Lei Pong

Fist City: population...Rod and Mario

Per the Athletic....the two got into a physical altercation before last night's game.  Apparently...Sheppard and Gibby  did the game.  (I did not watch the game so I don't know).  They were sent home on different flights

Someone mentioned in yesterday’s game thread that they seemed particularly at odds during wednesday’s telecast. I didn’t see much of that game so I have no idea. 

I am not surprised. Rod is just so awful and Mario seems like more of a pro. I can see Mario hating Rod’s act, and I can see Rod not being too pleased with Mario’s disdain for him, especially if Mario is poking at Rod during the games.

I have long speculated that they did not like each other. He who shall not be named wrote an article about it quite a few years ago stating that apparently the two of them were called on the carpet regarding their relationship.

That said, Mario, while milquetoast, is a consummate professional and I am sure Rod's lack of prep coupled with his fake clown act has to be draining. 

Rod will lose this battle because Mario is a true company man.

The odd thing is that it's not as if they are unfamiliar with each other. They've been working together for quite awhile, so I wonder what could have been said/done to put one of them over the edge like this. They've obviously been trying to separate the two as much as possible by bringing in Jack and Gibby to replace Rod the past couple of years.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Rod may feel that Mario is responsible for his reduced time in the booth. Especially this year, it seems like it has been Gibby as often as Rod. All it could take then is Mario making a comment about how much he enjoys working with Gibby, and "boom" goes Rod.

As boring as I find Mario to be, I realized last night how good he was by seeing how bad Gibby and Shepp were. 

I never minded Rods schtick, but man I MUCH prefer Gibby to him.  Keep Mario, dump Rod, then try to get Gibby to do away games.

23 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

As boring as I find Mario to be, I realized last night how good he was by seeing how bad Gibby and Shepp were. 

I like Gibson. Too bad he has medical issues. I liked Josh Lewin too. I really miss Kaline and Kell that was the best team. 

• Like 2

Rod:  "I see you big fella"   

Mario:  "Is that a weight crack?"

Rod:  "It's whatever you think it is"

Mario: "You know I am sensitive about the weight, so I think it's a weight crack"

Rod:  "Second Deck"

(Fists fly)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I have long speculated that they did not like each other. He who shall not be named wrote an article about it quite a few years ago stating that apparently the two of them were called on the carpet regarding their relationship.

That said, Mario, while milquetoast, is a consummate professional and I am sure Rod's lack of prep coupled with his fake clown act has to be draining. 

It has actually been pretty obvious for years that they don't get along and that their broadcast relationship is completely forced.  

this seems logical.

I'm sure one, if not both, will be suspended a couple more games. Then, when they're both back, they'll tell us about how good of "friends" they are and that even friends have disagreements. 

Rod is toast after this season. 

Rod should lose this battle, Mario is a better announcer.

• Like 1