Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

33 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I really enjoyed Dan Dickerson on tv.  I hope they make that permanent.  

I like where your head is at.

You could easily bring Mario back to radio with Jim.  Casual fans don’t listen.  I’d be fine with pairing him with Jim, though I’d like to see Jim go. 

TV lineup can be Dickerson with some ex-Tigers rotating as color, including Gibby and Morris.  Would be nice to find another guy that is a bit more current from the 2006-2012  teams.  Just no C-Mo.  

I guess I just don't see much difference with Dickerson. Most all play by play guys seem the same to me. I'm guessing they simply won't renew Mario's contract. Dickerson will probably get TV job. They can probably get someone from the 2006 team. Maybe Nate Robertson? Casey and Granderson are probably more poised for national gigs. 

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

You could easily bring Mario back to radio with Jim.  Casual fans don’t listen.  I’d be fine with pairing him with Jim, though I’d like to see Jim go. 

I don’t like the idea. Mario is not a baseball guy, and radio is for more ardent, more interested baseball fans. 

I see no reason to preserve Mario Impenba’s association with the team at all costs. 

Matt Shepherd has had two home runs called back because they weren't hit far enough.   ...learning how to make a home run call. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

My problem with Mario is less his lack of personableness (personability?), or his perceived homerism, as with his inability to provide any actual baseball insights during the broadcast.

Everything Mario says about the actual game in progress is either a basic description of the pitch or play that just happened; a reciting of the batting or pitching line the player has achieved during the game thus far; or a snippet from the media notes about the team or the player in question. Practically everything else Mario says during the broadcast is either a live read promotion, a throw to the field or studio announcers, or a forced attempt at banter. I don't fault him for the live reads or throws or even the attempted banter, but the bare bones description-only nature of his game commentary is where he really lacks. Mario apparently neither talks to the players, like Jim or Rod, nor digs into the numbers, like Dan, which leaves only the dry recitation of what he sees in front of him or reads from his notes. Mario's perfectly competent, technically, but I get no sense that he's at all engaged with the game going on in front of him.

tl;dr, Mario is not a baseball guy so much as he's a professional announcer. I'd prefer an announcer behind the mike who's also a baseball guy. 

I think this is a fair take

You need to be bigger than the job to survive this. Mario is a minnow. 

Shep is horrible.  Couldn’t stand him on sports talk radio, which I can avoid.

If he’s in the mix on a more permanent basis, I might have to become an Indians fan.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

If he’s in the mix on a more permanent basis, I might have to become an Indians fan.

Cool.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Oh no please don’t go wait stop noooooooo

57 minutes ago, irvink said:

You need to be bigger than the job to survive this. Mario is a minnow. 

Way too much credit.  He may not even qualify as plankton.

• Haha 1

I caught part of Shep and Gibbs this afternoon. Had a nice nap.

That’s all I ask from a broadcast team

5 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

I caught part of Shep and Gibbs this afternoon. Had a nice nap.

That’s all I ask from a broadcast team

Naps are good for rallies.  

I would be surprised if either Rod or Mario is back.  I think the Tigers will search for a new team.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

I would be surprised if either Rod or Mario is back.  I think the Tigers will search for a new team.

I don't think they can bring either one back without it being more of an embarrassment for FSD and the Tigers.

8 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Yes.  Can't bring the white guy back by himself.  Can't bring Rod back because he's portrayed as the violent aggressor, no matter how provoked he was.  I suspect that he was indeed provoked and that Mario is a passive-aggressive little ****, but I have no way of knowing that of course.  They're both gone, they'll be thanked for their service and they'll both be "pursuing new opportunities" which is corp-speak for "fired". 

9 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Can't bring the white guy back by himself.  

Why not?  

24 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Why not?  

Don't know the facts but it's easy to come up with a scenario. Let's say Mario shares the blame for the incident and they brought only him back, they could leave themselves open to an easy lawsuit. I guess they have some defense since their contracts were up anyway, but would you take the risk when they weren't that good anyway?

I suspect Mario and Rod are already discussing potential lawsuits with their respective lawyers.