Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

5 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

This would still sound good to me.  I don't know if Fox Sports would want a lead guy with slow southern drawl, but I like it.

I like his unpretentious folksiness. It's not forced.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think he is wearing powder blue loafers.

He was considered a fashion plate at the time.

Honestly.

I recall learning that once, and that he was sort of a celebrity in addition to being a baseball player (and golfer).  I think I can see the loafers now that people have pointed them out.  

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

That national anthem....oh my....

That said, Al's commentary on the 1984 spring training performance was right on in hindsight.

oh my is right.

Al was also right about Minnesota's long term prospects WRT building a team.

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Hire Ray Lane (yes he's still alive) to do PBP and move Al Kaline back to the color spot.  Problem solved -- you're welcome.

They should invite Ray into the booth for a game. I doubt he could handle a full 9 innings but I'd love to hear him talk for a bit.

Oct 9th is Ray lane day in Michigan.

• Like 1

I will exclusively refer to home runs as "fly balls that got over our weak low sad walls, which must be replaced by beautiful steel slats" to reel in the political demographic. 

Further, upon the slightest hint a player wants a new contract or to leave as a free agent I'll describe them solely as mercenary disloyal pigdogs 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I vehemently disagree. I get that it is unfair to compare them to Kaline/Kell but  Rod/Mario were completely inferior to them in every way and should never be mentioned in the same sentence again.

I wasn’t comparing them to Kaline and Kell.  I was more or less comparing them to what’s out there in major-league baseball in general and in relation to what less discriminating tastes may find acceptable. On the occasion when I have watched TV broadcasts of other teams, in the raw basics of tone and describing the game, Mario and Rod seemed OK compared to other team’s announcers, many of whom grate on me more than they did. I am assuming that more casual fans in Detroit found them OK as well. Anyone who posts on this site is in no way shape or form a casual fan.  On my own I found Mario and Rod incredibly dull,  but they didn’t make me want to poke knitting needles into my eyes either. Or ears. 

I think there is plenty of space for a even tempered knowledgeable broadcaster. That’s what I am hoping for. Not some guy who thinks he is auditioning to be the next wacky zany sportscanter host.

I don’t care if they speak with a French Canadian accent.

I thought Impemba/Allen were a terrible broadcasting team mostly because of Allen, but they stayed around a long time because their audience liked them.  You can't please everyone.  

12 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I wasn’t comparing them to Kaline and Kell.  I was more or less comparing them to what’s out there in major-league baseball in general and in relation to what less discriminating tastes may find acceptable. On the occasion when I have watched TV broadcasts of other teams, in the raw basics of tone and describing the game, Mario and Rod seemed OK compared to other team’s announcers, many of whom grate on me more than they did. I am assuming that more casual fans in Detroit found them OK as well. Anyone who posts on this site is in no way shape or form a casual fan.  On my own I found Mario and Rod incredibly dull,  but they didn’t make me want to poke knitting needles into my eyes either. Or ears. 

I agree with this…I never really understood why people disliked them so much.....they were just run of the mill decent TV broadcasters, not nearly as bad as some I've heard.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

I agree with this…I never really understood why people disliked them so much.....they were just run of the mill decent TV broadcasters, not nearly as bad as some I've heard.

I find that most TV broadcasters are not very good.  Too many of them make the game about themselves rather than the play on the field.  In comparison to others, they were probably average.  I found Allen very annoying because he would say the same stupid stuff over and over again and added nothing to the broadcast.  Impemba was nothing special, but not the worst.  He was kind of just there which is OK for a TV broadcaster.  I don't watch games to be entertained by the broadcasters.  Baseball sells itself.  

23 hours ago, Oblong said:

Would today's network people put up with such an obvious southern drawl like George?  I don't know the answer to that.....just asking.

'Here's our upcoming TV sked-yule..'

'The temp-uh-chure today is a brisk 43.....'

“Robin Yunt, the teenage fee-nom, steps to the plate.”

”A bunt—and a gud one ...”

”You are so raht, Al, you are so raht.”

