Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

On 9/7/2018 at 7:25 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Jim objectively has gotten much, much better as well.  I mean, compared to 15 years, it is night and day.

Plus he and Dan work really well together.

I think it will be hard to replace Jim and not have a fall off for a few years at least.

I think that working with Dan, who is a true student of the game, has led Jim to raise his own game as well.

I have a friend, someone who’s written books about baseball broadcasting, who insists that Jim Price carried Ernie Harwell in his last few years as a broadcaster. Out of respect for his expertise I don’t argue with him about that, but I mean, come on ...

On 9/7/2018 at 7:48 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

You and I have both shared stories of our encounters with Jim Price. He is honestly the nicest man I have ever met in my life. Bar none.

He coached my team at Tigers Camp the second year I was there. Absolutely a swell guy to a fault.

23 hours ago, tiger337 said:

That's how I pronounce it.  

Thuh apple doesn’t fall far from thee tree.

23 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Pretty much everywhere I have worked, if one co-worker physically assaults another, at least one person is getting fired.

In defense of the point I believe JBK is trying to put across, Rod and Mario are on-air personalities with public followings, so it makes sense at first blush that FSD would want to maintain their presence on air to keep their fans happy.

Of course, if Rod Allen were kept on, or even hired somewhere else, the second after he assaults someone else on the staff, the lawsuits would start flying, because this is a known issue. This is one of the types of situations HR was invented to deal with.

Rod Allen the broadcaster is finished, and not just in Detroit.

22 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Bring back Josh Lewin and pair him with the grumpy Gibby of the early 2000s.

I really liked them when they worked together. The Nerd and the Jock. Comedy gold.

Josh Lewin won’t be leaving New York as long as he’s in line for the Mets #1 job.

My brother and I would always get a kick out of the random crap Lewin and Gibby would talk about.  Lewin could call a Dean Palmer home run then Gibby would ask him if he seen Saturday Night Live or something.    They seemingly would always go off on these tangents about such random things.  I guess you had to do something to keep yourself entertained watching those Tigers teams. 

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know people complained about Mario being a homer but honestly I like that in a local announcer.  I mean I want them to be critical of them if they aren't performing or to be unbiased on calls and such but I want to feel like they are a fan of the team and want them to succeed like I do and not just there to get paid.   What I'm getting at is I hope whoever they hire already has some ties to Detroit or was from here and actually cares about how the Tigers do.  

You want Dan Dickerson.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

In defense of the point I believe JBK is trying to put across, Rod and Mario are on-air personalities with public followings, so it makes sense at first blush that FSD would want to maintain their presence on air to keep their fans happy.

I re-read the post and don't really get that out of it, but independent of their on air popularity as it were, I stand by my response.

3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I never did get this new math.   504>875?

Thank you for your relentless vigilance.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I re-read the post and don't really get that out of it, but independent of their on air popularity as it were, I stand by my response.

FWIW, the comments you excised from the quote are in agreement with yours.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think that working with Dan, who is a true student of the game, has led Jim to raise his own game as well.

I have a friend, someone who’s written books about baseball broadcasting, who insists that Jim Price carried Ernie Harwell in his last few years as a broadcaster. Out of respect for his expertise I don’t argue with him about that, but I mean, come on ...

I um..... don’t necessarily disageee about the Ernie thing.  Seems like when he got fired we heard about all of his tricks and phrases.  Yes he did that.  But not all the time.  Then when he came back to radio he did it every.single.time.  

Before his firing he didn’t say “two for the price of one” or “stood there by the side of the road...”  every time.  Same with “looooog gone”.  

I’ve been on a driving vacation out west, so I did not hear about this story until literally today. We’ve been so busy driving and stopping to look at spectacular things in areas without cell or wifi service that I haven’t checked news about anything at all. We’re driving across Wyoming right now on I-90, so this is the first time I have had enough down time with sufficient connectivity to think about any of this at all.

I have turned off Mario and Rod in favor of radio overlays for years, so I’m thrilled they’re off the air for good. And I do mean “they” because that includes Mario, who left the booth under controversial circumstances, and if there’s one thing a behemoth broadcaster spending billions on sports rights doesn't have any use for, it’s controversy. If Mario came back next year, the only thing anybody would be thinking and talking about is his altercation with Rod. The Fox says, thanks but no thanks to that.

As for who to replace them, I have no idea. There are literally hundreds of experienced sports broadcasters Fox could select to replace them, and they will do so. My only hope is that they won’t be as bad as Mario and Rod were, although there’s no guarantee of that.

If Fox wanted to push the envelope at all, they might consider hiring a broadcaster of color, to help re-engage the black baseball fans of Detroit with the team.  Not Curtis Granderson, of course, because he is destined for greater media things than this. They won’t push any envelopes though.  

OK, that’s enough of that. Time to take over the driving and try to get us in the Rapid City safely. 

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I um..... don’t necessarily disageee about the Ernie thing.  Seems like when he got fired we heard about all of his tricks and phrases.  Yes he did that.  But not all the time.  Then when he came back to radio he did it every.single.time.  

Before his firing he didn’t say “two for the price of one” or “stood there by the side of the road...”  every time.  Same with “looooog gone”.  

Do you think Jim Price basically carried Ernie? As in, Ernie wasn’t cutting it anymore and needed Jim to bail him out? That’s what my friend was suggesting. 

I'm okay with Mario. He isn't great, but I don't think he's horrible, either. Rod's shtick passed it's sell-by date a decade ago, though. I'm okay with an all new crew if they decide to go that route.

I'm not a big fan of Shep; he can get irritable over disagreements, and it's not fun to listen to. Craig Monroe is god-awful. His homerism makes Hawk seem positively neutral.

Obviously Dickerson on TV would make the experience an incredible thing. However, I’m not sure it’s worth it to not have Dan calling the big moments in potential playoff games. 

I would miss Dan on the radio for playoffs so stinking much. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Obviously Dickerson on TV would make the experience an incredible thing. However, I’m not sure it’s worth it to not have Dan calling the big moments in potential playoff games. 

that's why I'd like a radio-TV simulcast.

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

looong gone was never his homerun call when I was a kid listening to every game on the radio.  He would always say "it may be" followed by "it is!...a Tiger home run".  I don't remember the exact words, but I remember "it may be" was his home run signal, although once in a while it would be caught which made me angry.  And he definitely increased the use of his sayings later in his career.  I was never sure whether they asked him to do that or whether he did it on his own.  

1 hour ago, jbhappy said:

that's why I'd like a radio-TV simulcast.

Yup. Happiest I’ve ever been was from about 2011-13 the mlb player on all platforms let you mix and match audio/video feeds. Loved WXYT and the video feed together.

6 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Yup. Happiest I’ve ever been was from about 2011-13 the mlb player on all platforms let you mix and match audio/video feeds. Loved WXYT and the video feed together.

it's still great. it's too bad it's not still on all platforms, but Roku has it, so I'm happy.

Anyone listen to the radio broadcast?

The Erie Sea Wolves announcer Greg Gania was teamed up with Jim Price.

He did pretty good.

:alien:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thefunk said:

The Tigers are at least 6-8 years away from the playoffs.