Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

2018 NFL/Lions Predictions

Recommended Posts

AFC East
1. New England (2)  Lucky they are in the weakest division in football, their run is coming to a close.
2. NY Jets
3. Miami
4. Buffalo

AFC North
1. Pittsburgh (1)    Another team in a weak division
2. Baltimore
3. Cincinnati
4. Cleveland

AFC South
1. Jacksonville (3)  Last year was no fluke
2. Houston  (5)
3.  Tennessee
4. Indianapolis

AFC West
1. Kansas City  (4)   Regular Season Reid Strikes Again
2. LA Chargers (6)
3. Denver
4. Oak Vegas

(3) Jacksonville over (6) LA Chargers
(5) Houston over (4) Kansas City
 

(1) Pitssburgh over (5) Houston
(3) Jacksonville over (2) New England

(3) Jacksonville over (1) Pittsburgh

 

NFC East
1. Philadelphia (2)   Slight Super Bowl hangover
2. Dallas
3. Washington
4. NY Giants

NFC North
1. Minnesota (3)  Balanced team all around
2. Green Bay (5)
3. Chicago
4. Detroit   6-10.   QB's, RBs and TEs will shred this team.  All.....year.....long

NFC South
1. New Orleans (4)  Too many weapons
2. Carolina (6)
3. Atlanta
4. Tampa Bay

NFC West
1. LA Rams (1)   They are banking on right now
2. San Francisco
3. Seattle 
4. Arizona

 

(3) Minnesota over (6) Carolina
(4) New Orleans (5) Green Bay

(1) LA Rams over (4) New Orleans
(3) Minnesota over (2) Philadelphia

(1) LA Rams over (3) Minnesota

 

Super Bowl Champs.      LA Rams 34, Jacksonville 24

Image result for la rams logo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't know about the rest of the season but feel safe saying 0-1 to start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont know what to expect from the lions.  new coach and new defense.

on paper they look awful on defense and good on offense. they shored up two huge weaknesses on offense in ragnow and johnson and they have a great qb and talented receivers.  if the line is finally fixed, they should be one of the better offenses in the league.  is it fixed?  it didnt look like it in preseason, but preseason is meaningless.

but that defense!  oh lord.  can scheme cover up for the worst front seven in the league?  look, the patriots arent that great in their front seven either but get by with the best offense in football, great special teams, and red zone luck.  that has to be the lions' formula too for next year.  lots of yards but holding the opponent to lots of field goals.

 is that enough to win? who knows?  the division welcomes back the best qb in football and welcomes in the best pass rushing de in football.  the vikings should regress in the passing game but the defense is still stout.  i doubt the lions sweep the pack and bears again this year, and i doubt the vikes lose their best offensive player halfway through the game again.

unfortunately for stafford this could be another rebuilding year, this time on defense.

stupid predictions:

stafford is lights out.  lions finally get a rusher over 100 yards.  johnson is in the running for rookie of the year.  ragnow and glasgow play well, decker disappoints, lang and wagner show their age a bit.  it all adds up to a really good offense (top 10) but not a dominant offense (top 3).

the defense is horrible...but not the worst.  slay makes another pro bowl but quin loses a step.  jarad davis continues to disappoint.  the lions cant cover tight ends or #2 receivers and the limited pass rush that comes from the line isnt enough to stop teams from finding open recievers.  the pass rush, while not good, is better than last year.  ansah plays at least 12 games and is better than he has been since suh left.

7-9 thanks to stafford's usual late game heroics and an improved running game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I saw on 538 some commentary that the packers and Vikings aren’t as good as they may seem. The Vikings had a lot of close game luck. The bears are still bad even with Mack. The pack are not that impressive outside of Rodgers. The lions are also mediocre. 

I think the division will be up for grabs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not out of the question that the Lions could score more than 450 points this season. (They scored 410 last season, good for 7th in NFL.) 

If they score 450, it would be hard to imagine them not making the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

It is not out of the question that the Lions could score more than 450 points this season. (They scored 410 last season, good for 7th in NFL.) 

If they score 450, it would be hard to imagine them not making the playoffs. 

it would be if they give up 500...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll stick with my usual pick of 9-7 but that is me being optimistic.  Like MCS I too have the Rams winning it all but I have them facing KC in the Super Bowl.  I think Mahomes really breaks out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

538 has the Rams and Lions both at 8-8, with the Lions having a slightly better odds at a better record, albeit with a lower eloRating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think I saw on 538 some commentary that the packers and Vikings aren’t as good as they may seem. The Vikings had a lot of close game luck. The bears are still bad even with Mack. The pack are not that impressive outside of Rodgers. The lions are also mediocre. 

