Jump to content

Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Perhaps if the team is going to be flat and go through the motions this year, the TV booth might as well.

They are not going to be flat and go through the motions.  Gardenhire won't allow that.  They are going to grind and compete all year.  He is going to show them how to win.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Short term solution. If the Illitiches (plus Pistons) are serious about starting their own sports network. 

That combined with Disney buying Fox and possibly divesting of their sports network. Maybe no one is willing to commit to anything long term until the dust settles.

That's not a hot enough take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

That seems awfully short sighted.

Does it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

It might suggest Detroit isn't the destination sports market for broadcasters we thought it was.

You may well be right, although that may be less about Detroit as a baseball town and more about what Fox wants to accomplish with the hire.

I'd think that practically any top tier talent who would consider an everyday major league play by play gig would love to come to a baseball town with a great legacy and a big built-in audience, like Detroit—in theory. But if Fox is known to be looking mainly for a cross-promotional pitch man and is comping the gig consistent with that, then I could see top talent reluctantly declining to throw their hat into the ring.

I don't know that Fox is going in that direction, but based on what I know about Fox as an RSN in general, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Even if this is the case, that might all change if/when the Tigers move to create their own RSN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hire me, I'll spend the entire broadcast talking about how bad everyone is and subtly suggesting they need to get on the juice 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just say whether or not each pitch results in a dinger. That’s all we need to know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

You may well be right, although that may be less about Detroit as a baseball town and more about what Fox wants to accomplish with the hire.

I'd think that practically any top tier talent who would consider an everyday major league play by play gig would love to come to a baseball town with a great legacy and a big built-in audience, like Detroit—in theory. But if Fox is known to be looking mainly for a cross-promotional pitch man and is comping the gig consistent with that, then I could see top talent reluctantly declining to throw their hat into the ring.

I don't know that Fox is going in that direction, but based on what I know about Fox as an RSN in general, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Even if this is the case, that might all change if/when the Tigers move to create their own RSN.

I think the agreement between the tigers and FSD gives the tigers a lot of say on who is in the broadcast booth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oblong said:

Henning with a tweet last night suggesting that it's looking like the color gig will go to Gibby with Morris/Petry willing in as needed.

 

meh

If Matt Shepard gets the Play by play job I may finally look into cutting the cord.  

They're probably still looking for someone that has adequate "hanging around the batting cage" experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever they get won't be as good as Mario to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think the agreement between the tigers and FSD gives the tigers a lot of say on who is in the broadcast booth. 

Probably, and I'd bet that the Tigers won't be opposed to an announcer who's a good cross-promotional pitchman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Whoever they get won't be as good as Mario to be honest.

Because in my opinion there is no one as bad as Mario, I honestly disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Probably, and I'd bet that the Tigers won't be opposed to an announcer who's a good cross-promotional pitchman.

I’m sure they would not be opposed to that. But I think their primary concern is getting a guy who is good at the job and will help keep people interested in the on field product (as poor as it may be). The TV announcer is an important part of the product the tigers are selling. 

It’s an interesting situation, at least to me. I think that Dickerson and Price are employees of the tigers, technically, and the tv broadcasters are technically employees of FSD. But I think the tigers are still the people that decide who FSD gets to send out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way, I'll put a dollar on Matt Shepard against your dime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Either way, I'll put a dollar on Matt Shepard against your dime.

Yeah, unfortunately. 

On the bright side, it’s unlikely I’ll be tuning in much this year anyway. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I would talk about round trippers.  

Anachronism. They are now "dingers", "taters", "bombs", or "big flies". With the bases loaded, they are now "grand salamis". Get with the times, gramps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shelton said:

Yeah, unfortunately. 

On the bright side, it’s unlikely I’ll be tuning in much this year anyway. 

Me, I'll do the radio overlay, just to hear Dan.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m sure they would not be opposed to that. But I think their primary concern is getting a guy who is good at the job and will help keep people interested in the on field product (as poor as it may be). The TV announcer is an important part of the product the tigers are selling. 

It’s an interesting situation, at least to me. I think that Dickerson and Price are employees of the tigers, technically, and the tv broadcasters are technically employees of FSD. But I think the tigers are still the people that decide who FSD gets to send out there. 

Regarding employment.... I'm sure the decision is mutal between FSD and the Tigers but the Tigers have a greater weight of input.  If they really didn't want someone there they'd not be there and if they really wanted someone, they'd be the pick.  Not sure how it works for the Tigers but I did read that Ken Daniels, for the Wings, was an independent contractor, so maybe that's the same for the Tigers TV guys too.  Not technically employees.

The Pistons used to just buy the time slot from FSD and produced their own coverage. That's why you'd see a brief thing before hand where Ken Calvert said "The following is a Palace Entertainment Production" or something like that.  An infomercial if you will.  This wasn't that long ago.

I wonder how that works when Dickerson goes to the TV booth?  Does he sign a one day contract with FSD?  Or have his own LLC and he invoices them?  Does his pay for radio work get docked?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Anachronism. They are now "dingers", "taters", "bombs", or "big flies". With the bases loaded, they are now "grand salamis". Get with the times, gramps.

Bombs are OK.  I would never ever refer to a home run as a dinger or a big fly.  Dinger sounds like something you get with an aluminum bat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other terms that are OK to use:

Homer

Blast

Wallop

Shot

Moon shot

Cannon shot

Ruthian blast

Four bagger

Four-base hit

Circuit clout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Because in my opinion there is no one as bad as Mario, I honestly disagree.

Matt Shepard is worse.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Because in my opinion there is no one as bad as Mario, I honestly disagree.

 

ken-harrelson.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Other terms that are OK to use:

Homer

Blast

Wallop

Shot

Moon shot

Cannon shot

Ruthian blast

Four bagger

Four-base hit

Circuit clout

Quadruple 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tigers hit the least amount of home runs in the AL last year, so you can probably give each one a unique name.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Does it?

To me, yes. I cannot recall a recent time when they formed a broadcast team to be a temporary thing. Lary Sorenson forced their hand as quite possibly did the fan outcry over the firing of Ernie.

Recent history suggests that, despite how terrible any broadcaster is perceived by the fans, they're not in a hurry to make changes. How many years were we subjected to Jim Price doing PBP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×