Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

A guy like Impemba should be doing well financially if he's made that much recently since he's been doing this for so long I would think he's ok.   I know he's done work for Oakland university... he could do things like that to supplement his income and just sort of semi retire.  I don't know.... if I made $500K and had a job that can pay that much for 20 years like he did I'd be ready to retire and relax at the age of 55.  I know he didn't make $500K in 2006 but I'm sure it was a lot relative to the time.

24 minutes ago, Oblong said:

A guy like Impemba should be doing well financially if he's made that much recently since he's been doing this for so long I would think he's ok.   I know he's done work for Oakland university... he could do things like that to supplement his income and just sort of semi retire.  I don't know.... if I made $500K and had a job that can pay that much for 20 years like he did I'd be ready to retire and relax at the age of 55.  I know he didn't make $500K in 2006 but I'm sure it was a lot relative to the time.

I doubt he made anywhere close to 500k

24 minutes ago, Oblong said:

He's probably made 500K every year over the last 6 years. If he invested wisely and didn't do anything stupid, he should have a very nice nest egg.

1 hour ago, CapitalTigers said:

It's too bad two careers took a hit like this one. It's likely they will never see the audience or lucrative contract they were likely making ($350,000k Rod and $500,000+ Mario / yearly are the estimates).  

I'd be shocked if either was anything close to that

Just now, Biff Mayhem said:

I don't. TV revenues and tenure.

Well I think I have a bit of insight into how much media people are paid

In this case 'average' could be very deceiving - esp if it's all sports announcing. There may be 100 part time guys broadcasting division III lacrosse on a 500 watt local transmitter at $100 per diem for every top pro gig.

The whole 'if I made that much I could retire early' etc thing really bugs me.  It is all relative.  A person living close to poverty would think ANY of the salaries any of us on here make would be huge and they could live 'comfortable' and happily retire early if they made that much etc etc.  While those of us making that salary as trying to figure out a way to make more...to pay for the kids school or go on a nice vacation or maybe build an addition on the house etc.

I do not want to go all Latrell Spreewell making 14 mil a year and say 'I got kids to feed', but the point is you get used to a life style and want to make enough to continue that lifestyle for as long as you can.  Financial commitments increase as your salary increases.

Theatrically we could all 'retire early' on almost nothing if you do not mind not being able to go out to eat or go on a vacation or help your kids when they need it. 

well duh....

That goes without saying.

The point was, I don't think Mario's going to be hurting.   Any kind of modest retirement planning on his part should have given him a nice nest egg to sit on until he's 62 to collect SS and to pay his medical insurance or whatever.

As for the salary:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/10/09/mario-impemba-and-rod-allen-wont-back-tigers-tv-booth/1583978002/

Impemba’s contract, which ran through 2018 and is estimated to have paid him more than $500,000 annually, will not be renewed. Allen was in the final year of a final-year deal, with a salary pegged at about $350,000, and had a network option for 2019 that attorneys are working to settle, according to sources familiar with each broadcaster who asked to remain nameless because of legal sensitivities.

I used to deliver pizzas to Bob Rathbun when he was here.  He lived in Dearborn.  He lived in a nice luxury condo/apartment area that other players lived in, along with Sparky and Bo.  Buddy Bell did too.  It wasn't a cheap place.  That was 25 years ago.  I recall reading at at the time that he and Rizzs made just under six figures.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The whole 'if I made that much I could retire early' etc thing really bugs me.  It is all relative.  A person living close to poverty would think ANY of the salaries any of us on here make would be huge and they could live 'comfortable' and happily retire early if they made that much etc etc.  While those of us making that salary as trying to figure out a way to make more...to pay for the kids school or go on a nice vacation or maybe build an addition on the house etc.

The point clearly being made was Impemba is likely in a position to be able to semi-retire if he is so inclined.

If it is 'well duh' how come I hear 'he could live comfortable if he was not stupid' comment every time a salary is mention that is more than the person writing the post...his comfortable is not your comfortable.  Maybe instead say 'he can survive and will not be homeless' because that is what the dude struggling with 3 kids and making 50k a year would be if he did no planning.

Someone making 500k a year all of a sudden making 100k a year is going to have a very hard time adjusting.  As an example.  And for many reasons.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The point clearly being made was Impemba is likely in a position to be able to semi-retire if he is so inclined.

Having a job like his I bet means he doesn't waste a lot of money like you or I could.... he's basically working every day from March until October... half that time is on the road where I assume his expenses are paid for.   It's not like he's going golfing 3 times a week or eating out with his own money, eating out for lunch,etc.   One of the perks when I do travel on business is I find I don't spend much of my own money while I'm gone.  

Not for nothing, the highest percentage of my income I was able to invest was when I lived in Japan because I had a number of business trips when I lived there and I received a housing and food stipend.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

If it is 'well duh' how come I hear 'he could live comfortable if he was not stupid' comment every time a salary is mention that is more than the person writing the post...his comfortable is not your comfortable.  Maybe instead say 'he can survive and will not be homeless' because that is what the dude struggling with 3 kids and making 50k a year would be if he did no planning.

Someone making 500k a year all of a sudden making 100k a year is going to have a very hard time adjusting.  As an example.  And for many reasons.

I haven't the faintest how Mario handles his money. One would think that being in a business notorious for the impermanence of jobs he hasn't been fool enough to live paycheck to paycheck, but granted - you never now. Still, he has resources and talent and at this point probably a lot of connections, so I guess I'm not inclined to feel much pain for him in the overall scale of cosmic justice.....?

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I haven't the faintest how Mario handles his money. One would think that being in a business notorious for the impermanence of jobs he hasn't been fool enough to live paycheck to paycheck, but granted - you never now. Still, he has resources and talent and at this point probably a lot of connections, so I guess I'm not inclined to feel much pain for him in the overall scale of cosmic justice.....?

I never suggested anyone need to feel pain for him.  When a person makes more money than you apparently it is common to have no empathy for that person.

I can paint plenty of scenarios where his money is stretched and he lives about the same as a 'normal' person.  Some of them involve being careless with your money or having a costly addiction, but there are plenty of others that are honorable/noble.

52 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

So, it's like being a sports writer.  Glamorous, but not lucrative.  

Just a bit more lucrative but no where near as glamorous as game thread starter.

How about if they just put a mike on Deuce for game analysis?  The seven second delay should keep them safe, for the most part.  If something slips, so what.  Ernie said the Freehan was "beating his meat" during a broadcast in Anaheim.  And now he's in the hall of fame.