I think the division will be up for grabs. 

Another thing about Minnesota is that they got such strong QB play by Keenum last year, particularly when it came to protecting the ball.  Some people like to lazily say "Minnesota won the division last year and now they added Cousins so they are going to be even better" and that is just lazy.  Cousins has never posted a 3 to 1 TD to interception ratio like Keenum did last year or a QBR of 75 like him.  In fact Cousins hasn't really even been close to that QBR in 4 years. 

Basically Cousins isn't likely to match the efficiency that Keenum did or the effectiveness.  So even though on paper they upgraded at QB and I think over the long haul Cousins is a better QB than Keenum he isn't a better QB than 2017 Keenum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Another thing about Minnesota is that they got such strong QB play by Keenum last year, particularly when it came to protecting the ball.  Some people like to lazily say "Minnesota won the division last year and now they added Cousins so they are going to be even better" and that is just lazy.  Cousins has never posted a 3 to 1 TD to interception ratio like Keenum did last year or a QBR of 75 like him.  In fact Cousins hasn't really even been close to that QBR in 4 years. 

Basically Cousins isn't likely to match the efficiency that Keenum did or the effectiveness.  So even though on paper they upgraded at QB and I think over the long haul Cousins is a better QB than Keenum he isn't a better QB than 2017 Keenum.

vikes and packers are probably both 10-6ish teams if their qbs stay healthy.

lions could be a 10-6 team if their defense can overperform or they get lucky with turnovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buddha said:

vikes and packers are probably both 10-6ish teams if their qbs stay healthy.

lions could be a 10-6 team if their defense can overperform or they get lucky with turnovers.

Agreed. And with so many head to head games among those teams, it’s just going to come down to who does better in those games. They could all go 6-4 outside the division. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

538 has the Rams and Lions both at 8-8, with the Lions having a slightly better odds at a better record, albeit with a loser eloRating.

That surprises me, admittedly I'm being pretty lazy in picking them having not checked their advanced numbers from last year or breaking down their schedule.  I just think the NFC West is weak and they are a clear favorite there so they should make the playoffs, factor that in with their defense and running game and I think they would be a tough out once they get there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

That surprises me, admittedly I'm being pretty lazy in picking them having not checked their advanced numbers from last year or breaking down their schedule.  I just think the NFC West is weak and they are a clear favorite there so they should make the playoffs, factor that in with their defense and running game and I think they would be a tough out once they get there.  

theyre just looking at regression from last year and figuring the rams arent going to get lucky like that again.  same with the vikes.

not sure how you can rate the packers based on anything from last year considering rogers didnt play a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Buddha said:

it would be if they give up 500...

Ha! I suppose nothing is out of the question. But Houston was last in the league last year, giving up 436 points. 

There are surprises each season that, in retrospect, aren’t surprising. If this OL can finally perform, and the running game can finally click, it would be easy to imagine this team scoring a lot of points, and Matt Stafford winning a lot of shootouts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So far, the Packers don't look good and Rodgers just limped off the field. 

The Bears have themselves a team. Mack has been on limited snaps and has dominated this game. Roquan Smith gets a sack on his first NFL snap, on a play Mack destroyed. 

And Mack gets a TD  

The Bears games are where we find out if Quinn’s OL investments paid off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still not sold on Trubisky. If Rodgers is out for an extended period of time, I think the Lions are second in the division. I also wasn't overly impressed with Minnesota either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodgers out for an extended period of time would change the entire complexion of the division. Even a month without him may leave them in the dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bears defense is legitimately good.  They will be tough to play all year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So far, the Packers don't look good and Rodgers just limped off the field. 

You just won't give the Bears any credit.  They were kicking the Packers' *** even before Rogers got hurt.

With that defense, Trubisky just has to be competent and they're going to win some games.

The Packers are done.  Worst team in the division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I like anybody getting hurt, but the Lions have the Packers at home week 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buddha said:

You just won't give the Bears any credit.  They were kicking the Packers' *** even before Rogers got hurt.

With that defense, Trubisky just has to be competent and they're going to win some games.

The Packers are done.  Worst team in the division.

I don't think the Packers are very good. They are more like the Lions than people want to admit. The Bears defense is legit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×