Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Allen's act sounded forced.  And even it wasn't, it's been stale for about a decade.  Glad he is gone.  

Did you think Ernie got "stale"?

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I think all along that the Tiger brass thought that by picking a terrible play by play guy who cared little about the games more people would attend the games rather than having to watch them on TV. It doesn't take a genius to figure this stuff out...

OTOH, Rod was a folk hero. A 21st century Berra or Stengle. I'm gonna miss ya big fella.

I think that's a big stretch to say the Tigers intentionally picked a bad guy to try and increase ticket sales. 

First, if people were really that turned off by him it would be easy enough to just mute the sound on TV to just on the radio broadcast to go with the TV, or to just listen to radio and turn off the TV completely.

Second, even if it did slightly increase ticket sales, the potential harm to those outside of the Detroit area who rarely have the option of seeing the game in person would easily outweigh gains in tickets.

Considering the billion dollar TV deals that teams sign, I really doubt the Tigers sabotaged their TV broadcast for more ticket sales, but hey, conspiracy theories are fun. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Considering the billion dollar TV deals that teams sign, I really doubt the Tigers sabotaged their TV broadcast for more ticket sales, but hey, conspiracy theories are fun. 

There you go!

7 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I think Ernie his second time around- and Vin Scully - had weakened by their final few years. Due to being legends I think they deserved to write their own ticket as to when they left, so as a listener it was nice to get those extra few years in.

I didn't mind Rod's enthusiasm so much as I did him constantly repeating tired old baseball cliches.   I also would get annoyed how anytime 1st base was open he would just assume they would walk the next batter, it's like it didn't matter the situation, if first base was open and the first pitch was a ball(even if the pitch barely missed) he would be like "Yeah they're not going to give him anything to hit, they're just gonna put him on 1st base" and sure enough the next pitch would be a strike and he would just act like he never said anything.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I can't even imagine it would could work. I just can't imagine a fan saying "F this broadcast, it's so bad I'm going to the ballpark". Just not gonna happen. Or if it did, for every one person that felt that way, there would be at least 10,000 who went to a game because they got interested in the team because they liked a broadcast. No way in the world the second group isn't way bigger than the 1st, if anyone in the 1st even exists. You can bet the quality of Tiger broadcasting with Ernie, Paul, Al and George did much  more to support Tiger attendance through the dark years than any of efforts of that burned out front office.

Just now, lordstanley said:

I think Ernie his second time around- and Vin Scully - had weakened by their final few years. Due to being legends I think they deserved to write their own ticket as to when they left, so as a listener it was nice to get those extra few years in.

Hopefully Rod gets his "second time around".

I never tired of Ernie's knowledge of the umps and their backgrounds. Ernie's explanations of their nicknames were fun also. Cornflakes Riley, anyone?

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I didn't mind Rod's enthusiasm so much as I did him constantly repeating tired old baseball cliches.   I also would get annoyed how anytime 1st base was open he would just assume they would walk the next batter, it's like it didn't matter the situation, if first base was open and the first pitch was a ball(even if the pitch barely missed) he would be like "Yeah they're not going to give him anything to hit, they're just gonna put him on 1st base" and sure enough the next pitch would be a strike and he would just act like he never said anything.

That is true. But it kind of adds to the legend.

Rod's gonna hunt some of you guys down and sit behind you at Comerica!  "You thought you were rid of me, didn't you big fella".

23 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Allen's act sounded forced.  And even it wasn't, it's been stale for about a decade.  Glad he is gone.  

about one game in ten, Rod would be great for about 10 minutes, then it would be right back to bad Rod. They probably both could have been better more of the time if they had gotten along better. The stiffness in the booth torpedoed them way more often than not.

I really don't care who they hire to replace Mario & Rod.   But I would make a suggestion that Fox do a pregame song before every game featuring Carrie Underwood.   Many guys would not miss the pregame show!

9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Plus people tuning into television broadcasts leads to merch sales. 

The only time Rod made me laugh was when they showed some stat group that Miggy belonged in and alongside of him were older guys, like maybe a Hank Greenberg or Stan Musial.... "When your picture is up there with guys in black and white... you special"

Then of course there was "Second Deck!"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I've seen this referenced a few times. Why is this funny?

I do like "you look good, you feel good; you feel good, you play good; you play good, they pay you good."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/10/11/detroit-tigers-mario-impemba-rod-allen/1595470002/

It wasn't a "choke hold" but Rod's arms were "above Impemba’s shoulder, below his chin, pushing him up against the wall".

The story puts the blame for the incident more squarely on Mario's shoulders and, while the account doesn't excuse Rod's reaction entirely, Fenech seems to side with Rod by skirting his actions during the whole ordeal. YMMV.

11 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Yes, but a stale Harwell was better than a fresh Allen.  I never liked Allen's style, but I actually thought he was amusing his first couple of years.  He ran out of material though and somehow managed to to last ten more years on catch phrases and no insight.  

27 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I do like "you look good, you feel good; you feel good, you play good; you play good, they pay you good."

You run as far as you can as hard as you until the other defender calls you off....

Repeat every damn pop up

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

The only time Rod made me laugh was when they showed some stat group that Miggy belonged in and alongside of him were older guys, like maybe a Hank Greenberg or Stan Musial.... "When your picture is up there with guys in black and white... you special"

I liked when they would show old timers and Allen and Impemba would pretend that they never heard of those guys...Actually, no I didn't.  

I just hope whoever they bring in doesn’t talk with cliche baritone announcer voice. 

It's too bad two careers took a hit like this one. It's likely they will never see the audience or lucrative contract they were likely making ($350,000k Rod and $500,000+ Mario / yearly are the estimates).  

As a baseball fanatic, I love Gibson's insights, as a player and manager he brings that insight. However, as some have noted, he definitely delivers to the baseball fans and not the everyday 'flick on the channel passerby'. I couldn't imagine him being the analyst full time.

I remember well a few years ago being on the road for a Tigers series. We were at the hotel the team was staying at. Mario was great with fans, took time with each person. I saw Rod and he nodded. I remember at the time saying how completely separated the two were in their interactions and distance.