Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

On 1/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, Keepleyland2 said:

Every organization does this. Why are you all upset about it?

LOL .. I never said I was "upset" about it. 

Just wondered how these Assistants to the GM might (or might not) actually help the team win a World Championship.

Did they have any Assistants to the GM in 84?  ..How about 68?

As far as I am concerned ..they could hire 20 more former Tigers as Assistants to the GM.  But if it does not help them win a World Championship ..then I truly could not care less about their special title.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:28 PM, Tigrrfan said:

Just wondered how these Assistants to the GM might (or might not) actually help the team win a World Championship.

As far as I am concerned ..they could hire 20 more former Tigers as Assistants to the GM.  But if it does not help them win a World Championship ..then I truly could not care less about their special title.

That’s fair. Special assistant appointments are rarely about winning. They’re about honoring their own, and that matters to fans who root mainly with their hearts.

Isn't Pedro an assistant in Boston?  I recall a hubub where he was also being friendly with Houston pitchers and giving them tips.....

I thought it was more of a hullabaloo than a hubub, but I could be wrong about that.

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:58 PM, Chili Mac Davis said:

Can we make the assumption here that they did not make the offer to all ex-Tigers?

I am not sure it is safe for us to make the assumption that all ex-Tigers were not offered a special role in the organization after they retired from playing.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:28 PM, Tigrrfan said:

A) With sacrastic laden posts like "

Oh yes ..indeed!

Gotta take care of Jim Leyland!"

It is reasonable to assume that this irked you in some unreasonable way. 

B)The rest of your stuff in this post is brand new. You never brought that up. All you did was post about the old guys being given the title and then have sarcastic follow ups.

54 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I thought it was more of a hullabaloo than a hubub, but I could be wrong about that.

A brewha I am sure.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The interwebs tells me it is spelled brouhaha

ha! haha!

I often change my posts because I can't spell a word and either spellcheck is of no help or I don't feel like looking it up...

23 hours ago, Oblong said:

I often change my posts because I can't spell a word and either spellcheck is of no help or I don't feel like looking it up...

I fat-finger maybe two-thirds of my posts, so I'm usually going back and changing or correcting a word or two upon re-reading.

Per the Boston Globe, David Dombrowski has brought in Mario to be a part time radio guy with the Red Sox. He will do some games along with a few other part timers.

• Like 1

Good for him. He can watch a quality team rather than a bunch of bums

8 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Mario is awful. The Boston fans will see him as he is.

And he’ll see the Sux fans for who they are.

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Impemba will probably be better without Allen.  

Plus he'll be doing radio. It'll be interesting to see how much his style differs from his TV style.

The story in the News says he's expected to do between 50 and 60 games. I don't know whether that means he'll be co-play by play with Joe Castiglione, or replace Joe when he's out for whatever reaon. I'm guessing the former, because that would a lot of games Joe would be planning to miss this year. Even more than that: there's a third guy, Will Flemming, who's supposed to be handling part-time PxP duties, too. Plus there's a rotating cast of three analysts as well.

Maybe this is something like the talk show format Red Sox radio was rumored to be moving toward this year.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:42 AM, Keepleyland2 said:

A) With sacrastic laden posts like "

Oh yes ..indeed!

Gotta take care of Jim Leyland!"

It is reasonable to assume that this irked you in some unreasonable way. 

B)The rest of your stuff in this post is brand new. You never brought that up. All you did was post about the old guys being given the title and then have sarcastic follow ups.

I used to wonder why my sarcasm always came across as sarcastic. 

Then I discovered Keepleyland at MTS.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The fact that Mario got hired instead of Rod is more proof that the Red Sox organization is racist.

Clearly. 

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

Plus he'll be doing radio. It'll be interesting to see how much his style differs from his TV style.

Yes, that will be interesting.  Radio requires a broadcaster to be more creative and descriptive which I think would be more appealing to a professional.  That doesn't mean he'll be good at it, but i suspect he'll be quite a bit different on the radio.    

Over/under how many times throughout the season Mario brings up the fact that he "got to watch alot of JD while broadcasting for the Tigers"?  I say twenty.