Tenacious D

The Tigers should try and sign Manny Machado

3 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I was never entertained by watching Iglesias try to hit.  Unlike with the Lions, I do not want the Tigers to provide comic relief.

You certainly must have had your full quota of entertainment yesterday Lions vs Vikes. 

I didn't watch .. refuse to watch 'that' team .. save my laughing for next morning when checking scores on internet.

5 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I was never entertained watching Iglesias try to hit.  Unlike with the Lions, I do not want the Tigers to provide comic relief.

I thought his defense was entertaining.  When you are following a team where pretty much nobody is entertaining, an elite defender stands out.  

21 hours ago, Longgone said:

And just who would you offer $17.9 million to? These were guys we couldn't give away at the deadline.

B-b-bbut, Jason Beck says we NEED  a veteran SS to replace Iggy!  Offering him $17.9M would  be cheaper than Machado, so  that way regardless if he  stayed or went elsewhere, it's win/win.  We either avoid a monster contract with Machado, OR we get a juicy comp  pick.

It's called "leverage"...☠️

21 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I, for one, think D&L is smarter than the front offices in MLB.

I see where Kershaw signed a new  contract where his yearly salary  actually went down.  And the MLBPA didn't have a hernia.

Perhaps there are sharper tacks out there than A-Rod? 

2 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

B-b-bbut, Jason Beck says we NEED  a veteran SS to replace Iggy!  Offering him $17.9M would  be cheaper than Machado, so  that way regardless if he  stayed or went elsewhere, it's win/win.  We either avoid a monster contract with Machado, OR we get a juicy comp  pick.

What does Machado have to do with anything?  

Is Iglesias worth $17.9M?  Because if the Tigers offered it, he’d take it.

I see where Kershaw signed a new  contract where his yearly salary  actually went down.  And the MLBPA didn't have a hernia.

Perhaps there are sharper tacks out there than A-Rod? 

The end of his contract went from 2/$65 to 3/$93.  Not much of a change to AAV.

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

maybe over 3yrs.

20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Factor in signing and performance bonuses:

2/$71.14 vs potential 3/$104.  

19 minutes ago, Casimir said:

And if he totally lost his mind and turned it down, a team would lose a pick to sign him, lowering the odds of him getting signed at all, whereby the Tigers would still get nothing.

8 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Factor in signing and performance bonuses:

2/$71.14 vs potential 3/$104.  

So, a little over $35M per to a little under $35M.  I don't call that much of a difference.

8 hours ago, Longgone said:

And if he totally lost his mind and turned it down, a team would lose a pick to sign him, lowering the odds of him getting signed at all, whereby the Tigers would still get nothing.

Yup.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

So, a little over $35M per to a little under $35M.  I don't call that much of a difference.

True .. basically a wash! 

The ball was in Kershaw's own hand to either opt-out and test the FA market or to remain with the Dodgers.

I cannot help but wonder why Kershaw decided to renegotiate for just one additional year ..unless he believes either his body will may not hold up for 3 more years or unless he believes he can still sign a very lucrative contract at age 33 as a FA.

10 hours ago, Longgone said:

Plus, to get a “good” draft pick, the guy you lost has to sign for more than 50 million. 

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

You always were the best one of us at the maths.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

True .. basically a wash! 

The ball was in Kershaw's own hand to either opt-out and test the FA market or to remain with the Dodgers.

I cannot help but wonder why Kershaw decided to renegotiate for just one additional year ..unless he believes either his body will may not hold up for 3 more years or unless he believes he can still sign a very lucrative contract at age 33 as a FA.

Kershaw was LA or bust and the Dodgers knew it so only plus one year.  

45 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

You always were the best one of us at the maths.

I'll be honest.  I used a spreadsheet to help out with that.

4 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

Manny Machado a Tiger?     What have you folks been drinking?       

The Orange koolaid but Biggs did warn us in time about the brown acid.

15 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

The Orange koolaid but Biggs did warn us in time about the brown acid.

Dude, you're not s'posed to talk about the sprinkler party details.  It was in the waiver you signed.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Dude, you're not s'posed to talk about the sprinkler party details.  It was in the waiver you signed.

I was told that the first and second rules of sprinkler party are that you have to talk about sprinkler party. 

21 hours ago, Casimir said:

The point carries over from another thread where Bigglesworth was  using A-Rod's  contract experience as a proof of sorts to claim that the players union would never support a player's pay being reduced via contract .....Since he was being uncharacteristically  charitable in this thread,...I thought I'd point out  the folly of absolutes with a little anecdotal example.

I'm sure there are a number of ways that an existing contract could be cooked, if the right creative minds are determined to find a way.

They allow teams to extend and amend contracts all the time so long as the player is ostensibly getting a raise.   You'd just have to be clever in the way you structured the "secret sauce".  Disclaimer:  The player would have to be a willing party to the ruse....but based on the earlier thread, that was a given.

1 hour ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Go  back and read the thread title.👓

It still didn't make sense in the context of your post. 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:37 PM, tiger337 said:

It still didn't make sense in the context of your post. 

Let's just say that I'm about as impressed with this organization's ruse of hiding their commitment to "cheap and controllable" behind  the pretext  of a rebuild as the next guy.

But then, I've never really been fond of Kool-aid...ymmv