Motor City Sonics

Let the Dan Gilbert/Tigers speculation begin

It makes an awful lot of conclusions off of assumptions that don't necessarily follow.

Rather than tying anything down, they basically buried the org under a mountain of rope and argued there must be a knot in there somewhere.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It makes an awful lot of conclusions off of assumptions that don't necessarily follow.

Rather than tying anything down, they basically buried the org under a mountain of rope and argued there must be a knot in there somewhere.

I agree....

The Greenberg thing is interesting when it's written that way but.... maybe he visits every club. Maybe he's shy or figures nobody cares who he is.  He's an executive so he wears a suit and carries a briefcase.  When he comes to Detroit maybe he goes out to look at his dad's statue. Perhaps nothing was made of it not for secrecy but in a "who cares?  He's been here a lot of times" way.

Maybe the changes in the front office are just normal transitions you go through with new hires.  They have to change up the way they sell tickets now given the state of the team.  

I don’t live in the Detroit area so I’ll ask as an outsider, was the writer accurate in her description of how the Avila extension went down? How it became public, the timing, etc.? Details in general?

25 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I don’t live in the Detroit area so I’ll ask as an outsider, was the writer accurate in her description of how the Avila extension went down? How it became public, the timing, etc.? Details in general?

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It was low key, as described.

And it may have been “buried” because Ilitch and Avila aren’t *that* stupid and understand that when a team is losing a lot of games, an extension for the GM is bound to create a fair amount of negative press and difficult questions. They know the natives are restless. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Gilbert very well may want to buy the tigers. And Chris may want to sell them. But that blog post sucks. 

I don't think it sucked.  It's OK as far as blog posts go.  I don't think it warrants the attention it's getting though.  It's a lot of speculation, the same kind of speculation I have seen on twitter.  

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think it sucked.  It's OK as far as blog posts go.  I don't think it warrants the attention it's getting though.  It's a lot of speculation, the same kind of speculation I have seen on twitter.  

It sucks because a fair amount of the “evidence” could be interpreted as supporting the opposite conclusion. Basically, the things that make a team for “valuable” to a buyer also make it more “valuable” to the present owner. 

39 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

i thought it was fine.  i post that draws people's interests to an interesting theory and gets people talking.

its not a journalism piece, its a blog post.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

i thought it was fine.  i post that draws people's interests to an interesting theory and gets people talking.

its not a journalism piece, its a blog post.

Because I have been reading that blog site every day for many months now ..it is my humble opinion that Horning seems to fervently believe that her speculations are wholly accurate and true.  She also seems to arrogantly portray a self-image that folks should believe her because she has 'inner' knowledge obtained from multiple unnamed sources.

LOL ... in a delightfully humorous way ..I get more enjoyment in reading the comments.  Seriously, some of those who comment regularly ..will most often wholeheartedly agree with every word she writes.

15 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Because I have been reading that blog site every day for many months now ..it is my humble opinion that Horning seems to fervently believe that her speculations are wholly accurate and true.  She also seems to arrogantly portray a self-image that folks should believe her because she has 'inner' knowledge obtained from multiple unnamed sources.

I have read her occasionally and have noticed all of this too.  She writes fairly well, but I don't know why I should believe anything she says.  

Reading through that blog post reminded me of something I’d completely pushed out of my mind: that Ilitch almost bought the Pistons and would have owned three major professional teams in the same market. God, how terrible that would have been. 

Has any other owner owned three teams at one time?

I think the blog post is interesting speculation. I hope she’s right. I hope this organization is bought by somebody with money, that they fire everybody and put in new people like the Astros did minus the violence against women stuff. 

It’s basically saying that Santa Claus may be real. There is a hopeful Sherlock Holmes element to it that I like. 

On 10/23/2019 at 12:31 PM, Shelton said:

And it may have been “buried” because Ilitch and Avila aren’t *that* stupid and understand that when a team is losing a lot of games, an extension for the GM is bound to create a fair amount of negative press and difficult questions. They know the natives are restless. 

I don't doubt this...but they are doing a damn good imitation of guys who dont give a hoot in **** about what the natives think.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:11 PM, chasfh said:

Reading through that blog post reminded me of something I’d completely pushed out of my mind: that Ilitch almost bought the Pistons and would have owned three major professional teams in the same market. God, how terrible that would have been. 

Has any other owner owned three teams at one time?

Wayne Huizenga owned the Dolphins, Marlins, and Panthers in the late 90s.