, national gigs, that pay $5 million. **** Chris Berman only made $3 million in his last year at ESPN.

I really think you guys are overestimating how much media people are paid. Even someone like mario. Could mario get to 500K a year? Sure but its probably through endorsements and other spots, not his baseball calling gig. 

500K does seem a little steep, that's over $3,000 a game which seems way too high for a local broadcaster.   I'm guessing he may have made half that after you include benefits. 

25 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That's refering to guys like Joe Buck, national gigs, that pay $5 million. **** Chris Berman only made $3 million in his last year at ESPN.

I really think you guys are overestimating how much media people are paid. Even someone like mario. Could mario get to 500K a year? Sure but its probably through endorsements and other spots, not his baseball calling gig. 

And 3 million is a lot more than 500K.

National baseball broadcasting is only a part time job today KL. Half the time the networks import a broadcaster that already works full time in some town for the playoffs because they are the best (i.e. Miller). Buck and Darling are probably the only guys that work regularly nationally. The money in baseball is local TV - I would expect the salaries as well. I just don't see any reason to take a lot of issue with a number that the people looking into the specific case came up with. I;m curious why you thing the News would have invented it? There was no need to even mention it in the story if some one hadn't given them the information.

Heck - you'd have to pay a petroleum engineer that travels as much as Mario close to 200k, and they are a lot easier to find that even mediocre baseball announcers.

Yeah. Why would they make that up?  Lynn is in the business.  He knows the going rate for top guys.  He has no reason to inflate the figure.  Like I said. I know where a guy lived 25 years ago and saw a number relatively comparable in today’s dollars and environment. 

The top media people locally make more.  Someone like Bernie Smilovitz?  Probably a million.  So 500K isn’t a stretch and there’s nothing out there to doubt it. 

8 hours ago, Oblong said:

I used to deliver pizzas to Bob Rathbun when he was here.  HDie lived in Dearborn.  He lived in a nice luxury condo/apartment area that other players lived in, along with Sparky and Bo.  Buddy Bell did too.  It wasn't a cheap place.  That was 25 years ago.  I recall reading at at the time that he and Rizzs made just under six figures.

Did he know that you spat on it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Did he know that you spat on it?

He can't remember whether it Rathbun's pizza or Rizzs' pizza he spat on.

The only reason I knew it was him was because it said “rathbun” on the little knocker thing. Then as he paid he said “there you go Chief” in a nasally baseball announcer voice. 

This was 1994-1996 era.  Bob Hamelin. Scott Livingstone. (The day after he was traded. He was still here). 

34 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He can't remember whether it Rathbun's pizza or Rizzs' pizza he spat on.

Understandable completely, I could never tell them apart.  Oh sure the delivery slip said "Rathbun", when I was in university we used to order pizzas for guys who were dead.  But come on Oblong, when he answered the doorbell, how did you know that it was Rathbun and not Rizzs?  By his voice?  Get in the game, they had identical voices.

During the heyday, the Tigers had the highest rated TV broadcasts in MLB pretty much every year.  That definitely plays a part in how much these two were making and I have no doubt they were paid much as Henning stated.  Too bad for them they couldnt get over their petty bull****.  Oh well.

9 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

During the heyday, the Tigers had the highest rated TV broadcasts in MLB pretty much every year.  That definitely plays a part in how much these two were making and I have no doubt they were paid much as Henning stated.  Too bad for them they couldnt get over their petty bull****.  Oh well.

I think the losing was a at least part of Rod's problem in terms of the quality of the broadcast slipping. I don't think he ever found the right voice/balance/tone - whatever,  for doing analysis on a bad team. Too much of his commentary was divorced from the reality of the skills and prospects of the players he was talking about. You don't have to dump on your guys, but you can't keep cherry picking nonsense small sample stats and talking about the James McCanns and Alex Wilsons of the world like they are all-stars. It starts to sound silly - and did.

9 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Understandable completely, I could never tell them apart.  Oh sure the delivery slip said "Rathbun", when I was in university we used to order pizzas for guys who were dead.  But come on Oblong, when he answered the doorbell, how did you know that it was Rathbun and not Rizzs?  By his voice?  Get in the game, they had identical voices.

Are you saying maybe they were... swingers?

The nameplate on the door said Rathbun.  It was engraved.

Here's some anecdotes:

One lady in a hotel answered the door holding a towel over her front so I wouldn't see any naughty bits.  Behind her the entire wall was a mirror.  Nice butt.

Another hotel room, a lady asks me to step in, a common request since those doors are so heavy and shut automatically, no big deal.  Happens all the time.  It was a jacuzzi suite.  Sitting in the jacuzzi was another lady.  Topless.  The lady who answered had a robe on.  "This kind of thing never happened to me before...."

Another regular customer would often come to the door in a skimpy tank top with nothing on under neath.  Her husband would sit in a chair behind her.  I think it was some game they played.  Whatever.  They tipped well.  I kept that tomyself and when the address came up on the screen I'd take the order.

35 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Are you saying maybe they were... swingers?

The nameplate on the door said Rathbun.  It was engraved.

Here's some anecdotes:

One lady in a hotel answered the door holding a towel over her front so I wouldn't see any naughty bits.  Behind her the entire wall was a mirror.  Nice butt.

Another hotel room, a lady asks me to step in, a common request since those doors are so heavy and shut automatically, no big deal.  Happens all the time.  It was a jacuzzi suite.  Sitting in the jacuzzi was another lady.  Topless.  The lady who answered had a robe on.  "This kind of thing never happened to me before...."

Another regular customer would often come to the door in a skimpy tank top with nothing on under neath.  Her husband would sit in a chair behind her.  I think it was some game they played.  Whatever.  They tipped well.  I kept that tomyself and when the address came up on the screen I'd take the order.

Having delivered pizzas myself, I too have interesting stories. The most memorable being the woman who explained that she was allowed to decorate her house however she wanted because she did face time with her husband daily. This was before Apple mobile devices.

For the record, this conversation occurred right after she pulled me into her bathroom to show off the decorating job she did in there after I had complimented the color of her foyer.