Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Dan Dickerson has a credible claim to being the best radio PxP guy in the game right now.

He and Gibby were quite good tonight on the FSD telecast. At least, IMO.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Dickerson is arguably the best TV play-by-play man I have heard the Tigers use.

Dan can do either well. though I think Dickerson would be somewhat 'wasted' on TV - you just don't need that kind of PBP work on a video. For instance, when Dan verbally paints a batter's stance in the box - you just are not going to do that on a video broadcast - it would be kind of dumb. This is also why I think simulcasting just isn't done anymore - the requirements for good radio and TV PBP are too different - particularly the need on the TV broadcast to break down a replay - that would just be frustrating to hear all the time on the radio.

• Like 1

I like Dan better on radio than TV, although I also like Dan on TV more than anyone else on TV.

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

looong gone was never his homerun call when I was a kid listening to every game on the radio.  He would always say "it may be" followed by "it is!...a Tiger home run".  I don't remember the exact words, but I remember "it may be" was his home run signal, although once in a while it would be caught which made me angry.  And he definitely increased the use of his sayings later in his career.  I was never sure whether they asked him to do that or whether he did it on his own.  

I also remember he never referred to Michigan and Trumbull as ”The Corner” until at least the 90s.

2 hours ago, jbhappy said:

it's still great. it's too bad it's not still on all platforms, but Roku has it, so I'm happy.

As does Apple TV, starting this year, which I like because I can use my DTV remote to control that platform, and Roku won’t allow that.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

He and Gibby were quite good tonight on the FSD telecast. At least, IMO.

I could see why Dan would take the TV job if it were offered, but I hope he stays on radio.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Do you think Jim Price basically carried Ernie? As in, Ernie wasn’t cutting it anymore and needed Jim to bail him out? That’s what my friend was suggesting. 

Without listening I again I can’t say.  But Jim did at one time act as PBP guy on PASS or UPN/50 I believe.  I want to say that Northrop was the color guy.  Maybe not.  I think Jim is our longest running guy now outside of Blaha. 

I honestly don’t get the Mario hate.  He sounds like every other guy out there. Even other sports.  

I agree.

Mario might be the most average sounding announcer if you plotted a space with all major sports teams PBP announcers that had one axis measuring excitability and another axis measuring homerism.

16 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Without listening I again I can’t say.  But Jim did at one time act as PBP guy on PASS or UPN/50 I believe.  I want to say that Northrop was the color guy.  Maybe not.  I think Jim is our longest running guy now outside of Blaha. 

I honestly don’t get the Mario hate.  He sounds like every other guy out there. Even other sports.  

To me the biggest problem with Mario is how unpersonable he is, but I'm sure a lot of that goes back to working with someone he has no good personal relationship with. I think the broadcasts with Gibson and Morris have shown that Mario is much less the cold fish in the booth when anyone other than Rod is there, which is why I've been amazed at the Tiger's/Fox's insistence on keeping them together all these years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, holygoat said:

I'm not a big fan of Shep; he can get irritable over disagreements, and it's not fun to listen to.

That's a fair point.  I wonder if this would spill over from his radio show, where he is the "expert" in back and forth exchanges with callers, to the game broadcasts, where he isn't necessarily able to trump Gibson or whomever the analyst is.

10 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Anyone listen to the radio broadcast?

The Erie Sea Wolves announcer Greg Gania was teamed up with Jim Price.

He did pretty good.

:alien:

I figured Price might have been taking the game off to spend time with the '68 crew.

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

To me the biggest problem with Mario is how unpersonable he is, but I'm sure a lot of that goes back to working with someone he has no good personal relationship with. I think the broadcasts with Gibson and Morris have shown that Mario is much less the cold fish in the booth when anyone other than Rod is there, which is why I've been amazed at the Tiger's/Fox's insistence on keeping them together all these years.

Yes, it does seem he has more life during broadcasts with Gibson.

52 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yes, it does seem he has more life during broadcasts with Gibson.

I remember noticing that when they started mixing up the booth. Mario was more personable. 

Another question: are the Tigers relieved that they don't have to invite Rod Allen to the 84 reunions anymore so they don't have to pretend he was a viable piece on that team?

That said, if they bring Mario back, most people will have forgotten, or won't care, about the incident. 

I've disliked Rod since he started and am glad he's gone. 

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Another question: are the Tigers relieved that they don't have to invite Rod Allen to the 84 reunions anymore so they don't have to pretend he was a viable piece on that team?

H8r.

1 minute ago, Biff Mayhem said:

That said, if they bring Mario back, most people will have forgotten, or won't care, about the incident.

