Motor City Sonics

Let the Dan Gilbert/Tigers speculation begin

"the guess here is...."

I know what you mean... opinion is presented as fact but not in a way meant to mislead, just the writing style.  You can't tell if it's based on inside knowledge or just their speculation.  

I remember he wrote that column saying that all the signs pointed to the team not going with Matt Shepard as the TV guy and wanting to make a big splash and not have a transitional figure, then like the next day Matt was announced.  But the way he wrote it was so definitive you thought for sure he knew something but didn't want to let any sources be exposed.

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That writer reminds me of Lynn Henning.  That is neither a compliment nor insult.  Just an observation.    

This is why your blog didn't catch fire, you need to speculate wildly.   Something along the lines of -  "my sources tell me that's Lynn Henning writing under a pseudonym" - even if your source is Biggs.    That kind of writing and nude pictures of Jennifer Garner will get you traffic.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

That writer reminds me of Lynn Henning.  That is neither a compliment nor insult.  Just an observation.    

no, it's an insult.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Tell you what—if what another blog is saying is true, Chris Ilitch should be ostracized and cast out for ruining what's basically a public trust. This isn't a goddam widget factory he's running.

I agree. A baseball franchise is not just another business. People go to sporting events to escape from the banality of the day-in-day-out reality of their lives. They don’t deeply identify with a team and spend money on it because it reminds them of a financial spreadsheet.

Hollowing out this franchise to make it mean and lean for resale is just a different version of what corporate raiders do when they gut out a company and sell off the assets piecemeal. It’s the same motivation expressed in different ways.

Undermining people’s sense of personal identification with the team to nothing more than “brand loyalty” is to completely misunderstand the nature of this “business.“

• Thanks 1

im not sure dan gilbert would be an upgrade on the illitchs as owner.  gilbert is a notorious cheap *** who only won anything because he had the greatest player in the league on his team, then proceeded to alienate said player.

of course, if gilbert can get mlb to rig its draft process for the tigers the way the nba rigged it for cleveland, then by all means, bring on dan gilbert!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Thanks...

It actually provided a lot more detail than I expected.  I never heard of this or those people but it was a good read.

I would like to second that. 

12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

im not sure dan gilbert would be an upgrade on the illitchs as owner.  gilbert is a notorious cheap *** who only won anything because he had the greatest player in the league on his team, then proceeded to alienate said player.

of course, if gilbert can get mlb to rig its draft process for the tigers the way the nba rigged it for cleveland, then by all means, bring on dan gilbert!

Cleveland managed to lowball Chauncey Billups for an executive position. I'm not enthused for a Gilbert owned team but I despise the Illitch's more.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Only issue is she says it "Dee-troit" Tigers instead of "de-Troit".  

What is the origin of this difference? 

I know about the Billups thing but is there any other examples of Gilbert being cheap?

The Cavs routinely had a top payroll and even in the years they were bad they kept a middle of the pack one.    I'm not saying he isn't I'm just genuinely curious where this narrative came from.  

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know about the Billups thing but is there any other examples of Gilbert being cheap?

The Cavs routinely had a top payroll and even in the years they were bad they kept a middle of the pack one.    I'm not saying he isn't I'm just genuinely curious where this narrative came from.  

Gilbert is cheap Blog

5 hours ago, Oblong said:

The bits about internal budgets being cut and some staff being let go was something I never heard before... not that I am anything special and would know of these things if they happened...

I do know they brought in a new person to lead the ticket sales, I think from the Marlins org.  I saw some improvements already at the end of the season.  That tells me they do care.  Selling tickets to this team right now is a thankless job.  Nothing will help as much as a winning team but hte marketing people have no control over that.  They now offer "memberships" and that includes other events we get invited to.  I know it's not a new concept in sports but it's new for the Tigers. My ticket rep contacts me quite a bit now where before it was twice a year, once to renew and the other midway int he season to see how things were.  Only issue is she says it "Dee-troit" Tigers instead of "de-Troit".  That bugs me.  But she sounds cute as a bug.  I think she also says "buh-en" instead of "Button"  (that was an old take by me if you remember)

Is she a millennial? I've recently observed that so many of them drop that "t" and completely nasalize the "n": Charlie "Mor-ehn"; "Manha-ehn"; I'm "cer-ehn"; etc. I don't hear X-ers or Boomers do that. Drives me nuts. 

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is she a millennial? I've recently observed that so many of them drop that "t" and completely nasalize the "n": Charlie "Mor-ehn"; "Manha-ehn"; I'm "cer-ehn"; etc. I don't hear X-ers or Boomers do that. Drives me nuts. 

It has been a while since I have been able to add something to the "we hate millenials" list, this is definitely a new one.

Buh-en?  I haven't noticed that one but I hate it instantly.  Not as much as I hate "dudden" for "doesn't".  That's not millennial though, it's Golf Channel white guy baby boomer.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, not sure what to tell you. I thought all Americans did this. I'm pretty sure most do and you just don't notice it unless someone young does it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I know exactly what you’re talking about. It sounds so juvenile.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

She is not. 

And I cant remember the instance, but I remember the picture. And the back of my head is that she did something that screamed "run away!"

Edit: I think it may be she spammed the old mlive board with her blog and was often wrong on things or just silly on her posts.

21 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I agree. A baseball franchise is not just another business. People go to sporting events to escape from the banality of the day-in-day-out reality of their lives. They don’t deeply identify with a team and spend money on it because it reminds them of a financial spreadsheet.

Hollowing out this franchise to make it mean and lean for resale is just a different version of what corporate raiders do when they gut out a company and sell off the assets piecemeal. It’s the same motivation expressed in different ways.

Undermining people’s sense of personal identification with the team to nothing more than “brand loyalty” is to completely misunderstand the nature of this “business.“

Its sensible for any business preping for a sale to reduce the long term debt. It increases the value. That said sports teams are a bit different as you note. 

It makes sene to strip a bit of the debt before selling (think like the royals did) but if you had successive bad years that will just lower the value in addition to the debt. Chris has stripped it down to the bottom and been bad it would be the definition of selling low. 

And I know why its fun, but Chris gets a bad assumption when it comes to this. From all indication he is is a baseball fan, he's engaged with the teams, he's not 90 and has shown no intention to sell. But, people make this jump that he is eagar or willing to sell the team without any real evidence. I think he's just stripped it down to get rid of dad's spending and it doesn't make sense to continue to pay for a $150 million roster to put up the same results that $70 million will. That's just throwing away money. 

• Thanks 1

If he's going to run this like a widget factory...they need to move to Tarrytown.

I too think that people are jumping the gun on Ilitch.  Weren't people complaining about the Tigers guaranteeing like 20 million to the likes of Harrison, Moore and Ross?  He could've filled those roles with minor leaguers and saved 18 million.

Also he ate a bunch of Verlander's contract to presumably get a better deal.  They didn't have to do that either.  

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

Yeah, not sure what to tell you. I thought all Americans did this. I'm pretty sure most do and you just don't notice it unless someone young does it. 

I don't do that.  I drop R's. Not T's

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't do that.  I drop R's. Not T's

How do you say sit down?