Motor City Sonics

Let the Dan Gilbert/Tigers speculation begin

I'm late to this discussion, but keep in mind also that interest rates are increasing and Gilbert's core business, despite all his other interests, is the mortgage business.  Increasing interest rates may be slowing Quicken's mortgage biz such that, as somebody said, he may have needed to have more liquid assets and this was a way to do it.

20 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

I'm late to this discussion, but keep in mind also that interest rates are increasing and Gilbert's core business, despite all his other interests, is the mortgage business.  Increasing interest rates may be slowing Quicken's mortgage biz such that, as somebody said, he may have needed to have more liquid assets and this was a way to do it.

Get that non-speculative junk outta here......

Just read on another blog that says Mike Ilitch continues to run the Detroit Tigers as lean as possible to set it up for a sale to Dan Gilbert.

Seriously?????

Is the Dan Gilbert speculation picking up steam again the past month or so?

Tell you what—if what another blog is saying is true, Chris Ilitch should be ostracized and cast out for ruining what's basically a public trust. This isn't a goddam widget factory he's running.

• Thanks 1

Gilbert's stroke could have been the reason why the rumors died down. Maybe now he is recovered and ready to buy. I'm game for anything that gets the Illitch clan out of Detroit as much as possible.

I think they will sell it within 2 years but I also wonder on the value considering all the parking... I can't see Olympia giving up any lots and I assume they also own those right next to the stadium off Woodward and the one near Adams and John R.

Olympia still retains a ton of benefit via parking so their presence in the area stays almost the same... guess tht's all factored into the sale price.  

I don't think it has to necessarily be Gilbert. There's a lot of billionaires out there and it doesn't have to be a big name or even a local one.  Nobody knew who the **** Tom Gores was.

I may start a blog so I can monetize wild rumors.  It seems to work in many areas of interest.

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I think they will sell it within 2 years but I also wonder on the value considering all the parking... I can't see Olympia giving up any lots and I assume they also own those right next to the stadium off Woodward and the one near Adams and John R.

Olympia still retains a ton of benefit via parking so their presence in the area stays almost the same... guess tht's all factored into the sale price.  

I don't think it has to necessarily be Gilbert. There's a lot of billionaires out there and it doesn't have to be a big name or even a local one.  Nobody knew who the **** Tom Gores was.

These prices for teams are getting to the point where you won't see single owners anymore. The Tigers could go for anywhere from $1 billion to $1.5 billion. Not many single owners will pony up that kind of cash so we will start to see more ownership groups and probably more former players. I doubt the Illitch cartel will sell their parking lots and derelict properties. Some sort of revenue sharing agreement would need to be worked out. It could be lucrative for a new owner since a lot of those spaces by Comerica are probably used for Red Wings and Pistons games. New Tigers owner gets a piece of that pie and the Illitch cartel gets a piece of the Tigers pie.

30 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I may start a blog so I can monetize wild rumors.  It seems to work in many areas of interest.

I started a blog which was rational and tried to find the truth.  Nobody read it.  Maybe I was going about it all wrong.  

the best part of a Dan Gilbert-owned Tigers team?  No more $18 Hot and Ready pizzas at the CoPa.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I suspect it was due to the picture of yourself that you uploaded to the blog.

It certainly didn't help.  

24 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Thanks...

It actually provided a lot more detail than I expected.  I never heard of this or those people but it was a good read.

They've been speculating on their blog for the past couple of  years that the Tigers may be sold.  But actually, ..those rumors have been alive ever since Mr Mike Ilitch was not alive. 

I find it amusing.  

My guess is that Chris Ilitch will not sell the Tigers without his family's permission ..including & especially Marian Ilitch.  Personally, I highly doubt she would approve selling the Tigers. 

22 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Thanks...

It actually provided a lot more detail than I expected.  I never heard of this or those people but it was a good read.

I agree.

I will say some 10-12 years ago someone posted a blog from a guy (presumably) who called himself Frank the Tank, and he was writing about who would be the (then) 12th team in the Big 10.  It was extremely detailed, extremely well reasoned and presented.

His conclusion was the only question around Texas joining the Big 10 wasn't if, but when.  He reckoned it just made too much sense for both parties, and both parties really couldn't do better elsewhere, to not happen.

The point being, even if something appears to make a bunch of sense and there is a lot of smoke around to indicate a fire, well, the optimal or obvious solution doesn't always come to pass.

The bits about internal budgets being cut and some staff being let go was something I never heard before... not that I am anything special and would know of these things if they happened...

I do know they brought in a new person to lead the ticket sales, I think from the Marlins org.  I saw some improvements already at the end of the season.  That tells me they do care.  Selling tickets to this team right now is a thankless job.  Nothing will help as much as a winning team but hte marketing people have no control over that.  They now offer "memberships" and that includes other events we get invited to.  I know it's not a new concept in sports but it's new for the Tigers. My ticket rep contacts me quite a bit now where before it was twice a year, once to renew and the other midway int he season to see how things were.  Only issue is she says it "Dee-troit" Tigers instead of "de-Troit".  That bugs me.  But she sounds cute as a bug.  I think she also says "buh-en" instead of "Button"  (that was an old take by me if you remember)

That writer reminds me of Lynn Henning.  That is neither a compliment nor insult.  Just an observation.