Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The best part of the DD / Price combo is the two seem to genuinely like one another.

I would be completely shocked if that were not the case.

I know Price is a good guy based on the few times I met him and talking with others and Dan seems to be a good guy so it makes sense.

Any issues with Rod and Mario could be due to things completely unrelated to their on air persona.  

Most recent article I read indicates that Allen is gone for the next six games with no mention of how long Impemba is gone.

On a Road Trip to Baltimore one time I stayed at the Team Hotel, I was on separate elevators with both Ron and Mario.  Mario was really nice and talkative, Ron gave off the DB vibes and just gave side eye.

Just now, Biff Mayhem said:

Most recent article I read indicates that Allen is gone for the next six games with no mention of how long Impemba is gone.

I read into that Rod was already scheduled to be off those games--not a punishment or suspension.

I don't see a scenario where they continue to work together.

39 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Yeah I like Monroe...seems like a cool dude I could hang with, but man he is not good at announcing.  Although he is 100x better than he used to be.

Maybe if he were paired with the right play-by-play guy.  I think he has some solid insight into the game.  He has come a long way as an announcer.

They can't possibly keep them together after this can they?  Even if they make up the viewer is still going to assume they hate each other which is something you obviously don't want in your broadcast team. 

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I read into that Rod was already scheduled to be off those games--not a punishment or suspension.

I don't see a scenario where they continue to work together.

Right. Unless Mario started the fight, I bet Mario keeps his job and Rod loses his. Rod needs the job more though. I think Mario could find work for a Fox Sports regional station somewhere in the country, even if it's doing college basketball or something. Can't see anyone in the sports world hiring Rod, not even talk radio.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Maybe if he were paired with the right play-by-play guy.  I think he has some solid insight into the game.  He has come a long way as an announcer.

He tries too hard to add cliches.  It comes off fake and forced.  I honestly prefer guys who say what the think or feel like Gibby.  Gibby says some pretty strange things, but that is why I like him as a color guy.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

He tries too hard to add cliches.  It comes off fake and forced.  I honestly prefer guys who say what the think or feel like Gibby.  Gibby says some pretty strange things, but that is why I like him as a color guy.

Gibson is well prepared too.  A lot of commentators are always talking about the game when they played it and they don't do their homework on current players and teams.  Gibson can do both.  He has some bad days where he sounds  lethargic, but I am sure that's because of his health.  I am a lot more likely to turn the radio off and watch the game when Gibson is on.  

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Gibson is well prepared too.  A lot of commentators are always talking about the game when they played it and they don't do their homework on current players and teams.  Gibson can do both.  He has some bad days where he sounds  lethargic, but I am sure that's because of his health.  I am a lot more likely to turn the radio off and watch the game when Gibson is on.  

You never know when Gibby is going to throw something in that has never occurred to you e.g. his bit on the catcher's shadow.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Right. Unless Mario started the fight, I bet Mario keeps his job and Rod loses his. Rod needs the job more though. I think Mario could find work for a Fox Sports regional station somewhere in the country, even if it's doing college basketball or something. Can't see anyone in the sports world hiring Rod, not even talk radio.

Mario is a short nerd who is about 5'6" tall. Rod is 6'0" and a former athlete. I doubt the physical confrontation started with Sam the Eagle.

Just now, LooseGoose said:

You never know when Gibby is going to throw something in that has never occurred to you e.g. his bit on the catcher's shadow.

yes, he is very bright and perceptive which is not the impression I got when he was a player.  

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

There's really no reason for Rod Allen to have a job.  He's a generation removed. Any retired guy from the '06 team that has dabbled in broadcasting and could do color. How about Todd Jones for example?

Chris Shelton please. 

Just now, Shelton said:

Chris Shelton please. 

Why do you hate groundskeepers who aren't pregnant? 

• Haha 1

How good is VMart's English, I really can't remember listening to him much? Maybe he could slide into that role next season if it's good enough.

So, I wonder what time the altercation was and how quickly Gibson and Shepard had to be whisked into Chicago?

29 minutes ago, PuNk42AE said:

On a Road Trip to Baltimore one time I stayed at the Team Hotel, I was on separate elevators with both Ron and Mario.  Mario was really nice and talkative, Ron gave off the DB vibes and just gave side eye.

Similar story here, but with Gibson back in 2001. My buddy and I were flying to Boston to see the tigers and Gibson was on our flight. We were lined up behind him and my buddy said something to him like “we’re heading to Boston for the tigers, too.” He just grunted “it’s my job” and turned around. 

6 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Why do you hate groundskeepers who aren't pregnant? 

If I recall correctly Mr Shelton prefers non-pregnant groundskeepers so that he can impregnate them. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Craig Monroe seems like the natural choice since he's already employed by FSD and does on field commentary during games. Todd Jones would probably be best at it. Casey and Granderson are probably on to bigger things. Plus I think Casey is more associated with the Reds. If we want more fights in the booth, maybe Dmitri Young. Joel Zumaya seems like he could be a character. 

But Monroe isn't very good. He is alright, not as annoying as Allen just hope for better.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Replace Rod with 97.1's Mike Stone....knows little about baseball, but if the radio show is any indication he would provide solid accounts re the breast sizes of the women in attendance.  "Yeah Mario..that was a great play...how about the rack on that blonde behind third base"

Tiger are not expected to be good for awhile. Might as well.

I mean... neither is coming back until whatever damage the fight did to their face is healed.

I doubt either return to the booth this season. And if Mario didn’t instigate it, he will be back next year.