Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

10 hours ago, holygoat said:

Disagreements are fine, but the discourse needs to remain light and entertaining. I don't want to hear Shep sound like a PO'd sports-radio caller when he's in the booth. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

I agree, the debates were fine, but sometimes the tone was a little much.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:59 PM, Tenacious D said:

Update from Shep:

A73E129C-161B-4CDD-9FD5-89E3C4805464.jpeg

Good news! Could have been worse.

21 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Jordan Zimmermann had the same effect on me.  

The 2018 Tiger had the effect on everyone.

19 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Moss is a terrible human being who is not deserving of a discussion.  I am glad I have him blocked on all social media.  

Him and Carlos should get together, they are both just spit out the most controversial statements they can come up with in hopes someone will pay attention to them.

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

I think we started calling them analysts when we realized it sounds a lot like colored guy. I don't care either way, it just always sounds weird to me. Not that calling Rod an "analyst" is any less weird. 

I still call them color guys.  I understand the meaning behind the term and just because it is 'close' to what some people would consider a racial slur does not deter me.  Either way is fine IMO.  Call them analysts or color guys or flavor guys whatever, but yeah calling Rod an 'analyst' is even weirder IMO.

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Him and Carlos should get together, they are both just spit out the most controversial statements they can come up with in hopes someone will pay attention to them.

And it works...every time it works which is why it continues...the ONLY reason it continues or continues enough for random people like me who do not even know who the dude is to see his name.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:37 AM, John_Brian_K said:

I still call them color guys.  I understand the meaning behind the term and just because it is 'close' to what some people would consider a racial slur does not deter me.  Either way is fine IMO.  Call them analysts or color guys or flavor guys whatever, but yeah calling Rod an 'analyst' is even weirder IMO.

It's not that people don't know the term, it's that a slip of the tongue when introducing the "colored analyst" can cost someone a career.

Also, calling someone a "color guy" implies that the PBP person is too boring to hear alone, and cheapens the value of the analyst by saying he's only there to spice up the broadcast.

3 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

Also, calling someone a "color guy" implies that the PBP person is too boring to hear alone, and cheapens the value of the analyst by saying he's only there to spice up the broadcast.

That pretty much describes Impemba and Allen.  

3 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

But it was accurate to say that Mario Impemba was boring and Rod Allen was no analyst.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clark1mt said:

It's not that people don't know the term, it's that a slip of the tongue when introducing the "colored analyst" can cost someone a career.

This is why I still watch a black and white TV.

13 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

This is why I still watch a black and white TV.

Or as they say here in SoCal, negro and blanco.

• Haha 1

1st extended comments I've seen from either.

Rod Allen: Incident with Mario Impemba more like a baseball brawl

Asked to detail the incident, Allen said, “Have you ever seen a baseball brawl where they open up the fences and both teams come running out and then they all merge in the infield? And there’s just a lot of talking and pushing and shoving? That’s basically what happened to us on September 4. There was some not much pushing but more verbal and somehow someway it turned into me chasing him down a hallway and choking him from behind and that’s what the media got a hold of and that’s what went national and I think that’s why both of us got fired.”

Video of interview at link.

No video proof plus out-of-work television personality = spin it and water it down in order to get a new gig. Also blame the media.

Good strategy Rod.

13 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

No video proof plus out-of-work television personality = spin it and water it down in order to get a new gig. Also blame the media.

Good strategy Rod.

Blaming the media is the easy-out for anyone in a controversy nowadays.

I wish Rod and Mario would both go away.

I look forward to the Tigers hiring a new crew so everyone can move on. Gibby will still fill work as many games as his health will allow.

Why yes, Rod, I have seen a baseball brawl.

I saw one where you chased a Japanese pitcher all over the ****ing field while you were out of your mind.

So it seems plausible that you could potentially chase down a guy from behind and choke him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s official and not surprising. 

Should be promoted as a cure for insomnia 

I am just happy Dickerson is staying on radio where he belongs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

It’s official and not surprising. 

Should be promoted as a cure for insomnia 

The plus is that he probably has more personal Tiger and Detroit memory to call on than any other possible candidate. The minus is that his PBP doesn't really do much for me. Still I'm pretty sure that a few months from now I will find myself getting up to turn off the TV sound and find a radio less often than in the past.

The Henning article about this hire is embarrassing. 

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The Henning article about this hire is embarrassing. 

Which one?  The one where he prettt much said it wouldn’t be Shepard?

The Gibby games will be OK.  Shep and Morris will be nearly unbearable.

I need to find a radio station I can get here, last year there were none.

26 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Fact is nobody good wanted this job.  

But Henning says they had great national candidates.