Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

A simulcast probably wouldn’t be economically feasible at this point given the proliferation of in game promotional items.  Do the same companies sponsor things like strikeouts and double plays and all that between TV and radio?  I’m not against it as a fan but suspect there’s logistical problems with doing it. 

The Bad Boys pistons era had games simulcast all the time if not all the time. 

I can almost see Blaha with two mikes, cutting back and forth and doing separate TV and radio announcements on the fly! If anyone could, it would be him.....🤣

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 7:11 PM, cruzer1 said:

It just occurred to me that the perfect color analyst would be Brad Ausmus, if he doesn't get a mgr job. I don't know who I would select to match him with. I like Dickerson on radio.

saved by the Angels!

Next on my list would be Alex Avila. If he's ok with moving on, he would be a natural on TV imo.

Granderson would be my perfect choice for analyst but I'm sure he still plans on playing longer not to mention I wouldnt be surprised if he got scooped up by an ESPN or Fox when he's done playing. 

6 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Next on my list would be Alex Avila. If he's ok with moving on, he would be a natural on TV imo.

that's an interesting idea. Alex has sort of a dry wit - might be pretty entertaining.  But Al would probably veto it....

If Brad Daugherty can do NASCAR then he can do MLB and the Tigers... amiright?

You guys are forgetting the obvious choice. Deuce would be great.  He'd be lazy and unprepared,  but who cares?  His stories would be a lot better than Rod Allen and he would certainly increase the viewership of a certain demographic.  His price might be a little higher that the Tigers are willing to go though.  Plus, they would have to find a partner that was willing to put up with his smoking.  And you'd need a back-up in case he didn't feel like showing up some nights.  

• Haha 1

The price may  not be as high as you think.  He gets free transportation and lodging in all these other cities.  Making a 'face' appearance in KC or Minneapolis is worth it's weight in gold.  He knows their skimming off the top.   Knowing he can be there a few times a season, often for multiple days, helps curtail that ****.

16 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Plus, they would have to find a partner that was willing to put up with his smoking. 

Jim Leyland

1 minute ago, Tigrrfan said:

Jim Leyland

Leyland and Deuce would be perfect.  Can you imagine how cool that would be?  They could lose 100 games a year for the next five years and still break records for ratings.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Leyland and Deuce would be perfect.  Can you imagine how cool that would be?  They could lose 100 games a year for the next five years and still break records for ratings.  

They'd have to increase the tape delay if they put Leyland on a mike.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That was a horse **** play by Nick right there.  No excuse for that.  

19 hours ago, thefunk said:

Fully in the camp of putting the radio broadcast on the television airwaves.  Please.

As much as I'd love this, there's zero chance of it happening, if for no other reason than Fox expects in-game live reads cross-promoting other programming from its PxP guy, and the only they could get away with that on radio is if it's a Fox Sports radio station as well, and the Ticket is a CBS station.

I use a radio overlay of Dan and Jim over the TV video. Works beautifully.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As much as I'd love this, there's zero chance of it happening, if for no other reason than Fox expects in-game live reads cross-promoting other programming from its PxP guy, and the only they could get away with that on radio is if it's a Fox Sports radio station as well, and the Ticket is a CBS station.

I use a radio overlay of Dan and Jim over the TV video. Works beautifully.

I do that a lot also, but in the digital world,  the buffering on the various feeds from the same  source sometimes gets unacceptably out of sync. Breaking and remaking links will usually fix it, but not always.

What I find really odd is when the over the air radio feed, which should be live other than the 7 second loop, gets *ahead* of the video coming down the IP line. I have a hard time understanding how that can happen but it does. Even the analog radio broadcast must also have buffered IP links somewhere in the chain today.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

"Cause he talks with his mouth full. Disgusting. We don't need to see what's in  your mouth, Jim.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:01 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

I do that a lot also, but in the digital world,  the buffering on the various feeds from the same  source sometimes gets unacceptably out of sync. Breaking and remaking links will usually fix it, but not always.

What I find really odd is when the over the air radio feed, which should be live other than the 7 second loop, gets *ahead* of the video coming down the IP line. I have a hard time understanding how that can happen but it does. Even the analog radio broadcast must also have buffered IP links somewhere in the chain today.

It's probably that it takes a lot longer to encode a video feed for transmission, then decode it for broadcast.  Especially with the ever-increasing picture size.

47 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

It's probably that it takes a lot longer to encode a video feed for transmission, then decode it for broadcast.  Especially with the ever-increasing picture size.

actually, looking back I wrote that backward , I meant the opposite. Sometimes my feed from ATT gets ahead of Dan and Jim on XYT. It's not that hard to figure, the link from the booth the the xmitter or even the processing immediately outside the booth is probably IP now so a delay can arise pretty much anywhere.. It's just sort of disorienting when in your head, you still think of radio as a direct real time analog system.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

actually, looking back I wrote that backward , I meant the opposite. Sometimes my feed from ATT gets ahead of Dan and Jim on XYT. It's not that hard to figure, the link from the booth the the xmitter or even the processing immediately outside the booth is probably IP now so a delay can arise pretty much anywhere.. It's just sort of disorienting when in your head, you still think of radio as a direct real time analog system.

Yeah, I recall in the past that umich would sell little radio receivers at the stadium on game days so you could hear the call in real time. I don’t know what frequency it was on, but i don’t think the things were adjustable. And just a few years ago they did something where the broadcast went out directly from the stadium on Wtka or whatever station has the game so you could just use any old radio. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't know how things like ownership of content and broadcasting rights affect where things go before they make it to air.  It's possible that MLB makes WXYT send them the feed first, then "sells" it back to them for broadcast.  Or that because WXYT streams their station online, it takes extra steps to make sure WXYT doesn't let the game get to the stream, which MLB forbids.

All in all, the digital lockdown MLB requires on their content might slow things down.

• Like 1

While pondering my frustration of having to hear Spielman call the Lions game again, I got thinking about the Tigers next year. The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of moving Dickerson to TV. He'd be an absolute star amongst PBP guys. Great voice, personality, and enthusiasm and he'd be one of the few BPB guys who truly embraces analytics. To me, that's what sets him apart. No more old guys stuck in the past.

He's exactly what MLB needs representing their game.