Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

29 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

really makes you appreciate Dan D all the more.

The best part of the DD / Price combo is the two seem to genuinely like one another.

• Like 3

Wasn't it in major league 2 when the injuns start fighting each other when harry doyle says something like hey they are showing signs of life for the first time in a month?

I occasionally find Rod amusing. I think Mario is as bland and as boring as they come. There are only so many national TV jobs. The Tigers have a good audience/following. They can and should do better. Hopefully, this does it and they are done with both of them. 

6 minutes ago, irvink said:

I occasionally find Rod amusing. I think Mario is as bland and as boring as they come. There are only so many national TV jobs. The Tigers have a good audience/following. They can and should do better. Hopefully, this does it and they are done with both of them. 

I like bland and boring if the alternative is loud and obnoxious. And in listening to other people that do it, loud and obnoxious seems to be par for the course. 

They should hire Dan hasty. 

They should not have any announcers. Give us the authentic ballpark experience. Also, put a live mic on a random fan every game 

2 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Also, put a live mic on a random fan every game 

God no. It's already terrible enough when the mic picks up the guy behind home plate

20 minutes ago, irvink said:

I'll take bland and boring in the play by play person.  This is especially true with a 162 game baseball season.

I love Gus Johnson in small doses but he would wear on me over a long season. 

Honestly Rod is much more tolerable this year when we get some Gibby games to break up his schtick.  

6 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

They should not have any announcers. Give us the authentic ballpark experience. Also, put a live mic on a random fan every game 

No.  Give the live mic to Deuce and clear the women and children out of the room.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

God no. It's already terrible enough when the mic picks up the guy behind home plate

He is still better than the singing hot dog vendor.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

No.  Give the live mic to Deuce and clear the women and children out of the room.

Or watch the women come in the room

There's really no reason for Rod Allen to have a job.  He's a generation removed. Any retired guy from the '06 team that has dabbled in broadcasting and could do color. How about Todd Jones for example?

Can't wait for the ESPN segment discussing how this incident transcends sports and is symbolic of the racial tensions in the country.

• Like 4

I can see pulling the plug on both.  Temporarily suspended to end the season and then permanently replaced in the offseason.

In the meantime, where are Frank Beckmann and Lary Sorensen to finish the season?

12 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

There's really no reason for Rod Allen to have a job.  He's a generation removed. Any retired guy from the '06 team that has dabbled in broadcasting and could do color. How about Todd Jones for example?

I like Todd.  He’s fun.  I get the feeling that he’s a fan as much as he is a player and that’s less common then we might think. 

• Like 1

Gregg Jefferies. He did an impromptu visit in the booth many moons ago and he did a really good job. Plus professional hitter.

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

I like Todd.  He’s fun.  I get the feeling that he’s a fan as much as he is a player and that’s less common then we might think. 

I met him several times while he was playing and he was always very friendly and engaging. Great guy. 

• Like 1

I’d like to know who got the worst of it and who was the most aggressive.  Not that I revel in our cultural embrace of violence in general,  but in this particular case I would like to reach for people magazine and see what really happened. 

1 minute ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I met him several times while he was playing and he was always very friendly and engaging. Great guy. 

From the few things I’ve read about him, I’ve gotten the impression that Todd Jones knows what the team means to people.  He wasn’t a guy who just showed up and played for whatever team had hired him.  That he knew there was more going on which is the kind of thing that brings us to this site.  

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Gregg Jefferies. He did an impromptu visit in the booth many moons ago and he did a really good job. Plus professional hitter.

Shannon would tune in.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I'll take bland and boring in the play by play person.  This is especially true with a 162 game baseball season.

I love Gus Johnson in small doses but he would wear on me over a long season. 

Honestly Rod is much more tolerable this year when we get some Gibby games to break up his schtick.  

The play by play guy is SUPPOSED to be bland when they have a color guy in the booth.  Mario does just fine.

I'm trying to imagine two 50+ guys getting into a "severe altercation" where alcohol is not involved.  Who throws his back out first?

• Like 1