I don't necessarily agree that it will be forgotten.  But I think part of that might rely on what kind of details surface about the encounter.  If it comes out that Impemba was being a jerk or egging him on, or did something specific with a chair or whatever, people aren't going to necessarily forget.

My problem with Mario is less his lack of personableness (personability?), or his perceived homerism, as with his inability to provide any actual baseball insights during the broadcast.

Everything Mario says about the actual game in progress is either a basic description of the pitch or play that just happened; a reciting of the batting or pitching line the player has achieved during the game thus far; or a snippet from the media notes about the team or the player in question. Practically everything else Mario says during the broadcast is either a live read promotion, a throw to the field or studio announcers, or a forced attempt at banter. I don't fault him for the live reads or throws or even the attempted banter, but the bare bones description-only nature of his game commentary is where he really lacks. Mario apparently neither talks to the players, like Jim or Rod, nor digs into the numbers, like Dan, which leaves only the dry recitation of what he sees in front of him or reads from his notes. Mario's perfectly competent, technically, but I get no sense that he's at all engaged with the game going on in front of him.

tl;dr, Mario is not a baseball guy so much as he's a professional announcer. I'd prefer an announcer behind the mike who's also a baseball guy. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't necessarily agree that it will be forgotten.  But I think part of that might rely on what kind of details surface about the encounter.  If it comes out that Impemba was being a jerk or egging him on, or did something specific with a chair or whatever, people aren't going to necessarily forget.

I agree with this, and I also think Fox simply won't want the stink of controversy coming off Mario. They want viewers to pay attention to the game for its promotional elements, not for the peculiarities and controversies surrounding their announcers. That's why they hire and retain Marios in the first place, and his experience behind the mike for the Tigers notwithstanding, Marios are a dime a dozen out on the TV baseball broadcaster market. Viewers of Tiger telecasts will forget Mario the person when he's gone way faster than they would the Mario incident were he on camera in front of them.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I agree.  This idea that fans couldn't forget the incident and it would be distracting is overstated to a large amount.  People forget about stuff like this pretty quickly.

Whether or not they should bring him back is another question.

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

My problem with Mario is less his lack of personableness (personability?), or his perceived homerism, as with his inability to provide any actual baseball insights during the broadcast.

Everything Mario says about the actual game in progress is either a basic description of the pitch or play that just happened; a reciting of the batting or pitching line the player has achieved during the game thus far; or a snippet from the media notes about the team or the player in question. Practically everything else Mario says during the broadcast is either a live read promotion, a throw to the field or studio announcers, or a forced attempt at banter. I don't fault him for the live reads or throws or even the attempted banter, but the bare bones description-only nature of his game commentary is where he really lacks. Mario apparently neither talks to the players, like Jim or Rod, nor digs into the numbers, like Dan, which leaves only the dry recitation of what he sees in front of him or reads from his notes. Mario's perfectly competent, technically, but I get no sense that he's at all engaged with the game going on in front of him.

tl;dr, Mario is not a baseball guy so much as he's a professional announcer. I'd prefer an announcer behind the mike who's also a baseball guy. 

You are right. Mario could leave the game and drive to Oakland University and call the basketball game flawlessly then the next off day go do a hockey game. He’s an announcer who happens to have a baseball gig as his primary job. 

But I assume that’s what TV people want. A diehard info driven performance like DD gives us is suited for radio as I imagine the demographics indicate that’s what radio audiences want. 

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

You are right. Mario could leave the game and drive to Oakland University and call the basketball game flawlessly then the next off day go do a hockey game. He’s an announcer who happens to have a baseball gig as his primary job. 

But I assume that’s what TV people want. A diehard info driven performance like DD gives us is suited for radio as I imagine the demographics indicate that’s what radio audiences want. 

I agree. The TV people prefer to hire announcers who are interchangeable with other announcers, for continuity's sake. Strong personalities undermine that strategy and can lead to guys like Hawk Harrelson.

Radio's lack of visuals requires more description, which lends itself to the revealing of more of an announcer's personality, which might explain why all the greatest baseball broadcasters in history were primarily radio guys. But I like how Dan takes it a step further and uses data in a summary way to put across the important aspects of the game that the listener should be focusing on. That's a gift that Dan has, and it's a gift to Tiger fans that we have Dan doing our radio.

24 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

It would be a PR mistake to only bring back the white guy. 

Exactly.  According to media accounts ..in this instance it apparently took two to create this tangle ..and thus, cannot fire only the black guy and bring back the white guy.  Especially not in Detroit.  Beyond that ..maybe they could bring a male and a female in to replace them.

Male and female is too cisgendered...they need to bring in two people who view baseball as a means to achieve social justice.

If you thought Rod and Mario were insufferable....