Jump to content

Tenacious D

The Tigers should try and sign Manny Machado

Recommended Posts

per Fangraphs, MM has provided an average value of $38m per year over the last 6 years

a contract at 8/240mm would be a steal

too bad Chris Ilitch is burdened with a $110mm payroll

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

per Fangraphs, MM has provided an average value of $38m per year over the last 6 years

a contract at 8/240mm would be a steal

too bad Chris Ilitch is burdened with a $110mm payroll

 

Too bad Miguel Cabrera doesn't just retire so we don't have to pay him anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Machado signs anywhere near the White Sox offer a couple years from now when all these tanking teams are trying to contend they are going to be kicking themselves for not giving him that money.     Players like him at his age don't grow on trees.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

per Fangraphs, MM has provided an average value of $38m per year over the last 6 years

a contract at 8/240mm would be a steal

too bad Chris Ilitch is burdened with a $110mm payroll

 

8/240 would be an albatross for the last 3-4 years of the contract when he is providing less than $10MM of value per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, diaspora04 said:

8/240 would be an albatross for the last 3-4 years of the contract when he is providing less than $10MM of value per year.

He’s only 26.  Really think he’s going to fall apart at age 31-32?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

He’s only 26.  Really think he’s going to fall apart at age 31-32?

You're right.  I thought he was 28.  On the positive side, he is nearly young enough to possibly be the son of Deuce.

I retract my earlier albatross comment.  Of course, there is still the chance of injury, but there always is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

You're right.  I thought he was 28.  On the positive side, he is nearly young enough to possibly be the son of Deuce.

I retract my earlier albatross comment.  Of course, there is still the chance of injury, but there always is.

That’s what makes him so attractive in free agency—even at 8 years, you’re not committing to his eventual decline like most lengthy contracts contain, I.e., Cabby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

You're right.  I thought he was 28.  On the positive side, he is nearly young enough to possibly be the son of Deuce.

 

He would have been just seven.  It seems unlikely, but it can't be ruled out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He would have been just seven.  It seems unlikely, but it can't be ruled out.  

Kindergarten nap time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

Kindergarten nap time?

Deuce was ahead of the curve on this Hot for Teacher thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Deuce was ahead of the curve on this Hot for Teacher thing.

Indeed he was. The teacher loved his water bed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 11:32 PM, Tenacious D said:

I realize that we are in full-blown rebuild mode, but Machado plays a position of need and is only 26 years old.  Someone is going to have to pony up for 8-10 years, at $30 mil per.  That would take him to age 35-37.  We now have the payroll flexibility and he’s a generational talent at a premium position, along with Correa and Lindor.  He’s also a guy to help market the team for the next couple of years until all of the youngsters arrive and would be a part of the next championship team.  He also won’t require surrendering a draft pick to the team that signs him.

the question will be what his market looks like?  Any team could have signed J.D. Martinez this offseason, and he lasted until January.  If teams are fiscally conservative again, the best offer might get him.  

Time to put a pin in this—while I was originally open to the contract he received from SD, I’m glad we didn’t commit that long.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Time to put a pin in this—while I was originally open to the contract he received from SD, I’m glad we didn’t commit that long.

 

If he stays healthy (always a risk), the Padres should easily get surplus value from this contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To **** with surplus value. I wish the tigers had signed him. I’m disappointed they didn’t. If the tigers can’t manage to build a winner in the next 10 years then what are we even doing?

I feel the same way about Harper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

To **** with surplus value. I wish the tigers had signed him. I’m disappointed they didn’t. If the tigers can’t manage to build a winner in the next 10 years then what are we even doing?

I feel the same way about Harper. 

Then we are entering the Randy Smith Jr era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shelton said:

To **** with surplus value. I wish the tigers had signed him. I’m disappointed they didn’t. If the tigers can’t manage to build a winner in the next 10 years then what are we even doing?

I feel the same way about Harper. 

They are waiting for 2020:  Mike Trout and Mookie Betts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They are waiting for 2020:  Mike Trout and Mookie Betts.  

Who knows what they are thinking but there is some truth to this philosophy.  Dan Patrick raised the question today if the Yankees could have a do over on the Stanton trade, would they take it if it meant having Harper instead.  There are a few guys becoming free agents in the next few years I like better than both Machado and Harper.  The flip side is there is no guarantee you can land one of them.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hart said:

Who knows what they are thinking but there is some truth to this philosophy.  Dan Patrick raised the question today if the Yankees could have a do over on the Stanton trade, would they take it if it meant having Harper instead.  There are a few guys becoming free agents in the next few years I like better than both Machado and Harper.  The flip side is there is no guarantee you can land one of them.   

Is Harper substantially better than Stanton? The Yankees didn’t give up anything for Stanton from what I remember. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shelton said:

Is Harper substantially better than Stanton? The Yankees didn’t give up anything for Stanton from what I remember. 

I don't think he is.  He is a bigger draw but I would say as far as production goes, they are on the same level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,251
    • Total Posts
      2,849,040
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×