On 1/4/2019 at 8:49 AM, Oblong said:

Wait, what? Did Al Kaline really say that Al Williams, the starting pitcher for the Minnesota Twins in 1984, was stuck in Nicaragua and couldn’t get a visa to get out, so he joined the guerillas for six months before he was able to get out?

Yes, he sure did!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Williams_(baseball) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

That intro music...I remember it!

Totally. In fact, right now it’s a stupid earworm in my head.

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I thought Impemba/Allen were a terrible broadcasting team mostly because of Allen, but they stayed around a long time because their audience liked them.  You can't please everyone.  

I don’t think Mario was good, either. He wasn’t, and isn’t, a baseball guy. He’s a professional announcer whose job in recent years has been working at baseball games. He added no insight into the broadcasts. He merely read off his notes, forced banter with his partner du jour, and did live reads and throws to field reporters. He was the equivalent of a C- student in the booth.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Wait, what? Did Al Kaline really say that Al Williams, the starting pitcher for the Minnesota Twins in 1984, was stuck in Nicaragua and couldn’t get a visa to get out, so  he joined the guerillas for six months before he was able to get out?

Yes, he sure did!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Williams_(baseball) 

Right?  I watched that and was thinking “this is kind of a big deal and you just mentioned it in passing”

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think Mario was good, either. He wasn’t, and isn’t, a baseball guy. He’s a professional announcer whose job in recent years has been working at baseball games. He added no insight into the broadcasts. He merely read off his notes, forced banter with his partner du jour, and did live reads and throws to field reporters. He was the equivalent of a C- student in the booth.

When he was with someone other than Allen he was better.  I think Mario is a pro and could easily step in to any job in any sport and be competent. He sounds like any other broadcaster.  That’s not a criticism.  That’s how the TV people like it now. 

Rod Allen was super annoying.  It always seemed like he was talking down to the viewers.

And the worst thing was the pitch by pitch recap.  

Mario, while not the greatest, at least wasn't grating to listen to.  I don't blame him though, I think Allen would have been tough to work with.

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Totally. In fact, right now it’s a stupid earworm in my head.

Don't fret - it'll soon starve.

😉

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

Don't fret - it'll soon starve.

😉

You threw in a winky wink. You’re losing your edge. 😁

Too many play by play guys seem to have been produced in broadcaster factories and possess just the basic knowledge of the sport they are calling. And are evaluated on their grammar and diction, not their personality. The retired baseball players that have the ability and training to become a PBP announcer is disappearing. I suspect that those who could do it aren't give the opportunity.

The ability to spin a tale like the 1950's minor leaguer who was called up to cover for an injured starter.  But he missed the game because his cab was in an accident, only to never be recalled again is not there.

The Red Wings play by play guy can do that. Not many in baseball can.

45 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Right?  I watched that and was thinking “this is kind of a big deal and you just mentioned it in passing”

Bizarre. But if he had been with the Sandinistas before Samoza fell, it probably wasn't as controversial. Before Reagan's election, Samoza had lost US support.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

When he was with someone other than Allen he was better.  I think Mario is a pro and could easily step in to any job in any sport and be competent. He sounds like any other broadcaster.  That’s not a criticism.  That’s how the TV people like it now. 

I agree with this.  I didn't have a problem with Mario.  It's just that he didn't have anything special in him that separated him from any other average announcer.  I did not like Rod Allen at all.  He was just flat out annoying.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I agree with this.  I didn't have a problem with Mario.  It's just that he didn't have anything special in him that separated him from any other average announcer.  I did not like Rod Allen at all.  He was just flat out annoying.  

pretty much this. Who knows how differently either of them might have evolved if either of them had spent 15 yrs working with someone they actually liked to talk to, but at this point it is what it is (was!).

Put the blame for a stunted broadcast on Fox for trying to force these guys into a 'team'  when they should have been able to figure out they would never be one.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

If a personality-bereft cipher like Mario Impemba, someone who adds literally no value to a broadcast, who just regurgitates media notes and live reads and inane off-topic banter, can be seen as an acceptable major league play by play announcer, then really, there's no hope for major league play by play announcing, at least on television.

At least Rod Allen made us feel something.