Tenacious D

The Tigers should try and sign Manny Machado

3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

If you really believe this then there is zero reason to sign him.  Why blow the $$ and pollute your clubhouse if you're not trying to win?

Because watching Manny Machado play is much more entertaining than watching Pete Kozma play. 

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Because watching Manny Machado play is much more entertaining than watching Pete Kozma play. 

didn't we just have an entertaining SS and everyone dumped on him for it?....:confused:

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Machado = MS-13

Is that a new saber stat?

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

didn't we just have an entertaining SS and everyone dumped on him for it?....:confused:

No?  I mean, Alan Trammell was a long time ago.  

4 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Why blow the $$ and pollute your clubhouse if you're not trying to win?

Let's just say it's sarcasm, in response to Beck's assertion that we need to sign a veteran SS due to Iggy's election to pursue free agency. 

Personally, I feel that the organization's  claims that "we're rebuilding" is mostly a ruse to avoid payroll commitment. So,  signing a big bux player  like Machado would be........sweet revenge. The fact that Machado is a narcissistic cancer would just be icing on the cake!!

I wouldn't mind watching Machado play in "Texas like heat" for the next 5 years either, so if the Rangers signed him I'd be okay with that as well.

If the organization is serious about acquiring young prospects, they should have tendered qualifying offers to our departing free agents,  in order to get the draft picks. Of course, they would be too afraid that the guys might accept the offers....so much for said sincere desire.

3 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

If the organization is serious about acquiring young prospects, they should have tendered qualifying offers to our departing free agents,  in order to get the draft picks. Of course, they would be too afraid that the guys might accept the offers....so much for said sincere desire.

Let me guess who would be the first to complain if Victor Martinez was back on the team next year.  

18 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

And just who would you offer $17.9 million to? These were guys we couldn't give away at the deadline.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I, for one, think D&L is smarter than the front offices in MLB.

Definitely leaner

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

And just who would you offer $17.9 million to? These were guys we couldn't give away at the deadline.

afd21b44-37bb-40fa-bb7f-c7e974e5406e-JA2

• Like 1

I'd submit the entire lot of Tiger FAs won't receive $17.9M in 2019 salary.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I'd submit the entire lot of Tiger FAs won't receive $17.9M in 2019 salary.

Yup, To actually work it through I would guess three MLB guys they would hope to flip -  at an average of 6M each, and 4 guys at the minimum (if they stick), which would put them at $20M or less for the lot - but still less than Manny is looking for.

9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

afd21b44-37bb-40fa-bb7f-c7e974e5406e-JA2

They offered him more, but he had already made his decision to move on.  

40 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They offered him more, but he had already made his decision to move on.  

Yeah - I don't see the attraction of being a utility player on a team that is rebuilding. A utility guy is already at the bottom of the totem pole, but on a rebuilding team it you do get called up you are going to get bounced around for every wet behind the ears kid they want to look at. Who needs that when the money will probably be the same anyway?

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - I don't see the attraction of being a utility player on a team that is rebuilding. A utility guy is already at the bottom of the totem pole, but on a rebuilding team it you do get called up you are going to get bounced around for every wet behind the ears kid they want to look at. Who needs that when the money will probably be the same anyway?

He probably helped himself a bit by playing some 1B whilst with the organization.  It makes him a bit more versatile to carry.

I finally had to get in here to see why this thread is 4 pages

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I finally had to get in here to see why this thread is 4 pages

Are you surprised it has evolved into a discussion about Deuce?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

When did Deuce get involved in utilities?  

He couldn't believe what an untapped resource that was.  Better than numbers.   

20 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I was never entertained watching Iglesias try to hit.  Unlike with the Lions, I do not want the Tigers to provide comic relief.

• Like 1