Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wish the clip was  available of the 43 seconds of silence...........

I had heard it when the story initially went down. It's out there.

16 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Well, be the best detective you can be and find it.  

I believe in you

Boycotting the mic for 43 seconds out of spite will get you fired.    If you are having a coughing attack or sneezing attack, that's one thing.   Guys having a scuffle,  no punches thrown,  that's not fireable.   The fact it got out to the public changed that.  

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, be the best detective you can be and find it.  

I believe in you

Referenced here at 1:23 and it features a brief snippet of the silence:

42 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

You heard 43 seconds of silence?  

21 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I cannot say that I heard the whole 43 seconds but I distinctly remember hearing the audio of a long period of silence from that game.

ETA: I just got that.

8 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I bet he did.  Biff paints now.  That artistry probably sharpens the senses so much that the senses can step in for one another.

57 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I wonder if The Deuce refused to meet by the batting cage because he doesn't need practice.

I do remember them devoting a good amount of game time to discussing Deuce and interviewing his family in the stands.  I think they paid a lot of attention to him that whole series.

Duece heard the calls that Rod needed to go and he did what he could.... sometimes you get some innocent casualties but that's how it's gotta be sometimes.

11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I bet he did.  Biff paints now.  That artistry probably sharpens the senses so much that the senses can step in for one another.

Somebody needs to create a fake video or image of Allen chasing Impemba across the field among Japanese players.  

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Somebody needs to create a fake video or image of Allen chasing Impemba across the field among Japanese players.  

@Yoda

• Like 1

I never really had a problem with Mario and Rod until a few years ago, when for some reason they had Dick Enberg and Kirk Gibson do a game and its was so much better that normal. Without the altercation, I think a change was needed.

I thought Rod had a great voice.  I didn’t find his commentary that intriguing or instructive.  Mario had a good voice too but he was indeed dull.  So each one of them met the bare minimum standard of listenability but neither of them had much to say. 

Kaline/Kell were the best. Never cared for Mario or Rod, they lacked chemistry. Rod had this forced goofiness that I despised. Mario just seemed like a greasy used car salesman. 

Hopefully, a better team is in the works. CJ Nitkowski is working for the Rangers in a limited TV role.

Kirk Gibson for as legendary as he is and insightful he is...generates a "who is that dull guy?" response from my non-Tiger fan friends when they happen upon my house when I'm watching a game.   Reminds me a lot of the way people reacted to Al Kaline. 

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

Was there a mustard pack on the third chair?

I certainly thought about it the mustard was still there are reading this Henning paragraph:

For an audience that during the past 16 seasons had come to view Impemba and Allen, far too romantically, as broadcast partners seemingly immune to everyday workplace scraps, the eruption had destroyed, stunningly, a baseball television illusion.

That there is some flowering s----, uh... stuff.

40 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Kirk Gibson for as legendary as he is and insightful he is...generates a "who is that dull guy?" response from my non-Tiger fan friends when they happen upon my house when I'm watching a game.   Reminds me a lot of the way people reacted to Al Kaline. 

I think Gibson has really gone down hill in the last couple of years.  I suspect it's due in large part to the Parkinson's.  Either that or my memory of him from earlier is just too romanticized. 

Just now, RedRamage said:

I think Gibson has really gone down hill in the last couple of years.  I suspect it's due in large part to the Parkinson's.  Either that or my memory of him from earlier is just too romanticized. 

Its not necessary for him to crazed to make it a good broadcast.  I just feel like its sad to hear that from the less informed. 

I think all along that the Tiger brass thought that by picking a terrible play by play guy who cared little about the games more people would attend the games rather than having to watch them on TV. It doesn't take a genius to figure this stuff out...

OTOH, Rod was a folk hero. A 21st century Berra or Stengle. I'm gonna miss ya big fella.

Allen's act sounded forced.  And even it wasn't, it's been stale for about a decade.  Glad he is gone.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Allen's act was forced.  

He enjoyed his job and it showed. He was no more forced than say, Don Merideth. G_d I miss the guy...