Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I heard Mario found the severe buggy whip that Jim Price is always talking about.

He hit him like he stole something.  

Remember when they did the Dickerson to TV and Impemba to radio swaps?  I wonder if part of that was to alleviate tension in the television booth.  Probably didn't factor in it at all, but who knows.

20 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I met him several times while he was playing and he was always very friendly and engaging. Great guy. 

Did he share his peanut butter knife?  

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Remember when they did the Dickerson to TV and Impemba to radio swaps?  I wonder if part of that was to alleviate tension in the television booth.  Probably didn't factor in it at all, but who knows.

They probably found out that Dickerson couldn't stand Allen either.  

25 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I can see pulling the plug on both.  Temporarily suspended to end the season and then permanently replaced in the offseason.

In the meantime, where are Frank Beckmann and Lary Sorensen to finish the season?

Jim Brandstatter is available to do the Sunday games.

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Jim Brandstatter is available to do the Sunday games.

too soon?

11 minutes ago, apabruce said:

I'm trying to imagine two 50+ guys getting into a "severe altercation" where alcohol is not involved.  Who throws his back out first?

I think severe in this case means more than verbal.

Also the free press should know better. Altercation is cop talk, how about argument or fight

51 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

There's really no reason for Rod Allen to have a job.  He's a generation removed. Any retired guy from the '06 team that has dabbled in broadcasting and could do color. How about Todd Jones for example?

Craig Monroe seems like the natural choice since he's already employed by FSD and does on field commentary during games. Todd Jones would probably be best at it. Casey and Granderson are probably on to bigger things. Plus I think Casey is more associated with the Reds. If we want more fights in the booth, maybe Dmitri Young. Joel Zumaya seems like he could be a character. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Craig Monroe seems like the natural choice since he's already employed by FSD and does on field commentary during games. Todd Jones would probably be best at it. Casey and Granderson are probably on to bigger things. Plus I think Casey is more associated with the Reds. If we want more fights in the booth, 

What's Robert fick doing nowadays?

Curtis Granderson is still playing.  Is he retiring after this season?  Seems like he has a couple more seasons in him.

Isn't Sean Casey employed with MLB Network?  

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Craig Monroe seems like the natural choice since he's already employed by FSD and does on field commentary during games. 

This would be a horrible solution.   Monroe's voice has some sort of whiny quality to it that drives me up a wall.   I'd take Rod and Mario in separate booths before that.

1 hour ago, irvink said:

I occasionally find Rod amusing. I think Mario is as bland and as boring as they come. There are only so many national TV jobs. The Tigers have a good audience/following. They can and should do better. Hopefully, this does it and they are done with both of them. 

As long as they don't replace Mario with Joe Buck.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The play by play guy is SUPPOSED to be bland when they have a color guy in the booth.  Mario does just fine.

Hey now! Watch it!

19 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

This would be a horrible solution.   Monroe's voice has some sort of whiny quality to it that drives me up a wall.   I'd take Rod and Mario in separate booths before that.

Yeah I like Monroe...seems like a cool dude I could hang with, but man he is not good at announcing.  Although he is 100x better than he used to be.

1 minute ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Hey now! Watch it!

I KNEW someone was going to do that...as I was writing it I almost changed 'Color guy' to 'another guy', but F that,...color guy is what it is called ffs!  lol

3 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Hey now! Watch it!

"our doug is a white"

• Like 1

Monroe is Allen lite as a broadcaster.  I wouldn't want to see him on there regularly.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I like bland and boring if the alternative is loud and obnoxious. And in listening to other people that do it, loud and obnoxious seems to be par for the course. 

They should hire Dan hasty. 

Bland and boring was being kind. He's such a cheeseball, I find myself constantly cringing at what comes out of his mouth until I inevitable turn the volume off. 

Replace Rod with 97.1's Mike Stone....knows little about baseball, but if the radio show is any indication he would provide solid accounts re the breast sizes of the women in attendance.  "Yeah Mario..that was a great play...how about the rack on that blonde behind third base"

10 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I KNEW someone was going to do that...as I was writing it I almost changed 'Color guy' to 'another guy', but F that,...color guy is what it is called ffs!  lol

They are usually called analysts now, although that term hardly applies to Allen.  

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They are usually called analysts now, although that term hardly applies to Allen.  

Are they really?  I still hear them referred to as color commentators.  When I hear analysts in terms of baseball I think about certain coaches on the team or baseball show guys.

About 10 or so years ago a supposed former FSD cameraman was on the same pool league as me. He told me then that them two didn't like each other and he didn't expect them to work together much longer. 

I kinda took it as a grain of salt cause I didn't even know if the guy really worked for FSD.  Maybe he wasnt making it up after all. 

I think the person was just trolling Craig Calcaterra.

I also note the name was misspelled (Rob Allen instead of Rod Allen).

4 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Are they really?  I still hear them referred to as color commentators.  When I hear analysts in terms of baseball I think about certain coaches on the team or baseball show guys.

I admit I don't watch as much baseball on TV now (partly because I like Dickerson a lot better than the TV guys), so I don't know what they call them there.  I usually see the term analyst on the internet when referring to the other guy in the booth.